• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Standard Class 2 No.77014 - How did it end up on the Southern Region

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've always been curious why a solitary BR Standard Class 3 No.77014 ended up on the Southern Region at Guildford shed, having been transferred from Northwich MPD in March 1966. All the more so as the Class had been solely based in the North of England and Scotland up to that time and secondly as it was the only one I ever saw in service. Can anyone shed any light on why it transferred.
Also I'm pretty sure it travelled south from Northwich via Chinley to Derby, as I recorded seeing it then before once more seeing it at Guildford the following year. Is there a way of finding out its route and working(s) on the transfer to Guildford.
Regards.
IC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
I believe it went south as a special request to work a railtour and never went back.

Veteran Member
Intriguing - I'd wondered myself, so you've prompted me to google.
A couple of links here; the first confirms RT4038's comment.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...HoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=77014 guildford&f=false
https://www.guildford-dragon.com/2017/07/05/really-went-guildford-steam-engines-withdrawn/
My first thoughtthought was that there was a freight branch line that the Southern no longer had a suitable loco for, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the BR class 4s could go pretty much everywhere!

Intriguing - I'd wondered myself, so you've prompted me to google.
A couple of links here; the first confirms RT4038's comment.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=atvKDgAAQBAJ&pg=PT33&lpg=PT33&dq=77014+guildford&source=bl&ots=30wkc9e9eh&sig=ACfU3U1bp2zRU7Ue-y_RIwOwLJyOMZjBtw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJzdr99q3pAhUzpHEKHYF1BbkQ6AEwEHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=77014 guildford&f=false
https://www.guildford-dragon.com/2017/07/05/really-went-guildford-steam-engines-withdrawn/
My first thoughtthought was that there was a freight branch line that the Southern no longer had a suitable loco for, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the BR class 4s could go pretty much everywhere!
Many thanks 30907 and RT4038. All the more intriguing and fascinating reminisces by Geoff Burch. Unfortunately I haven’t a copy of his first book but his recollection is that the loco worked south from Scotland is very interesting when it’s shed allocation seemingly was Northwich at the time. And despite its poor steaming it must have been a surprise to Guildford men to have it act as pilot for the two diversions. In fact I did see a photo of it on one diversion in the Jan 2016 edition (Page 16) of Steam World.
I’ll certainly see what railtours took place soon after its transfer as that seems very plausible given the variety of classes used in the last few days of steam.

RT4038

Established Member
Many thanks 30907 and RT4038. All the more intriguing and fascinating reminisces by Geoff Burch. Unfortunately I haven’t a copy of his first book but his recollection is that the loco worked south from Scotland is very interesting when it’s shed allocation seemingly was Northwich at the time. And despite its poor steaming it must have been a surprise to Guildford men to have it act as pilot for the two diversions. In fact I did see a photo of it on one diversion in the Jan 2016 edition (Page 16) of Steam World.
I’ll certainly see what railtours took place soon after its transfer as that seems very plausible given the variety of classes used in the last few days of steam.

I believe that this loco hauled the final 'normal' steam train on the Southern Region, 8.50pm Bournemouth-Weymouth parcels, on the evening of 9th July 1967. A strange accolade for such an obscure class of loco not otherwise associated with the Southern.

Yes certainly remarkable as a single class member and on the final working some distance from its usual base. It would explain why it wasn't at Guildford on the last day. Definitely more research is required.

Helvellyn

Established Member
There is a photo of 77014 at Guildford here, whilst a Google search for "Standard 77014) produces a few photos on Southern metals.

Nice photo Helvellyn and it looks to be in reasonably clean condition. I did wonder if it was taken around the time it was used on a Rail Tour but having perused the excellent Six Bells Junction web site that's not the case. In total I found reference to its use on at least 5 Tours, the first on 16 April 1966 so maybe it didn't transfer specifically to run one. It even started one Tour from Waterloo on 5/2/67 and was used on 3 separate LCGB Tours so did travel widely over the SW Division, including Broadstone, Blandford Forum, Ringwood, Hamworthy and even Windsor & Eton Riverside.

Status
Not open for further replies.