• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West - Fleet News & Discussion

GoneSouth

Most drivers hate them. Very slow off the mark, can’t move until the doors are completely shut (they take ages to close), next stop announcements far too loud, build quality hit and miss. From a passenger perspective, the COVID window jabs still remain making it a chilly journey at speed in winter.

Tridents generally run to time a lot better on the 10, a stop-start route that only has at most a few minutes over 40mph. These N250UDs would be much better suited on distance work where you’re predominately sitting at 40 or 50mph, i.e the forest work that they seem to do semi-regularly at the moment anyway…

97/98 has had a Running Week by the looks of things, using the 5 tridents that are freed up be lack of school work. Will return to MMC operation, when they’re all back and working that is…
Surely not a bad thing that a vehicle can’t move with the doors open!

As for the next stop announcements, far from being too loud, they just don’t use them which I think is inexcusable. It’s a fantastic tool for people who don’t know the area and visually impaired passengers. It’s long overdue on every bus in my opinion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CharlesR

As for the next stop announcements, far from being too loud, they just don’t use them which I think is inexcusable. It’s a fantastic tool for people who don’t know the area and visually impaired passengers. It’s long overdue on every bus in my opinion.
The doors are excessively slow to close though. Many drivers are used to over the years moving off as the doors are closing, hence timetables being planned on that basis, therefore resulting in minutes added to the timetable as driving styles evolve.

Next stop announcements are used, just some vehicles can be faulty with them from time to time. On the whole, I’d say they are operational 85% of the time. They’ve recently introduced announcements for the city network, meaning when MMCs stray off route there is still that added bonus of announcements

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The doors are excessively slow to close though. Many drivers are used to over the years moving off as the doors are closing, hence timetables being planned on that basis, therefore resulting in minutes added to the timetable as driving styles evolve.

Next stop announcements are used, just some vehicles can be faulty with them from time to time. On the whole, I’d say they are operational 85% of the time. They’ve recently introduced announcements for the city network, meaning when MMCs stray off route there is still that added bonus of announcements

Do you have any idea who is the voice behind the next stop announcements on the N250UDs?

Parebunks

This is exactly why I think they should transfer to Witney for use on the S1 & S2
No thanks, big fan of the SN69 plate buses for my local route - skeptical enough about the new ones this year. The S1, despite being fairly long, is very stop-start through a lot of areas, particularly closer to Oxford. How many are there? Could be good for the S3 or S9 if looking in Oxon, though I'd like to see a few on the 51, which seems pretty variable for allocation at the moment.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Most drivers hate them. Very slow off the mark, can’t move until the doors are completely shut (they take ages to close), next stop announcements far too loud, build quality hit and miss. From a passenger perspective, the COVID window jabs still remain making it a chilly journey at speed in winter.

Tridents generally run to time a lot better on the 10, a stop-start route that only has at most a few minutes over 40mph. These N250UDs would be much better suited on distance work where you’re predominately sitting at 40 or 50mph, i.e the forest work that they seem to do semi-regularly at the moment anyway…

97/98 has had a Running Week by the looks of things, using the 5 tridents that are freed up be lack of school work. Will return to MMC operation, when they’re all back and working that is…
There’s two in Keltruck as we speak at Arle Court

It’s the fact that they take a few seconds after the doors close before you can pull away, if you stop at every stop it will add minutes to the journey time

GoneSouth

There’s two in Keltruck as we speak at Arle Court

It’s the fact that they take a few seconds after the doors close before you can pull away, if you stop at every stop it will add minutes to the journey time
And there was me thinking it was a new policy by Stagecoach to helpfully allow time for passengers to sit down before speeding off as fast as possible and throwing them off balance into the lap of an unsuspecting fellow traveler. :D

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
No thanks, big fan of the SN69 plate buses for my local route - skeptical enough about the new ones this year. The S1, despite being fairly long, is very stop-start through a lot of areas, particularly closer to Oxford. How many are there? Could be good for the S3 or S9 if looking in Oxon, though I'd like to see a few on the 51, which seems pretty variable for allocation at the moment.

There are 21 N250UDs (15350-15370), same as the SN69 E400MMCs (11233-11253)

CharlesR

And there was me thinking it was a new policy by Stagecoach to helpfully allow time for passengers to sit down before speeding off as fast as possible and throwing them off balance into the lap of an unsuspecting fellow traveler. :D
Old habits die hard, ultimately there’s a fine line between following company policy and keeping to time / making up time (if late).

From experience, Stagecoach Gloucester used to put the “fast drivers” on the school runs so an afternoon set down only job would be done around 10 minutes quicker than timetabled

TheWalrus

Established Member
Well the drivers should allow you time to sit down anyway!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hopefully the slow doors won’t be a problem then as it allows the time for passengers to find their seat
What if the passengers are faster than the doors? Or they are alighting not boarding? Then the doors are simply wasting time which adds up if the bus stops at most stops.

Callum15632

Does anyone know if Bristol's 15765/66/68/69 are Euro 6 Compliant or not? I know that Bristol's 15762/67 are. Are 18314 and 18413 gonna get replaced at Bristol? If so what will they get replaced with and when?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
This is why we don't lend things to Bristol :)

Bet that was cozy at rush hour!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502_164439_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230502_164439_Chrome.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 100

DaveHarries

Established Member
Update on this: the Stagecoach West website advises that Swindon Borough Council have decided to provide funding to allow continuation of Service 57. Services 7, 9 and 10 will see revised timetables. No mention yet of who will be operating the 46, 48, 53 & 80.

Dave

GoneSouth

Went into Cheltenham this week to see they seem to be missing a lot of their gold branded 94 buses. Who has stolen them and will they be coming back?

There was I think an ad for something in Guildford on the side of one of the replacements so looks like Cheltenham has been given old Surrey stock instead?

Surely they need fewer than they used to as the 94 timetable looks to have been thinned out a bit and they don’t even seem to be running the park and ride anymore. They must have lost quite a few if they can’t even manage to cover the existing timetable with the gold branded buses?

Marcus Fryer

Went into Cheltenham this week to see they seem to be missing a lot of their gold branded 94 buses. Who has stolen them and will they be coming back?

There was I think an ad for something in Guildford on the side of one of the replacements so looks like Cheltenham has been given old Surrey stock instead?

Surely they need fewer than they used to as the 94 timetable looks to have been thinned out a bit and they don’t even seem to be running the park and ride anymore. They must have lost quite a few if they can’t even manage to cover the existing timetable with the gold branded buses?
Some of the 94-branded buses have transferred to Bristol for the 9 (and also appear on the other Bristol routes from time to time). At least one ‘University of Surrey’ bus (15983) has transferred to Cheltenham/Gloucester.
Bennetts Coaches took over the Arle Court park & ride on a 12-month contract from 28 November last year.

GoneSouth

Some of the 94-branded buses have transferred to Bristol for the 9 (and also appear on the other Bristol routes from time to time). At least one ‘University of Surrey’ bus (15983) has transferred to Cheltenham/Gloucester.
Bennetts Coaches took over the Arle Court park & ride on a 12-month contract from 28 November last year.
A definite downgrade of the 94 then, their flagship route and the only one that always had new vehicles in the past.

I gather the plan is for the Swindon and Cheltenham Gold E400MMCs currently in use at Bristol to return home in due course. Once Witney receive their new batch (11747-761) some of their existing batch (11233-253) will be moving to Bristol to displace said Gold examples. With the addition of the former Guildford Scania E400s, this will see off a fair number of the remaining Tridents.

(If any of that is wrong than I’m happy to be corrected!)

Callum15632

Does anybody know if 15766 VX61 FJY has been repainted into Stagecoach Local yet as it wasn't out from 10th May until 17th May? Also does anyone know if the E400 MMCs from Exeter and Plymouth are permanent transfers or are they temporary transfers?

Last edited:

RELL6L

It appears Stagecoach Oxford have lost the contract to run the 700 in Oxford. From Oxford Bus Company's website:

We are pleased to advise customers that we will commence operation of service 700 from Monday 3rd July 2023, connecting Kidlington, Oxford Parkway Park&Ride, Summertown, JR Hospital, Churchill Hospital, NOC and Thornhill Park&Ride.

This service will operate up to every 30 minutes Monday to Friday to the same route and timetable as the current service operated by Stagecoach, with support from Oxfordshire County Council. To see the timetable that we will be operating from 3rd July, please click here, and to see a route map, please click here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parebunks

It appears Stagecoach Oxford have lost the contract to run the 700 in Oxford. From Oxford Bus Company's website:

We are pleased to advise customers that we will commence operation of service 700 from Monday 3rd July 2023, connecting Kidlington, Oxford Parkway Park&Ride, Summertown, JR Hospital, Churchill Hospital, NOC and Thornhill Park&Ride.

This service will operate up to every 30 minutes Monday to Friday to the same route and timetable as the current service operated by Stagecoach, with support from Oxfordshire County Council. To see the timetable that we will be operating from 3rd July, please click here, and to see a route map, please click here.

It's actually a new contract, has been commercial for the last year and was funded directly by the hospitals (as three separate routes) before that. Not very Enhanced Partnership to have Go-Ahead back on the Banbury Road already having only withdrawn last year!

TheWalrus

Established Member
Does anybody know if 15766 VX61 FJY has been repainted into Stagecoach Local yet as it wasn't out from 10th May until 17th May? Also does anyone know if the E400 MMCs from Exeter and Plymouth are permanent transfers or are they temporary transfers?
As Stagecoach in Exeter have just won back the 5A/B/C routes I would guess probably not, unless they’ve had any new buses in or from other depots recently.

Callum15632

As Stagecoach in Exeter have just won back the 5A/B/C routes I would guess probably not, unless they’ve had any new buses in or from other depots recently.
They aren't permanent because they went up to Bristol on Friday Afternoon and came back on Monday Afternoon about 12 o clock lunchtime. They were for Love Saves The Day Shuttles in Bristol I found out.

lewesroad

New X10 Clevedon to Cribbs Causeway via Portishead started today. Three round trips Monday-Friday and four on Saturdays.

Callum15632

Are 10944, 10949 and 10967 permanent transfers to Stagecoach West Bristol Depot or are they just for Glastonbury Shuttles?

Callum15632

Does anybody know when Witney are getting their new buses and what type of bus they will be?

Last edited: