• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted to Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc84

I plan to travel from Stansted Airport to Gatwick Airport in a Friday later this month at approximately 430pm. It will be a one way trip for 2 adults and 2 children with a Friends and Family Railcard.

Spit ticket quotes £57.64 one way.

I have thought of getting a travel card. I found the following:

Gatwick Airport(GTW) to London Travelcard Zones 1-6
£27.15

If I buy the travelcard, what would be the suggested ticket for Stansted Airport to wherever the nearest Zone 6 station is?

Do I just get a boundary zone extension? £24.90

Total £52.05

We want to buy flexible tickets rather than advance. Do the trains from Stansted Airport have an easement like Trans Pennine Advance Singles have from Manchester Airport ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An Advance ticket from Stansted to London/Tottenham Hale can be used on any train that day; it's the same concept as offered by Heathrow Express and is much more generous than TPE from Manchester Airport.

lfc84

Another option I have thought of is. Stansted Airport to London Travelcard Zones 1-6
Off-Peak Day Travelcard which is £44.
So I would need to add on a ticket from Zone 6 to Gatwick or East Croydon to Gatwick. £9.60
£53.60 total

If anyone has any other ideas I would be most grateful.

Last edited:

plugwash

Established Member
If it was only adults travelling, i'd investigate using oyster/contactless for part of the journey, but the kids kind-of scupper that.

lfc84

If it was only adults travelling, i'd investigate using oyster/contactless for part of the journey, but the kids kind-of scupper that.

As it happens, the kids have got a 5-10 zip oyster. We live outside of London so I forgot about the Oysters.

plugwash

Established Member
The oyster zip cards help, but it still doesn't work out in your particular case.

Travelling on the 16:42

Stanstead to Liverpool St for two adults and two children on a F&F railcard is £33.7
Liverpool Street to Gatwick for two adults and two 5-10 in the peak on oyster/contactless is £44.3
Total: £78

If you travel later to avoid the TFL peak.

Stanstead to Liverpool St for two adults and two children on a F&F railcard is £33.7
Liverpool Street to Gatwick for two adults and two 5-10 offpeak on oyster/contactless is £22.3
Total: £56.

Either way it's more expensive than the splits you have already found.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Controversial suggestion given it’s a rail forum - has the use of a coach been considered? It’s likely that National Express/similar will offer a direct service between the two airports and negate the need for changing in central London.

lfc84

Controversial suggestion given it’s a rail forum - has the use of a coach been considered? It’s likely that National Express/similar will offer a direct service between the two airports and negate the need for changing in central London.
Interesting idea. Coach for the entire journey seems to take excessively long however the coach to Stratford might be an option, followed by the train. With having the kids the journey time is a consideration so I'll take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.