• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

mbonwick

Established Member
From a purely fleet point of view, a reduction in Rennies work would certainly help in getting the oldest stuff out!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
From a purely fleet point of view, a reduction in Rennies work would certainly help in getting the oldest stuff out!

No! No! No! I have to take Stagecoach deckers (really, really s***e buses) to/from School and it's nowhere near as some of the Rennies stuff that turns up

mbonwick

Established Member
I doubt the normal Stagecoach fleet is as bad as Rennies school stuff!
K reg ex-MOD Javelins...they were screwed before Rennies bought em!

Don't forget that it won't necessarily be just the oldest Rennies deckers leaving.....

Jamester

Rennies are actually recruiting drivers at the moment as extra numbers are required for seasonal work.

I have heard that there was a gentleman's agreement between First and Stagecoach that they wouldn't compete against each other in certain areas. This agreement may have come to an end!! It may have more to do with Fife Council, who knows.

There are also rumours that Fife's EU work is being split so that it all comes under domestic driving rules. An example is the X26 which could be split Kirkcaldy for Kincardine then Kincardine for Glasgow. It has been suggested these changes will take place next month to coincide with a few minor timetable changes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Latest news on the grapevine is that Glenrothes is to be allocated new Volvo B13s for its X59 service. Both X24 and X59 services will not serve Cupar Crossgate, but will run via the railway station instead. A change which is long overdue in my opinion.

Word is Fife are desperate to get rid of the B7 coaches due to ongoing maintenance problems continually cropping up. But apparently they must be kept until they are at least 6 years old.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Rennies are actually recruiting drivers at the moment as extra numbers are required for seasonal work.

I have heard that there was a gentleman's agreement between First and Stagecoach that they wouldn't compete against each other in certain areas. This agreement may have come to an end!! It may have more to do with Fife Council, who knows.

There are also rumours that Fife's EU work is being split so that it all comes under domestic driving rules. An example is the X26 which could be split Kirkcaldy for Kincardine then Kincardine for Glasgow. It has been suggested these changes will take place next month to coincide with a few minor timetable changes.
Latest news on the grapevine is that Glenrothes is to be allocated new Volvo B13s for its X59 service. Both X24 and X59 services will not serve Cupar Crossgate, but will run via the railway station instead. A change which is long overdue in my opinion.

Word is Fife are desperate to get rid of the B7 coaches due to ongoing maintenance problems continually cropping up. But apparently they must be kept until they are at least 6 years old.

are they the ones which do the bulk of the cross forth express work? If so I aint surprised they want rid of them, every time I make a visit that side of water one breaks down.

Jamester

I think the main problem is these coaches are not designed for service runs like what they are being used for. The entrance door was probably not designed to be opened and closed every 2 minutes. Some parts of the route are not limited stop.

The plug points have had the fuses removed as passengers using them was putting too much strain on the battery. The points are also badly situated. They should have been wall mounted, instead they are facing upwards, collecting any falling debris, spilled drinks etc.

robertclark125

Established Member
18092 at Aberhill has become FRT1AL. But, for a good reason. This month is the 50th anniversary of the big split of Alexanders in 1961, creating three companies, Alexander (northern) in Aberdeen, Alexander (fife) in Kirkcaldy, and Alexander (Midland) in Larbert.

So basically, it's actually the 50th anniversary of the creation of what is todays Stagecoach Fife and its predecessors, Fife Scottish (which is its legal name), and Alexander (Fife). In keeping with this, today, 18092 was released into service in the original Ayres Red and cream of the Messers W Alexander and sons (fife) limited company, and in the advertising frames, are boards proclaiming the 50th anniversary.

I wonder, will the whole fleet be repainted into these colours?! But once again, it's good to see the Stagecoach group remembering its heritage and roots.

mbonwick

Established Member
FR - Fife Decker
T - Trident
1 - 18092 was the first Trident in East Scotland
AL - Aberhill

mbonwick

Established Member
Strathtay and Fife have now been merged into 1 region, East Scotland.
This is similar to the merger of Ribble and Cumberland to create Stagecoach North West.

Anyway, Period 1 fleetcard is in the usual place, and some further fleet news below;
22276 is now at St. Andrews after being re-engined by Cummins. It was to have replaced 22722, but as 16320 has been accident damaged (a looks like a scrapper), both are still in service.
22267, on loan from St. Andrews to Glenrothes is likely to be swapped with a 'standard' example to enable some engineering standardisation.

For the immediate future, St. Andrews will operate with a decker down but will need a replacement before the schools start back for the new year.

robertclark125

Established Member
First did not gain any Fife school contracts. All remained with Stagecoach, though Fife council are trying to look at staggering school hours to allow a reduction in vehicles and costs. Personally, building a High School in Kincardine on Forth, for pupils there, Culross, and Valleyfield, is better than an hour long bus journey to Dunfermline Queen Anne High school. The rise in costs could also be attributed to Fife council specifiying a 16 year age limit, according to one person on the letters page of the Dunfermline Press.

mbonwick

Established Member
17212, 17290, 17332 turned up at Rennies yesterday, ex-London with stopovers in Manchester and Glasgow.

They're probably there to get the fleet within the age limits...

robertclark125

Established Member
Rennies is a separate operation within the Stagecoach group, as are Stagecoach Fife, Stagecoach Merseyside. However, double deckers at Rennies are being left in Stagecoach swoops, due to the amount of changes which take place fleetwise. I would imagine 17292/90/332 at Rennies is just for prep before joining a main fleet, allowing older vehicles to move to Rennies.

mbonwick

Established Member
Rennies isn't a completely separate operation at all.

Yes its on a different license, but it's still part of Fife, even if the coaches have a different livery. It's like the Ribble/Cumberland licenses within NW.

robertclark125

Established Member
Right, got it all sorted now. The vast majority of contracts are remaining with Stagecoach Fife or Rennies. First Scotland east has got one school contract, requiring 6 buses, Prentice westwood a school contract for four vehicles, and Waverley travel a schools contract for 3 buses. That said, you have to wonder how cost effective it'll be for the latter two operators to send vehicles over the Forth Bridge and back. First can absorb the costs no problem. I have my doubts about the others.

And on the tendering point, I know in the past Fife Council had a monopoly prevention tendering policy, so that one operator could not have all the contracts in one area. Presumably this is a return to it, though, as I say, surely as other firms in Fife bidded, why couldn't they get the work?

We shall see what happens as regards this, but in the meantime, the local service contracts stay with stagecoach Fife.

On another point, I don't think we can expect a bus war like the 1997-2000 battle on the 19 corridor between stagecoach and First. But, do watch out because one way for First to place buses in Fife could be from Livingston. Nordi Travel runs a service, comemrcially, between Livingston and Dunfermline. First did run it years ago but pulled out. They may return, and may decide to try and fight back against the independents in Livingston and the immediate area. The main First interest therefor may not actually be in Fife......
The open top bus tours of St Andrews have started again for 2011

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/communit...tarts_st_andrews_open_top_bus_tours_1_1689697

One of the very few Leyland Titans still running for Stagecoach UK bus, and surely the only one in Scotland.

mbonwick

Established Member
Nope. The last 3 Stagecoach Titans are all in Scotland!
T5 - preserved by Western
11093 (I think) is an OT in Western white livery.

Jamester

Passed 3 X reg Tridents on the A92 earlier today. All are ex-East London and they are at Aberhill pesumably to be prepared for service. Looks like they have already been converted from double to single door. Not sure where they will end up, can't exactly recall fleet numbers but something like 17330, 17329 etc.

robertclark125

Established Member
several ex London Tridents have arrived. A consequence of this, and the contract changes is that all N reg Olympians at both Fife and Rennies have gone, and some S reg Olympians from Strathtay are at Rennies. In addition, the only Bova Futura in the stagecoach Group is up for sale.

mbonwick

Established Member
The S reg Olympians cascaded are because of the new E400s that have entered service.

All the ex-London Tridents are still undergoing conversion and are yet to make it out onto the road.

robertclark125

Established Member
I've no doubt by August 15th the ex London tridents will be out, as that's when the schools return. Incidentally, the Bova Futura up for disposal at rennies is 59261.

KendalKing

Established Member
several ex London Tridents have arrived. A consequence of this, and the contract changes is that all N reg Olympians at both Fife and Rennies have gone, and some S reg Olympians from Strathtay are at Rennies. In addition, the only Bova Futura in the stagecoach Group is up for sale.

The N-reg'd Olympians were seen abt 12-noon, leaving the M6 and joining M5 as I was returning from Devon.

Jamester

16450 is still at Aberhill, the destination screen has been removed. Glad to see the back of 16737. If it has been sold I pity whoever has bought it!

It will be interesting to see the allocation of the ex London Tridents. By my reckoning St.Andrews will need 3 deckers to replace 16428,16450 & 16320. They may get 3 Olympians if they don't need low floors. I don't think the tridents will be going to Rennies as they have all been repainted into Stagecoach Swoops. New seats are to be fitted where the 2nd door used to be.

mbonwick

Established Member
I don't think the low floor thing is such a big issue, the main thing is age.

Extra seats where the 2nd door used to be are expected, what I would be interested to know is whether the wheelchair bay will be moved to the front to meet DDA requirements.

It has been mentioned that none of these willl be for Rennies, but don't forget that none of the deckers currently at Rennies are in livery (all are in swoops)