• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stanmore Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I am fully aware that this line from Baker Street was constructed by the Metropolitan Railway, and later transferred in the 1930s to the Bakerloo owing to congestion. It also subsequently transferred to the Fleet Line (the present day Jubilee Line) in the 1970s.

The questions I'm asking are:

1) Does the tunnels/connection still exist from the main Bakerloo to the Stanmore branch?

2) Is it still theoretically possible to run Bakerloo services onto the Stanmore branch (disregarding the special design of the Jubilee stock and stations for the Green Park - Stratford extension)?

3) On transfer to the Jubilee, was the tunnel from Stanmore to Baker Street simply extended, or was a different tunnel constructed to continue the route to Charing Cross?

I'm just curious as to what former alignments exist today at Baker Street.

In peace

Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
1) There are still connections between the Bakerloo and Jubilee at Baker Street, yes
2) You could still physically run a train from the Bakerloo up towards stanmore, but you would have to do it under a possesion, as the branch is now signalled with TBTC and the bakerloo still has tripcocks
3) A new tunnel was constructed. Originally, there was a junction at baker street to the 2 northern branches (stanmore and queens park) and when the jubilee was built, new tunnels were built to run to charring cross, but that is all I know I'm afraid. Someone else could probably enlighten you more

In the mean time, you could look at this map to help you get an idea of the layout

http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/index.php?station=Baker+Street

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you also have a look at Clives Underground Line Guide for the Jubilee, about half way down (after heading 'Features') he includes a sketch of what was done at Baker St. Before the split into separate lines, Baker St was a three platform station, with separate platforms for each southbound branch. The Jubilee added the fourth platform.

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/jubilee.html

Last edited:

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
To hijack a thread (a habit I have a tendency to do), I've noticed on the Carto Metro site and on OpenStreetMap that the Jubilee Line goes underneath Marylebone station, and wondered why there isn't a Jubilee Line station here - was it something to do with the fact that it was initially a Bakerloo branch and Marylebone already had a Bakerloo line station, or was there some other reason?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
To hijack a thread (a habit I have a tendency to do), I've noticed on the Carto Metro site and on OpenStreetMap that the Jubilee Line goes underneath Marylebone station, and wondered why there isn't a Jubilee Line station here - was it something to do with the fact that it was initially a Bakerloo branch and Marylebone already had a Bakerloo line station, or was there some other reason?

Probably as you say, Marylebone already had a station on the other branch of the Bakerloo. One of the reasons to build this section originally was to relieve the Metropolitan and allow the closure of its stations between Baker Street and Finchley Road, so they probably didn't want to slow the Bakerloo journey by adding another station that didn't serve that purpose.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

At the time of construction of the Jubilee line Marylebone didn't have a particularly great level of service. There was even talk of the station being closed and most services transferred to Paddington so to construct a new Jubilee station there would not have been deemed as worthwhile expenditure.

The link between Bakerloo and Jubilee would mainly be used now by engineers trains.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
It is indeed, it's the only way to get LU Engineering trains onto the Bakerloo Line, and is handy if you can't get back up the Jubilee Line in time in a morning as you can drop it off in Stonebridge Park on 45RD.

Hornet

At the time of construction of the Jubilee line Marylebone didn't have a particularly great level of service. There was even talk of the station being closed and most services transferred to Paddington so to construct a new Jubilee station there would not have been deemed as worthwhile expenditure.

The link between Bakerloo and Jubilee would mainly be used now by engineers trains.

I believe closure notices (c.1984) were issued for the closure of the lines from Northolt Junction and Harrow-on-the-Hill to Marylebone, with the idea of converting the route into Marylebone as a Busway. Chiltern Line services were to be routed into Paddington, with Aylesbury services shuttling back and forth to Amersham. Closure was recinded, and instead a program of Total Route Modernisation took place. Ironically on privatisation the Chiltern Line was the most modern route on the system, (Track, Signalling and Rolling Stock), making it the most attractive of the Franchises to pick up. And so it has been. Also TRM led to the closure of Moor Park Station to Chiltern Line Trains, (except in emergency situations), c.1992.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...

I guess there was that too - although, as I understand it the line was to be closed to be converted into a *shudder* busway and bus/coach station, so I would suppose the patronage of the station would increase if they did that. Although I'm not sure on timings of the options to know whether they would have thought of that (ie, which came first: the construction of the Jubilee (Fleet) Line or the proposal to close and convert Marylebone?).

Anyways, this was just a quick question, so thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.