• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHovisKid

Maybe stagecoach are learning from their partnership with Virgin Trains- shorter buses with less seats. Start worrying if they install stinky toilets on them....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cainebj

Established Member
MORE BUSES ON X5 FROM WORKINGTON TO KESWICK

SEASONAL SERVICE INFORMATION

More buses on service X5 between Workington, Cockermouth and Keswick from 31st May until 3rd September 2011.

Stagecoach is pleased to announce that with effect from the above date, there will be two buses per hour for most of the day, Monday to Saturday between Workington and Keswick. The additional hourly buses will operate via the X5 route. Please note that the journeys on service X4 will continue to operate and are unaffected by this change.

We hope customers will find these extra buses extremely useful and if successful, they may become a more permanent feature in future timetables!

Full details are available to download now in our X4, X5, X50 timetable PDF, in the timetable downloads section of this website.

The first additional X5 service departs Workington at 0945, the last departing at 1545.
That should help quite a lot with overloading issues on the Profile's!!!
2 B10M's coming back onto fleet from reserve? :lol: Or additional buses being transferred from elsewhere? ;)

Ado 16

Googling around after looking through the above mentioned photo album. Some lovely pics there. I came across one of the Competition Commission Reports into Stagecoach's "merger" with LCT from 1993. Interesting reading. If only for ironic nostalgia..... Especially the second paragraph!

We have acknowledged that competition between Stagecoach and LCT before the merger was weak, the two companies having entered into a timetable agreement in 1989 under which almost all commercial services in the district of Lancaster were jointly operated. We believe, however, that LCT still offered the potential for competition to Stagecoach, as had occurred between LCT and Ribble before 1989: LCT's acquisition by a company other than Stagecoach would have maintained, or increased, potential competition, particularly as regards commercial services within the district of Lancaster. Competition and potential competition, in our view, are the main safeguards against higher fares and lower levels of service, and provide scope for operators to offer different combinations of fares and service standards. We do not believe that potential competition from other new entrants could prove as effective a constraint on Stagecoach in its current dominant position: we also do not believe that competition from other forms of transport provides as effective a constraint on fares or service standards.

We have therefore concluded that the merger may be expected to operate against the public interest by removing competition and potential competition to Stagecoach in commercial services in the district of Lancaster, which may in turn be expected to result in higher fares, lower levels of service and less choice than would otherwise be the case.

We have recommended a number of undertakings to remedy these adverse effects by limiting Stagecoach's ability to retaliate against new entrants in the district of Lancaster by temporary reductions in fares or increases in frequency. The result of these undertakings would be to enhance the effectiveness of potential competition from other operators should Stagecoach abuse its position. If such undertakings were not forthcoming, Stagecoach should be required to divest the depot. We have also recommended that Stagecoach be required to publish information on the financial performance of its operations in the district of Lancaster.

Reading through the conclusions makes highly amusing reading too. I guess it was the same across the country though.

Last edited:

KendalKing

Established Member
Either you know something we don't, or a rethink is required!

My contacts are telling me that Kendal are receiving 4 MANs from Morecambe for use on 551/552 Kendal - Arnside and the Sunday X35's. Also the Tridents which get displaced from the 555's by the new Scanias, will in turn displace the remaining Olympains!

Mattdw92

Workington, North West/Newcastle Upon Tyne, North
MORE BUSES ON X5 FROM WORKINGTON TO KESWICK

SEASONAL SERVICE INFORMATION

More buses on service X5 between Workington, Cockermouth and Keswick from 31st May until 3rd September 2011.

Stagecoach is pleased to announce that with effect from the above date, there will be two buses per hour for most of the day, Monday to Saturday between Workington and Keswick. The additional hourly buses will operate via the X5 route. Please note that the journeys on service X4 will continue to operate and are unaffected by this change.

We hope customers will find these extra buses extremely useful and if successful, they may become a more permanent feature in future timetables!

Full details are available to download now in our X4, X5, X50 timetable PDF, in the timetable downloads section of this website.

The first additional X5 service departs Workington at 0945, the last departing at 1545.
That should help quite a lot with overloading issues on the Profile's!!!
2 B10M's coming back onto fleet from reserve? :lol: Or additional buses being transferred from elsewhere? ;)

Why am I thinking that putting MAN's on the X5 recently wasn't just for the fun of it...
Will be disappointing if they just put 52628 and 52635 on :lol: Even if the case, B10Ms from reserve may still be needed.

Last edited:

cainebj

Established Member
Why am I thinking that putting MAN's on the X5 recently wasn't just for the fun of it...
Will be disappointing if they just put 52628 and 52635 on :lol: Even if the case, B10Ms from reserve may still be needed.

Something extra would probably have to come in!
0 spare Scania's
0 spare Tridents
2 spare Volvo Oly's (+14234, for now. I believe it is only still in use because 17017 is long term VOR)
3 spare B10M's
1 spare MAN
1 spare long Dart
1 spare mini Dart
0 spare Solo's.

Recently been having 3 or 4 Solo's missing from service each day, 17017 is still off service after over 3 months off, MAN E300's are generally pathetically useless and cover for Scania's when they're off the road now, and the Darts aren't really the best vehicles to rely on anymore.

My contacts are telling me that Kendal are receiving 4 MANs from Morecambe for use on 551/552 Kendal - Arnside and the Sunday X35's. Also the Tridents which get displaced from the 555's by the new Scanias, will in turn displace the remaining Olympains!

That's what I heard a few months ago, but more recently, heard that MANs are actually leaving the region, with alternative vehicles coming in from outside the region for Cumbria. We'll find out if that is true or not nearer the time.
Also heard that when Kendal get their 9 Scania's, 3 Tridents are being displaced to Morecambe to replace 3 S reg Tridents, while the other 6 are displaced to Preston. The 10th Trident at Kendal then being swapped for the final S reg at Morecambe, that S reg then providing as a spare for Scania's on 555/556, 530/531/735 (6 Scania's for 555/556, 3 for 530/531/735). Again, whether that is true or not, I don't know.

mbonwick

Established Member
That's what I heard a few months ago, but more recently, heard that MANs are actually leaving the region, with alternative vehicles coming in from outside the region for Cumbria. We'll find out if that is true or not nearer the time.
Also heard that when Kendal get their 9 Scania's, 3 Tridents are being displaced to Morecambe to replace 3 S reg Tridents, while the other 6 are displaced to Preston. The 10th Trident at Kendal then being swapped for the final S reg at Morecambe, that S reg then providing as a spare for Scania's on 555/556, 530/531/735 (6 Scania's for 555/556, 3 for 530/531/735). Again, whether that is true or not, I don't know.

Still think it would be better if KL kept a 55 reg as spare - 4speed 'boxes are more suited than 3...
Would be better to swap MEs last S reg with 18374 at Preston.

I agree that MANs are too big for Kendal, but moving them out of region is daft to me....NW could really use them!

cainebj

Established Member
Still think it would be better if KL kept a 55 reg as spare - 4speed 'boxes are more suited than 3...
Would be better to swap MEs last S reg with 18374 at Preston.

I agree that MANs are too big for Kendal, but moving them out of region is daft to me....NW could really use them!

Would be pointless sending 6 55 reg Tridents to Preston, to then take a different 55 reg back to Kendal :lol:
As for gearboxes, the same thing could be said about LL's 300/301/302...... 17017 is far from suited for the route. It picked up speed better than the Scania's, and I personally found it a more entertaining ride than the Scania's, but there was too much strain on engine & gearbox. It spent less than 3 months actually on the road, and had 3 major engine issues.

Dallamlad

Established Member
Googling around after looking through the above mentioned photo album. Some lovely pics there. I came across one of the Competition Commission Reports into Stagecoach's "merger" with LCT from 1993. Interesting reading. If only for ironic nostalgia..... Especially the second paragraph!

Reading through the conclusions makes highly amusing reading too. I guess it was the same across the country though.

Hahahaha this is brilliant stuff to look back on! Good find.

Also In terms of Tridents moving here and Tridents moving there when KL's Tridents turn up I've heard so many different rumours that I don't know what will happen. The idea that ME's S reg's could be replaced does make sense if they were then converted to OT.

That's all fine but what about Chorley? They are going to need younger deckers by the end of the year I believe and from what ALX400 said they are expecting their 2004 Tridents back from Preston. If this happens something will have to go into Preston for the 68.

It's either some of that or we are in for a big surprise around October time!

We'll find out about the MANs very soon obviously. Would be a shame to loose them out of region when we have so many B10s left but I suppose it's all about priorities and if something else is coming into the region it may alright!

Chris26584

Also In terms of Tridents moving here and Tridents moving there when KL's Tridents turn up I've heard so many different rumours that I don't know what will happen. The idea that ME's S reg's could be replaced does make sense if they were then converted to OT.

That's all fine but what about Chorley? They are going to need younger deckers by the end of the year I believe and from what ALX400 said they are expecting their 2004 Tridents back from Preston. If this happens something will have to go into Preston for the 68.

We'll find out about the MANs very soon obviously. Would be a shame to loose them out of region when we have so many B10s left but I suppose it's all about priorities and if something else is coming into the region it may alright!

The likelihood is that chorley won't know yet as the school contracts for the 2011/12 term won't have possibly have been announced as yet, presuming as well that they have re-tendered for the current ones they run.

mbonwick

Established Member
While the individual contract details won't have been announced, the GMPTE 15 year age limit still stands.
That means that the Olympians will need to go by the end of 2012 academic year, although Stagecoach appear to like to be a year ahead.

cainebj

Established Member
While the individual contract details won't have been announced, the GMPTE 15 year age limit still stands.
That means that the Olympians will need to go by the end of 2012 academic year, although Stagecoach appear to like to be a year ahead.

No point leaving things too late! Better to leave yourself plenty of time with things like that, so if something goes wrong with plans, there's still time to get alternatives sorted out.

Stagecoach NW

Has the GMPTE age limit only just come in to use because i know for a fact that this bus
http://www.flickr.com/photos/psbusdriver/5638457923/in/photostream/
was being used nearly everyday on schools until it got replaced By an E300 in February
and is way over the 15 year age limit

Dallamlad

Established Member

Although SC may like to be a year ahead if they have a plan to replace Olys in 2012 this may be the case.

This is where ALX400 joins the debate and gives us a helpful hint...lol!

Also worth taking into account the new vehicles going into other regions. It's true that most of these new vehicles will just displace old stuff for disposal but SC have moved newer stuff between regions before. Manchester lost 2005 Tridents in 2008 and I believe have lost newer Scans before as well. Between July and September SCNE will be taking delivery of their new E400H's. Apparently this will just displace older stuff like Olys and B10s within NE but who knows.

That's all just wild thinking but trying to predict what SC will do is like predicting the weather lol

Last edited:

stagecoachuk

If nothing has changed since I'm told although they want to keep the ALX300s there is a greater priority for them where they are heading too (If it still happens) What we are due to get in return is not a good thing though and quite disappointing!

cainebj

Established Member
22595 came down as staff shuttle, then sat on annexe.
16124, 16649 and 20994 on 30 & 31. 16649 has extremely squeaky brakes.
16733 on short 302.
52628 on X4.
20473 on 50 sounding not too bad.
20962 on 51 with smoke pouring out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.