• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Western Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I can't see a thread for Stagecoach Western on here but correct me if I'm wrong.

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a whole manner of coaches mostly Citylink and Megabus except the usual X25 branded ones on Glasgow's X19 service (Glasgow - Easterhouse)

Are Blochairn having problems with their MAN's, or it is a case of them not having enough buses to cope with the 10 minute frequency so they have to put whatever's at the depot on it?

I've seen 53036, 53644 and even 52648 which seems to popped up from nowhere...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Are Blochairn having problems with their MAN's, or it is a case of them not having enough buses to cope with the 10 minute frequency so they have to put whatever's at the depot on it?

I've seen 53036, 53644 and even 52648 which seems to popped up from nowhere...

Probably just a case of Blochairn not having enough buses to maintain the frequency. Coaches have appeared on the X19 a few times before.

Last edited:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Probably just a case of Blochairn not having enough buses to maintain the frequency. Coaches have appeared on the X19 a few times before.

The coaches and MAN's could be coming off the X19 anyway. Had it on good authority that the MAN's are currently under review due to the amount mechanical problems they are having with them. I noticed 4 this afternoon in the depot waiting to get fixed.

Its normally the X25 coaches that are regulars on it anyway that I do know...

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Have the MAN's always been this unreliable, or is it just something that has recently cropped up?
I wonder what the replacements are going to be, if the decision to withdraw them is taken. Enviro 300s, possibly?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Nah they haven't been actually. Although at the minute 22364 is suffering from a severe case of diff whine and there is still another 3 sitting about the depot doing nothing.

Interestingly though I saw a 63 plated E400 there this afternoon, I think it was 15949 but isn't that an Ardrossan E400?

cainebj

Established Member
They're likely to get MAN Enviro 300s from Kilmarnock. Kilmarnock are getting brand new Scania Enviro 300s for use on service 4 Ayr - Kilmarnock - Glasgow. 20 brand new Scanias on order for Western in total, for Kilmarnock and Cumnock, theoretically allowing cascaded MAN E300s to replace all 20 of Western's ALX300s.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
They're likely to get MAN Enviro 300s from Kilmarnock. Kilmarnock are getting brand new Scania Enviro 300s for use on service 4 Ayr - Kilmarnock - Glasgow. 20 brand new Scanias on order for Western in total, for Kilmarnock and Cumnock, theoretically allowing cascaded MAN E300s to replace all 20 of Western's ALX300s.

I would be surprised if they were to get more MAN's. They have started to be massively unrelible with them sitting in the depot rather than out.

Like mbonwick says, I suspect it will be Scania's that they will get, it echo's what one of the commercial managers told me not that long ago.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member

anything for Dumfries or Stranrar on this years order?

Surreyman

The new 2014 BBP book lists at the back (not in the main section) Scanias 28703-28708 under Cumnock, now I know BBP aren't always reliable and these buses probably haven't even been built yet but this ties in, so presumably 12 are due for Kilmarnock?
My records (if accurate) show MAN/ALX 300 22359/22360, 22363/22364, 22379-22380 (16)+ 22509/22513 (East Lancs bodies) + 1 non DDA 22605 at SR.
There have been various reports over the past few years on the unreliability of the later model 'Lion City' 18.240 model, mostly around overheating issues, Stagecoach ceased buying any MAN chassis after 2009.
Did this problem affect the smaller 14.240 chassis too?
I am aware that a few MANs have been re-engined with Cummins units, does anyone have any more info on these issues?
Presumably other Stagecoach companies might not want to receive cascaded buses of this type?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The new 2014 BBP book lists at the back (not in the main section) Scanias 28703-28708 under Cumnock, now I know BBP aren't always reliable and these buses probably haven't even been built yet but this ties in, so presumably 12 are due for Kilmarnock?
My records (if accurate) show MAN/ALX 300 22359/22360, 22363/22364, 22379-22380 (16)+ 22509/22513 (East Lancs bodies) + 1 non DDA 22605 at SR.
There have been various reports over the past few years on the unreliability of the later model 'Lion City' 18.240 model, mostly around overheating issues, Stagecoach ceased buying any MAN chassis after 2009.
Did this problem affect the smaller 14.240 chassis too?
I am aware that a few MANs have been re-engined with Cummins units, does anyone have any more info on these issues?
Presumably other Stagecoach companies might not want to receive cascaded buses of this type?

You've also got 22382 and 22383. Glasgow certainly don't need 20, the depot isn't big enough for a start.

And to go along with the overheating issues, the diff whine they create is deafening, and the dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Is it normal for a driver to take a full bus load of passengers to the depot while in service?

Was on the X19 this afternoon when the driver said that the bus was overheating and he needed to head to Blochairn to get water. Is this normal practice or was it to avert further disaster if he carried on?

Any time I've been on a bus and it's starred to overheat the drivers have just carried on as normal and dealt with the consequences later...

Strathclyder

Established Member
Spotted this 'bendy coach' on the X77 today leaving Buchanan Bus Station:
Glasgow+City-20140620-00695.jpg

Any particular reason this has re-appeared in service? I thought that they were all withdrawn.

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
The Scania Levantes are struggling reliability wise, and there is also the Commonwealth Games requirement to consider.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
theres a couple doing Citylink work on Dundee>Edinburgh/Glasgow runs lately.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyboddz know whats running the 500 Dumfries>Stranrar these days? I know the X75 is usually a profile unless changed lately.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
It's looking likely that the ex Oxford Tube Van Hool's will be hitting the roads quite soon. The repaint jobs on them look absolutely cracking as well.

There's two variations of the livery, one the usual Stagecoach swoops, and the other is just blue and white. I'm presuming one of the liveries is for the X77 which uses the Neoplans?

Last edited:

Liam

Established Member
Is it normal for a driver to take a full bus load of passengers to the depot while in service?

Was on the X19 this afternoon when the driver said that the bus was overheating and he needed to head to Blochairn to get water. Is this normal practice or was it to avert further disaster if he carried on?

Any time I've been on a bus and it's starred to overheat the drivers have just carried on as normal and dealt with the consequences later...

Fife's 39B goes into Glenrothes depot to turn around, folk from Asda to the town go through the depot.

Before Leven bus station was rebuilt driver changes were often done in Aberhill depot. When the bendy buses were on the X26 (years ago...), everyone had to change coach inside the shed.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
So that's Kilmarnock got their new 64 plated E300's for the 4, and also Blochairn have started to get the 09 plated MAN E300's brought over...

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Blochairn are now using Double Deckers on the X25/X25A. They've now got 15945 and 15946 which has now been branded for this route. Considering they are relatively new Scania E400s, why would they be transferred so soon from Western?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.