• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Yorkshire and Chesterfield

syjunkie

Was too far away to spot a number and I doubt the dashcam picked it up either so can't check.

Do Chesterfield do maintenance for any other depots? Wouldn't be an East Midlands one off the 77 based on where it was, but could be out on a test run - it looped around a roundabout and went back the way it came.

As for the E300s, both seemed to start a Barnsley service in the morning then come to Chesterfield and start running services there. 27824 is showing as a Chesterfield vehicle on bustimes but that doesn't always mean much.

I'm wondering if Chesterfield are short of buses - the 90 was down a vehicle today, meaning some 2 hours gaps in service. Better than last Friday when there was a 4 hour gap in the middle of the day.
15720, 27284 and 27285 are on loan to Chesterfield

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

m79900

Something I noticed today is that all the Gold buses I saw both E400MMC & Scania Enviro 400 have promotional adverts on the rear for X17 similar to haw 11124 gained recently.
I noticed that the other day on a 64 plater. It claimed 'hourly to Matlock'. Putting themselves down a bit!

Llandudno

Established Member
Maybe the 4 hour gap in service on the 90s was due to a shortage of drivers now that at least six drivers are required daily for the open top ‘tourist buses’ to the detriment of the core network…?

Teapot42

Maybe the 4 hour gap in service on the 90s was due to a shortage of drivers now that at least six drivers are required daily for the open top ‘tourist buses’ to the detriment of the core network…?
Can't be. When I made the same point last year I was assured the Peak Sightseer had no impact on the other routes. I'm sure it was purely coincidental last year that every day the 90 was one bus down and sometimes 2. And I'm sure the fact passengers stopped trusting it to turn up had no link to them deciding it was no longer viable to run half-hourly. Just as I'm sure that regular 2+ hour gaps in the service will in no way lead to them deciding to drop the route completely and end up being paid by DCC to keep it going.

While Stagecoach seem to be more willing to try things under their new MD, they also seem keener to sacrifice less (but still) profitable routes where they get in the way of those opportunities.

(Indeed we seem to be one bus down again today, for at least the second time this week. Prior to the introduction of the Sightseer for this year things had been pretty reliable)

Teapot42

Could 15720 be being earmarked for future open-top conversion?
Could be, but looks like it's being used for the free bus to Barrow Hill today.

As an aside, I noticed that the open toppers for Skegness were converted from E400H models. I wonder why these were chosen there, but non-Hybrid here. All I can think is that a hybrid is likely to be more efficient trundling along the sea front rather than climbing Winnats Pass.

mk1979

Can't be. When I made the same point last year I was assured the Peak Sightseer had no impact on the other routes. I'm sure it was purely coincidental last year that every day the 90 was one bus down and sometimes 2. And I'm sure the fact passengers stopped trusting it to turn up had no link to them deciding it was no longer viable to run half-hourly. Just as I'm sure that regular 2+ hour gaps in the service will in no way lead to them deciding to drop the route completely and end up being paid by DCC to keep it going.

While Stagecoach seem to be more willing to try things under their new MD, they also seem keener to sacrifice less (but still) profitable routes where they get in the way of those opportunities.

(Indeed we seem to be one bus down again today, for at least the second time this week. Prior to the introduction of the Sightseer for this year things had been pretty reliable)

I get you’re a fan of another local bus company but there is no need for tribalism. I get you’re disappointed the frequency on your local route reduced frequency but you ignore the explanations I’ve given you as they don’t suit the narrative you prefer. I know everyone loves a good conspiracy theory but what you are saying is simply fiction.

It’s nonsense like this that put people like me off engaging with the enthusiast community so I’m not going to waste my free time explaining why a Holbrook MMC is on short term loan to Chesterfield nor why we chose to convert Scania’s over hybrids for open top nor the many other things going on at Chesterfield including upcoming fleet investment - I have to question why waste my time on people who simply churn falsehoods that undermine the good work of my team.

What I will say is that we have run 99 out of 100 trips across the network in recent weeks, the depot is currently over-staffed for drivers with more in training, issues such as breakdowns are at the lowest level for years and improving month on month and there was no four hour gaps in service on the 90 or any other route let alone an hours gap. Simply looking at historical vehicle workings on bustimes is not an accurate record of what happened - I could explain why on that too but I’d be wasting my time.

Last edited by a moderator:

M803UYA

I get you’re a fan of another local bus company but there is no need for tribalism. I get you’re disappointed the frequency on your local route reduced frequency but you ignore the explanations I’ve given you as they don’t suit the narrative you prefer. I know everyone loves a good conspiracy theory but what you are saying is simply fiction.

It’s nonsense like this that put people like me off engaging with the enthusiast community so I’m not going to waste my free time explaining why a Holbrook MMC is on short term loan to Chesterfield nor why we chose to convert Scania’s over hybrids for open top nor the many other things going on at Chesterfield including upcoming fleet investment - I have to question why waste my time on people who simply churn falsehoods that undermine the good work of my team.

What I will say is that we have run 99 out of 100 trips across the network in recent weeks, the depot is currently over-staffed for drivers with more in training, issues such as breakdowns are at the lowest level for years and improving month on month and there was no four hour gaps in service on the 90 or any other route let alone an hours gap. Simply looking at historical vehicle workings on bustimes is not an accurate record of what happened - I could explain why on that too but I’d be wasting my time.
I get why you'd be annoyed - but please keep engaging when you feel able to. We can all learn a lot when we listen. I'm in general distrusting of bustimes and tech - and much prefer to go out and look at things and draw conclusions. This has secured my new job - but is something I have always practiced because when you go out and look you see things.

Senior management (fun monitor to use @TheGrandWazoo definition) has seen the leaflet for Peak Sightseer, so I have my instructions for the upcoming half term!.... She is much charmed with the open top bus.

If you return in a couple of weeks you'll get to see a write up ;)

Llandudno

Established Member

Great to hear that you are fully staffed at Chesterfield - I believe Stagecoach also operated free shuttle buses from Chesterfield Rail Station to the excellent Barrow Hill Rail Ale Festival!

mbonwick

Established Member
Have we any updates on when Rawmarsh's Yutongs are to enter service? They were quoted to be entering service yesterday (20th May) pending the power supply works being signed off.
Mid-June now I believe - power supply works still haven't been signed off.

Hyebone

The new Yutong’s have started appearing today on 22x & 221.
Yep! Managed to nip up from Chesterfield this afternoon to sample one (73001). Brilliant ride quality, it was rather stuffy as the aircon wasn't on.
(Photo shows Yutong YH24LZS)

Attachments

• 53753471514_6dde02d71c_o.jpg
    53753471514_6dde02d71c_o.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Who is responsible for the "Electro" brand? Seems to be in use by Stagecoach in two different places but also Travel South Yorkshire?

Hyebone

Vehicle 73023 wore an incorrect registration plate of "YD73 MEU". This issue has now been resolved and the vehicle is now wearing the correct plate of "YH24 MEU

Russel

Established Member
Regarding the Peak Sightseer, does the Volvo B7TL Eclipse have a set route or does it turn on on both red and blue routes?

Regarding the Peak Sightseer, does the Volvo B7TL Eclipse have a set route or does it turn on on both red and blue routes?
This bus and the former London Trident (18467) can both only operate the full RED route due to them being too tall for the railway bridge at Hathersage on the BLUE route. They do of course operate the BLUE feeder services from Chesterfield, the Volvo is normally the 0842 departure but can be tracked at https://bustimes.org/vehicles/scli-16943

Teapot42

This bus and the former London Trident (18467) can both only operate the full RED route due to them being too tall for the railway bridge at Hathersage on the BLUE route. They do of course operate the BLUE feeder services from Chesterfield, the Volvo is normally the 0842 departure but can be tracked at https://bustimes.org/vehicles/scli-16943
Is there a difference between a B7TL Gemini and a B9TL one? First run their B9TLs under the same bridge on the 272 without issue. Similarly, Hulleys Trident SN03 DZM operated under the same bridge without issue on the Breezer.

That does beg one question though, do / should open toppers have a height restriction greater than their physical height to keep passengers safe? A roof prevents passengers exceeding the 'envelope' of the bus and while you can't stop idiots I'd have thought adding a little to minimise risks would be reasonable.

Russel

Established Member
Is there a difference between a B7TL Gemini and a B9TL one? First run their B9TLs under the same bridge on the 272 without issue. Similarly, Hulleys Trident SN03 DZM operated under the same bridge without issue on the Breezer.

That does beg one question though, do / should open toppers have a height restriction greater than their physical height to keep passengers safe? A roof prevents passengers exceeding the 'envelope' of the bus and while you can't stop idiots I'd have thought adding a little to minimise risks would be reasonable.

Has there ever been an accident similar to the type you're trying to prevent with this suggestion?

Teapot42

Has there ever been an accident similar to the type you're trying to prevent with this suggestion?
While that is a good question (I personally have no idea) it is common for risk assessments to cover things that haven't yet happened.

In my industry it's common to look closely at 'near misses' to prevent them becoming accidents.

TC60054

The bridge at Hathersage isn't the problem - it's 14'6", both the buses mentioned are 14'5". I think the issue lies with the bridge at Hope, which although is cleared for buses at 14'5", is marked up as advisory 14'3". Not sure as to whether or not that would be an issue for Stagecoach - just because it isn't for other companies doesn't make a difference.

Trainman40083

Many years ago, well 1965, I was riding Devon General open toppers in the Torquay/Paignton area. Went down one road, the conductor shinned up the stairs and shouted loudly. "Duck, low bridge" just before we went under the railway line.