• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
I'm not so sure. Carlisle depot gain a lot of school contracts this year from other operators - so the movement may have been a last minute decision as the buses were needed to meet the contractual requirements.

mbonwick

Established Member
22721 appeared on the 1547 Warton service today, an unusual working for a MAN HOCL, due to the lower seating capacity compared to a B10M.
Unsurprisingly, the service was packed to bursting.

driver9000

Established Member
14198-14210 are H74F with DP seating, originally used by Ribble on East Lancashire express services such as the X43.

After they moved to Lancaster they were mainly concentrated on routes 271-274 (todays 2/2A) and remained ever since until the dark days of 2002-2004 when they had the bright idea of making their busiest service a B10M operation. Thankfully this didnt last and eventually the Tridents appeared. Around 1994/1995 No.2208 (J208 HFR) was a celebrity bus - for want of a better description - and was painted bright yellow and became Lancasters 'Commerce bus' carrying small adverts for various local businesses. B10M No.463 was also painted into an allover advert for 'Mr.Ohms' electrical retailer at the same time.

MANs usually have a trip to Silverdale in the peaks - horrible things to take down country lanes!!

mbonwick

Established Member
You know driver9000, you really should write all your anecdotes down and make a book. They really do make interesting reading.

I can imagine MANs being difficult down country lanes. The main runs they do from Silverdale are for Ripley School in the mornings (usually operating along the 55A route through Bolton-le-Sands for some reason though). These days however, it's not uncommon to see a B10B on that run.

Which brings me nicely on to another point; the seats in the MANs seem to be being changed roubd. 22805 had its original seats, then it had old bus style ones. Now it's back with the latest seats - orange topped ones like on the 18xxx Tridents.

Not much else to mention really.......
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
16733/4 (N733/4 LTN) have arrived at Lillyhall from Stagecoach Lancashire. They are currently in reserve, but will eventuall reenter service with West Cumbria.

mbonwick

Established Member
There was major disruption last night, as a man was knocked down and killed by a HGV on morecambe road. To add to the problems, a car then caught fire, meaning that Greyhound Bridge was totally shut for quite a while.

Volvo B6 30277 was seen on a peak 2A service this evening, a very unusual working. 18327 was on the 1610 55A service.

driver9000

Established Member
second time in as many weeks the road has been closed around that area, there was a lorry over turn there one morning a couple of weeks back!

mbonwick

Established Member
Couple of weeks back? The week-before-last I think it was (I can't remember, it all blurrs into one...)

driver9000

Established Member
it was a week ago Wednesday - I was coming home from work and thankfully had the radio on and caught the traffic report so avoided town by going M6 and laughing at the poor saps queueing along Caton Rd, even the Solos on the 80 & 81 had caught up to each other!

mbonwick

Established Member
It was a nighmare.

Tell you what was worse though - the traffic lights on Caton road on Monday. A friend who gets the 81A which normally arrives about 0815 arrived at 1100 it was so bad!

I arrived at 0905, because the traffic was queued back from Total Fitness all the way back over Skerton bridge and back out of Lancaster.

cainebj

Established Member
F286 DRJ and J199 HFR should be back in service shortly, after being painted at lillyhall (i think they are stagecoach lancashire). havnt got any information on the bus numbers for these as yet.

it seems like lillyhall is in need of some new minibuses! one of the many K reg B10m's were running the moorclose circular 51 (normally operated by the ex preston solo's 47023 & 47024 or the 08 reg solo's 47616 & 47617). 4 of the 709d's at lillyhall are currently out of service. not sure what the reasons are as yet. hopefully they don't re-enter service!

mbonwick

Established Member
None of the fleetlists I've got has a F286 DRJ on them. They do have a F296 DRJ though, however this is a Northern Counties bodied example and is shown as awaiting disposal/transfer elsewhere.
J199 HFR is numbered 14199, based at Kendal.

If Lillyhall are short of 709Ds then there are plenty of B6s (from Lancaster) or Darts (ex-Preston) stored there that could probably be used.
The 709D is prone to gearbox seizures; as they are coming to the end of their working lives, Lillyhall fitters have been told not to carry out any more gearbox transfers.

cainebj

Established Member
yes, it is F296 DRJ, a Northern Counties bodied Leyland Olympian. it has been re-painted to enter service, but i don't have any information as yet on where it will be serving! it was new to greater manchester in 1989 apparently. must check if that is true! hard to put total trust in stagecoach trainee fitters! i have been told they are currently on the depot's "death row", but having just recieved new paint, it looks unlikely they will be disposed off or used for parts!

more disruptions for Lillyhall!
this morning, there were traffic queues of 45 minutes, which affected the 30 and 31 routes, both ran by the enviro 300's, versa, and some 56reg darts. services on the 31 were being cancelled mid-route, so buses could carry out the return journey. K reg B10m's were brought onto the service to support the other buses. for one of the 31 buses, it was a case of "all off at whitehaven, apart from stops at safeway, hillcrest and red lonning", so the bus could turn left at red lonning to head back towards workington, intstead of turning right heading for frizigton as planned. the stops after red lonning were still covered by the 31A whitehaven to frizington service, which ended up leaving whitehaven at the same time as the 31, and there would be no point having 2 buses going to the same place at same time!

there are so many spare buses in Lillyhall depot, so you would think that they would have the sense to get them up and running, replacing the out of service 709d's. the buses which used to cover the 17 / 17A (now 31A) are apparently still in the depot! they are M reg B6's. not sure how they look these days, but they seemed pretty good before replaced by the 56reg darts

mbonwick

Established Member
I can't see 14199 as being on Lillyhall's "Death Row". Kendal gave it an engine overhaul, sent ot to Preston for retrimming and tested it down to Lancaster serveral times.
14296 I can believe was on the line though, it's been in reserve for so long!

I think the reluctance to repair the stored buses, particularly Darts, is because of their delicencing. They'll have had their PSV licences and normal licences removed I would have though. It would make operational sense to return them to service, but we don't know what Head Office have planned.

The B6s are an accumulation of Lillyhall's own, Lancasters, Barrows, Kendals etc etc. They are just robbed of parts as and when needed in order to keep the others running. I guess some may be in operational reserve, to cover should the Carlisle floods be repeated.

Period 7 fleetlist attached, and I thought just for interest I'd also include a 2006 one...so much has changed so quickly!

Attachments

• Fleetlists.zip
    119.7 KB · Views: 4

cainebj

Established Member
i can confirm that both of those repainted olympians are on death row, but will be re-entering service! they are between a dart and a B6 apparently! must see if anyone has a photo of them!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardo4eyes/3032284845/

found one! he thinks they are stagecoach lancashire too! must be a little confusion over them at lillyhall! thats 2 of the staff i know of who thought ex lancashire!

mbonwick

Established Member
I am 200% sure that 14199 is ex-Kendal, and I'm fairly sure that it's returning there for Dallam School services.

I've no idea about 14296, but looking at the 2006 list, it is shown as being at Preston then, so ex-Lancashire.

I'll get my mate to ask Gez about 14199 and 14296 next time I see him.

cainebj

Established Member
according to the fleet list i have, both of those olympians are north west reserves!

they are only on death row as a place to store them while in between workshop slots. there was apparently a S reg ALX400 there, in bay-link livery, waiting to go into workshops do be deroofed. must find out what condition it is currently in!

driver9000

Established Member
14199 was a Lancaster machine for a time and was one of the buses decapitated at Torrisholme Rd railway bridge - the other being 2203 (J203 HFR). 14199 Spent most of the 21st century so far working out of Preston generally looking tired, and driving like it was tired too!! 14203 has spent a long time working in Carlisle in recent years.

I still have nightmares about the 709D minibus, the worst one I drove was No.47 (E47 CHH) which was in deplorable condition gearbox wise, it had to be driven like a crash-gearbox despite it having a syncromesh box - it was a nippy though absolute flying machine on the Forton services contract!! Not much fun going up to the Ridge on the 10 climbing the hills on Dalton Rd!!

I remember working a turn on Westgates (6, 6A, 6B, 6C) with a 709D the garage had a report of my brake lights having failed, a fitter brought me another 709D and whisked the broken one away. I set off, got as far Morecambe Arndale and the gear stick fell off!!! The same fitter bought me the broken 709 back -now with brake lights and wasnt impressed that the gear stick had snapped....even accused me of snapping it!! If I had to work minibus duties with a minibus I prefered 449 or 450 (LCT Optare MetroRider). I remember Morecambe having 3 plain white MetroRiders with L registrations. I think they came from Liverpool because they had Merseyside sounding places on their side destination blinds, they moved on in late 2002. Anyone confirm their numbers and their fate?

mbonwick

Established Member
Ah, it would make sense if 14199 was "originally" a Preston machine. It's numbering is a bit out with the others round herem if you get me.
As for 14203, it's only a couple of months since it started its new life in Carlisle, being ripped to shreds....

driver9000

Established Member
Ah, it would make sense if 14199 was "originally" a Preston machine. It's numbering is a bit out with the others round herem if you get me.
As for 14203, it's only a couple of months since it started its new life in Carlisle, being ripped to shreds....

2199 was built in with the batch of 2201-2210, Im not sure why it was numbered 'out of batch' maybe there was already a 2200 in the fleet? or J200 HFR had already been issued? The batch began life with Ribble working East Lancashire services such as The Mancunian X43 I believe they were allocated to Clitheroe depot. As far as Im aware they moved to Heysham Rd when Ribbles East Lancs operation was sold off to Burnley & Pendle.

mbonwick is quite correct in stating that 2203 was moved on from Morecambe after its altercation with Torrisholme Rd to Carlisle where soon after it was deroofed again!! If you look carefully you can see the roof has a bit of a sag to it. I remember seeing a photograph of the rear of 2203 at the crash scene carrying an advert for the Samaritans "Whatever you going through, we'll go through it with you"

Well it amused me :)

mbonwick

Established Member
It was a couple of years ago it hit Torrisholme bridge, wasn't it. It only moved on to Carlisle in September with the influx of Tridents.

Lillyhall are roumoured to be getting more 51 plate solos - 4 ex-preston and 2 ex-Nuneaton, to replace 709Ds

driver9000

Established Member
eThe Torrisholme Rd bashes were about 1995/1996 No.2203 was first, followed almost a year later by No.2199. The running sheets were altered when working routes 2/2A to carry a note in big letters at the top "2/2A operate via Scale Hall Lane" they also stopped drivers working 2/2A and 3 on the same duty (3 via Torrisholme Rd).

I far as I remember 2203 never returned to Morecambe once it was rebuilt and was moved on into Cumbria Im certain it went to Carlisle but possibly has moved around a bit, it has been up there a while. I know it has been deroofed at least three times though.

mbonwick

Established Member
Bit of an unlucky bus then eh? :lol:

Noted tonight were 22806/9 with new seats, the orange topped ones.

mbonwick

Established Member
Lillyhall's Solos are now apparently 3 ex-Morecambe (47156/7/9), with another one possibly ex-Preston.

I assume Morecambe will get more ex-Preston to cover for it's loss. They've already got 47021/2 from them.

driver9000

Established Member
Kendals 20788 running along Slyne Rd Lancaster this afternoon showing 'Private Charter' I think it was on a 555 route learning trip as it was carrying about 4 drivers as passengers

mbonwick

Established Member
No such bus is in the North West. Nearest I can get is 20878 at Barrow. B10Ms that Kendal have are: 20132, 20305, 20456-9, 20699, 20705, 20710-2 (School runners), 20735, 20750, 20774/6 (775 was written off after hitting a wide load on the A65)

driver9000

Established Member
I must have the number wrong, I only caught a glimpse of the number plate as it passed me.

cainebj

Established Member
L119 HHV on moorclose circular 51 this morning. this afternoon, the 51 was covered by a 709d (N465 VOD ?)
25225 versa swapped routes at some point today! it went past sixth form on the 31 to maryport, but was running the 30 to thornhill on return journey! unusual for a bus to swap routes like this! especially with the lower capacity on the versa!
R251 NBV been running school specials in Whitehaven, which are normally covered by H115 SAO, H117 SAO, H118 SAO, K133 DAO, K134 DAO, N733 LTN or N??? NPN chances are one of the N reg olympians were running the 300 while R251 was on school special!

mbonwick

Established Member
16733, N733 LTN

You're probably right about the rostering.
I'm assuming Lancaster had a shortage of 'deckers today; the 1545 81B was a Trident (normally in the capable hands of a Leyland Olympian) and the 1610 55A was a MAN HOCL vice a Volvo Oly!

Status
Not open for further replies.