• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staplehurst to Margate valid via Dover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

Hopefully a straightforward one this. Is an Off-Peak Day Return Staplehurst to Margate valid via Dover please?

I'll be walking from Margate to Deal this weekend, but want to confirm that Deal is an appropriate break of journey point for this ticket.

Many thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Yes, that is fine. There is one train in the morning which is direct from Staplehurst to Margate too which may help if you don’t like changes.

The routing guide people on here might have a different opinion but I doubt you would have any trouble on the day. Most of us down here simply buy a return to Ramsgate for the flexibility of being able to travel via both Canterbury West and Dover Priory and get off early when have a reason to.

The Viking Coastal Trail between Broadstairs and Ramsgate is specifically beautiful. Especially Pegwell Bay and the cliffs around Cliffsend.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hopefully a straightforward one this. Is an Off-Peak Day Return Staplehurst to Margate valid via Dover please?

I'll be walking from Margate to Deal this weekend, but want to confirm that Deal is an appropriate break of journey point for this ticket.

Many thanks,
A ticket from Staplehurst to Margate is valid via Dover. However, it is only valid via Deal if you use a direct train between Staplehurst and Margate which takes that route - so you cannot break your journey at Deal.

Meanwhile, a ticket from Tonbridge to Margate would be valid to break your journey at Deal. The precise reasons behind this are a little complex, but I expect that as @BluePenguin says, you would in practice be fine breaking your journey at Deal. Even if a member of staff knew that your ticket isn't valid for break of journey there, the worst they could do is to charge you the difference to the cheapest fare which would allow you to do so. Which would be something like the Tonbridge ticket.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, a ticket from Tonbridge to Margate would be valid to break your journey at Deal. The precise reasons behind this are a little complex, but I expect that as @BluePenguin says, you would in practice be fine breaking your journey at Deal. Even if a member of staff knew that your ticket isn't valid for break of journey there, the worst they could do is to charge you the difference to the cheapest fare which would allow you to do so. Which would be something like the Tonbridge ticket.
What about one from Salfords which the OP might find to be cheaper?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What about one from Salfords which the OP might find to be cheaper?
That would certainly be cheaper than a ticket from Staplehurst or Tonbridge if the OP can make use of the Off-Peak Day Return, but it would not be valid via Dover or Deal.

Again, I suspect that is probably more of an 'in theory' problem than a practical one.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
That would certainly be cheaper than a ticket from Staplehurst or Tonbridge if the OP can make use of the Off-Peak Day Return, but it would not be valid via Dover or Deal.

Again, I suspect that is probably more of an 'in theory' problem than a practical one.

Officially or is that an estimate? Having lived in Deal for over 20 years I have never had an issue with tickets to Thanet not being accepted. From Salford, Gatwick, Horsham and the like the only restriction is to avoid London

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Officially or is that an estimate? Having lived in Deal for over 20 years I have never had an issue with tickets to Thanet not being accepted. From Salford, Gatwick, Horsham and the like the only restriction is to avoid London
Officially. There are no mapped routes via Dover, nor is it the shortest route. And obviously there are no direct services either.

Lots of the permitted routes in this part of the country are unnecessarily strict in my view - I would imagine that staff on the ground exercise common sense. But then again, that pretty much makes the position one of 'reasonable routes' rather than 'permitted routes'!

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Officially. There are no mapped routes via Dover, nor is it the shortest route. And obviously there are no direct services either.

Lots of the permitted routes in this part of the country are unnecessarily strict in my view - I would imagine that staff on the ground exercise common sense. But then again, that pretty much makes the position one of 'reasonable routes' rather than 'permitted routes'!
I agree it does seem rather odd. At least the staff are reasonable even if the rules aren’t. This never used to be an issue back in the days of the high speed rounders. At least the OP can use the very few direct services in the peak

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree it does seem rather odd. At least the staff are reasonable even if the rules aren’t. This never used to be an issue back in the days of the high speed rounders. At least the OP can use the very few direct services in the peak
The High Speed rounders wouldn't change anything in this particular case. But yes.

SandsofEss

Thanks all. It sounds as though I can book a return to Margate safe in the knowledge that, in the worst case scenario, I'll have a small excess to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.