• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staines station

Status
Not open for further replies.

davews

What is going on at Staines? They have demolished half of the station building including the staff offices, guess a new one is about to surface. Nothing mentioned on here and a quick Google came up with nothing. Is this related to the engineering work most weekends in the Staines area?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TSG

The possessions at weekends are primarily for the re-signalling work that's going to come into work later in the summer. I have no idea why they're demolishing the station but I doubt it has anything to do with the re-signalling. Does Staines already have an accessible footbridge? If not, that would be my bet.

stuving

A second footbridge with lifts was installed two years ago.

Which building is this - the old on on the north side, or the newer southern one?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe it’s essentially the old single deck portable style building being replaced by two new ones, one on top of the other.

Snow1964

Established Member
Network Rail update, 2 week closure including the resignalling

From Saturday 19 August to Friday 1 September, buses will replace South Western Railway (SWR) trains during a three-part closure of the railway between Barnes and Virginia Water, Windsor & Eton Riverside and Hounslow, to allow the newly installed signals to be switched on.

AndyPJG

Network Rail update, 2 week closure including the resignalling

• Egham – 10-day closure from 0100 Saturday 19 to 2000 Saturday 29 August

umm - how does a 10 day closure Saturday to Saturday work?

davews

So during that last week when Virginia Water to Barnes is closed on the Reading line we have:
All trains diverted and reversed at Virginia Water to run and terminate at Weybridge adding 20 minutes at Virginia Water
Bus from Virginia Water to Twickenham taking nearly an hour
Bus from Virginia Water to Barnes via all stations on the Hounslow Loop taking nearly TWO hours...
I assume these buses don't use the level crossing at Egham!
Looks like a week to avoid

Sean Emmett

I do an occasional trip from Ascot to Waterloo in the morning peak, 07.29 from Ascot (ex Farnham) as no probs getting a seat for a 29 mile journey which takes over an hour.

On Thu 31 Aug National rail website showing the 07.38 dep ex Reading getting to Waterloo at 09.00 with a change at Weybridge. And £32.40 single (compared with usual £15) as it's not "via Staines". Absolutely outrageous!

davews

I would assume, as in all engineering work times, the normal 'via Staines' fares will apply even if you can't go via it. Certainly once when I had to go via Virginia Water/Weybridge the ticket office sold me the normal day return and said it was valid regardless of what journey planner said.

Whatever, with it taking up to 2 hours I won't be going up to Waterloo next week....

Sean Emmett

I would assume, as in all engineering work times, the normal 'via Staines' fares will apply even if you can't go via it. Certainly once when I had to go via Virginia Water/Weybridge the ticket office sold me the normal day return and said it was valid regardless of what journey planner said.

Whatever, with it taking up to 2 hours I won't be going up to Waterloo next week....
Which is fine, where there's a ticket office...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

As we’ve discussed before a few times SWT formerly, and now SWR, hardly ever produce any easements for engineering work diversions. So journey planners continue to use all the normal rules. The normal ticket will still be on the TVM, but a planner based site will not sell it. It’s as though either nobody at SWR realises this systemic problem, or they do know but don’t care.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As we’ve discussed before a few times SWT formerly, and now SWR, hardly ever produce any easements for engineering work diversions. So journey planners continue to use all the normal rules. The normal ticket will still be on the TVM, but a planner based site will not sell it. It’s as though either nobody at SWR realises this systemic problem, or they do know but don’t care.
If anyone would like to ask SWR and post the answer here, it would be interesting to know...

Fastlane256

What is going on at Staines? They have demolished half of the station building including the staff offices, guess a new one is about to surface. Nothing mentioned on here and a quick Google came up with nothing. Is this related to the engineering work most weekends in the Staines area?
I didn't know that was happening. And I live in Staines and use Staines station. Whoops. Just thought it was just some engineering equipment for all the works.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
In this case, Easement 701124 has been added for 27/08 to 01/08, permitting use of tickets routed "via Staines" for travel via Chertsey and Weybridge.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In this case, Easement 701124 has been added for 27/08 to 01/08, permitting use of tickets routed "via Staines" for travel via Chertsey and Weybridge.
I wasn’t expecting to see that. Maybe someone’s switched on about it for once...

Would be more useful if the train actually continued to Waterloo but unusualy the trains from Reading are terminating at Weybridge Tues-Fri this week.

davews

Presumably the Virginia Water to Weybridge part is to replace the Weybridge service which is not running this week? But maybe a better system could have been worked out since the Virginia Water reversal adds 15-20 minutes to the timetable. And as it happens it is just Tuesday to Thursday, there ain't anything running on Friday....

PudseyBearHST

Can anyone explain what’s going on from Staines - Windsor please? It’s show T3 in some of the sections yet trains are still running through normally?

I guess you are looking at OTT maps which has not been updated since the new signalling in the Staines area was commissioned in August. OTT is showing the last display of the old signalling before it was switched off. You can see Up trains apparently disappearing as they approach Egham, or Down trains appearing from a void

PudseyBearHST

I guess you are looking at OTT maps which has not been updated since the new signalling in the Staines area was commissioned in August. OTT is showing the last display of the old signalling before it was switched off. You can see Up trains apparently disappearing as they approach Egham, or Down trains appearing from a void
Fantastic, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.