• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stand behind the yellow line at Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
That's a different ball game. Trains follow clearly defined lines, road traffic follows where the driver steers

But you still do the safe thing as instructed though don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael74

That's a different ball game. Trains follow clearly defined lines, road traffic follows where the driver steers

If you read my post, I acknowledged that vehicles can veer out of lane 1 onto the hard shoulder. Its not a different ball game, its about personal safety and responsibility, but you know that already. A freight train passing through at 60 mph may have a struck a tree further down the line and said branch may be waiting to smack someone on the 'wrong' side of the yellow line, people have died in far far stranger circumstances.... I agree with a previous comment, this is now 3 pages of hot air... The simple truth of the matter is stand behind the yellow line......

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I started experiencing balance problems 30-odd years ago, had all the tests, told an insect had almost certainly got into my ear on a driving holiday in France, nerve eaten through. Result = nothing could be done, won't cause you great problems until later in life (duly happening) but, in the interim, NEVER go up a ladder or stand hear the edge of station platforms. Good advice, which I've never had cause to disobey.

bramling

Veteran Member
All this hot air about being told to stand behind a yellow line. Blimey.

Of course. At the end of the day there's no right or wrong answer to the question of how much the yellow line should be enforced. One extreme is people who seem to get a kick out of going round interfering with others, whilst the other extreme is people who take the view that what grown adults do is their own business providing it doesn't endanger others. Then it's possible to occupy any viewpoint between those two extremes.

Personally I err more towards the second position, but others evidently take a different view.

al78

Established Member
whilst the other extreme is people who take the view that what grown adults do is their own business providing it doesn't endanger others. Then it's possible to occupy any viewpoint between those two extremes.

It should be that grown adults do their own business as long as it doesn't inflict unnecessary risk, costs or unpleasantness on others (there is a difference).

As a pure guess, if someone does get hit by a train, it won't be a case of saying well they were standing in the wrong place hard luck, there will be a lot of investigation and questioning of staff who were there at the time, to find out if anyone was negligable. That doesn't endanger the lives of those staff, but it will be a traumatic experience for them. Some people need to get over themselves and accept it is not all about them.

bramling

Veteran Member
It should be that grown adults do their own business as long as it doesn't inflict unnecessary risk, costs or unpleasantness on others (there is a difference).

As a pure guess, if someone does get hit by a train, it won't be a case of saying well they were standing in the wrong place hard luck, there will be a lot of investigation and questioning of staff who were there at the time, to find out if anyone was negligable. That doesn't endanger the lives of those staff, but it will be a traumatic experience for them. Some people need to get over themselves and accept it is not all about them.

Naturally much depends on how the situation is handled. The Blackpool North approach in many cases is likely to lead to a response in kind.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
If your going to quote my posts then I would appreciate it if you quote all of it

A quote is specifically an edited version of a fuller thing someone’s said.

It’s poorer etiquette to quote a vast block of text and respond to a point buried deep within it.

Status
Not open for further replies.