• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach in the Lake District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, planning my first trip to the Lakes for a few weeks time. Been making use of bustimes to try and deduce allocations etc of routes. Noticed some buses interworking on and off the trunk 555 to the 755/6/X6. Anyone know exactly which timings/diagrams do this, or of any other interworking ? Hoping to ride a Trident or standard E400 on the 555 if possible - I notice Kendal have a few Tridents that appear from time to time.
Many Thanks.

PS made new thread as S/C NW fleet changes didn’t seem appropriate

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

Noticed some buses interworking on and off the trunk 555 to the 755/6/X6.

I don't think they do interwork as the 555 is branded?

Plenty of Enviros on the trunk routes in the lakes. Most of the tridents will be outside in Kendal/Barrow/Carlisle.

Nice scenery too.

randyrippley

Established Member
the current Kendal based 555 fleet (dating from two years ago) stay on the 555, except for the three (?) kept at Morecambe which are often used on the 40/42 to Preston / Lancaster and the 1/100/x2 to the University though with summer approaching they'll probably switch back to the 555 expresses routed up the M6.
What appears on the Barrow-Kendal 6/x6 are a small number of green painted Tridents which were spares at Kendal as backups to the old green 555 Enviro (?) fleet, these are now based at Barrow. I haven't seen any of the old dedicated 555 fleet for ages, though they were also on the 6/x6 for a while

755 uses anything lying spare at Morecambe, though I've never seen a green one on it

to put it another way
555 works from Kendal, with three spares kept at Morecambe
755 works from Morecambe
6/x6 works from Barrow
Kendal also runs most of the services around the central spine, including the open toppers and the "village" services north of Milnthorpe, many using green single deckers

Last edited:
I don't think they do interwork as the 555 is branded?

Plenty of Enviros on the trunk routes in the lakes. Most of the tridents will be outside in Kendal/Barrow/Carlisle.

Nice scenery too.

I didn’t think so either but found some occasions where buses had, unless these are errors, on the bustimes tracking database. There are still plenty of journeys that don’t show on there for whatever reason, but it gives a good rough idea. If this is trusted then :
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/40579?date=2019-06-01 10031 worked 755 and 555 yday
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/111208?date=2019-05-31 18140 worked 555 and X6 Friday
https://bustimes.org/vehicles/46969?date=2019-05-31 47007 worked 516 then 555 Friday

Have looked at photos and videos online, really looking forward to the scenery, doing the open top 78 and 508 routes too

the current Kendal based 555 fleet (dating from two years ago) stay on the 555, except for the three (?) kept at Morecambe which are often used on the 40/42 to Preston / Lancaster and the 1/100/x2 to the University though with summer approaching they'll probably switch back to the 555 expresses routed up the M6.
What appears on the Barrow-Kendal 6/x6 are a small number of green painted Tridents which were spares at Kendal as backups to the old green 555 Enviro (?) fleet, these are now based at Barrow. I haven't seen any of the old dedicated 555 fleet for ages, though they were also on the 6/x6 for a while

755 uses anything lying spare at Morecambe, though I've never seen a green one on it

to put it another way
555 works from Kendal, with three spares kept at Morecambe
755 works from Morecambe
6/x6 works from Barrow
Kendal also runs most of the services around the central spine, including the open toppers and the "village" services north of Milnthorpe, many using green single deckers

From latest fleet lists -
Kendal has 10552-9 with 555 branding and 18381/2 in green based S/C livery and beachball 18140 as spare for 555 I assume. These appear to be main vehicles on weekdays at moment
Morecambe has 10560-3 in base Lakes Connection livery, which appear to see daily use on Saturdays now for the extras, with some other Morecambe vehicles appearing too - https://bustimes.org/services/555-lancaster-keswick/vehicles?date=2019-06-01 is yesterday’s list.

I may just be reading into this data a bit too far, after all it is rather new and does show some conflicting information. If the interworking is true, it’s certainly not something I would have expected to occur on a long route like the 555. As per lists, around 14/15 work the 555 with summer extras so I guess there’s always going to be a few non-branded MMCs on the route

Sandy Drew

If you have time, try and do a full circuit on the 77/77a - the journey through Buttermere and the Honister Pass is stunning.

Probably the most beautiful trip you’ll ever make on a solo! (Though in parts the road is only marginally wider than the bus!)

Wonderful part of the world - have a great trip.

mbonwick

Established Member
None of the 555, 755 or X6 interwork. But that doesn't stop vehicles dropping on/off them onto other routes.

Also doesn't look like bustimes has full data - 18140 worked to Barrow (but not back) on Friday, yet somehow has managed to work to Barrow again today...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
None of the 555, 755 or X6 interwork. But that doesn't stop vehicles dropping on/off them onto other routes.

Also doesn't look like bustimes has full data - 18140 worked to Barrow (but not back) on Friday, yet somehow has managed to work to Barrow again today...

In respect of the 555, it’s a very long route and that brings its own challenges in maintaining reliability so wouldn’t be surprised to see buses taken off and some mixing and matching.

mbonwick

Established Member
Correct. There's also the issue of fuel. From what I recall when I was using the 555 daily some years ago (back in the days of Olympians), there was a booked vehicle swap at Kendal when the 1725 ex Lancaster arrived so the incoming decker could be fuelled.

randyrippley

Established Member
Correct. There's also the issue of fuel. From what I recall when I was using the 555 daily some years ago (back in the days of Olympians), there was a booked vehicle swap at Kendal when the 1725 ex Lancaster arrived so the incoming decker could be fuelled.
actually I think that turn was a short run for a Morecambe based bus which was effectively an extra in the timetable, the full runs are all by Kendal buses. It was turned round at Kendal

mbonwick

Established Member
actually I think that turn was a short run for a Morecambe based bus which was effectively an extra in the timetable, the full runs are all by Kendal buses. It was turned round at Kendal
Nope, was never a Morecambe turn. In those days, ME only did the first 555 from Lancaster in the morning, which was a short to Kendal. Can't remember how the vehicle worked back however.

randyrippley

Established Member
Nope, was never a Morecambe turn. In those days, ME only did the first 555 from Lancaster in the morning, which was a short to Kendal. Can't remember how the vehicle worked back however.
school run maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.