• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Star Bridge down section signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin1501

Bit of a longshot this, but does anyone remember - or have a picture of - the down section signal at Star Bridge box, between Coulsdon South and Merstham?. I know it was a two-aspect colour-light at the northern entrance to Merstham tunnel. However, I have a distant recollection (1970s) of seeing it from a northbound train, and I'm sure the signal head was unusual. As I recall, the two lenses were quite a long way apart vertically, almost like the four-aspect 'searchlight' signals that were common on the Eastern Region.

It's such a long time ago that my memory may be playing tricks, but I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm, or else put me right!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
You may get on better calling it Star Lane :D

Can't remember it having other than a normal 2 aspect, maybe a 3 aspect with plated over central aspect but cant remember it being much different or unusual other than being combined and on top of a location case I think?

Colin1501

You may get on better calling it Star Lane :D

Can't remember it having other than a normal 2 aspect, maybe a 3 aspect with plated over central aspect but cant remember it being much different or unusual other than being combined and on top of a location case I think?

Thanks for this - very helpful. But on the name, I do mean Star Bridge. Star lane box was on the parallel Quarry line.

Veteran Member
Southern Railway Signalling society has the signal box diagram but its low res but does appear to show a colour light on the approach to Merstham Tnl

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/src/R1971.htm
I don't think the symbol you presumably refer to - a circle "attached" to the track - is a signal at all. A treadle? The diagram for Merstham appears to show the down distant within the tunnel itself.
However, the diagrams are dated 1950 and 1953, so arent necessarily relevant for the 70s.

Gloster

Established Member
The very last item shown on the Down line on the right-hand side of the diagram (beyond the bridge) - a small circle connected to the track by a short line - is, according to other SRS diagrams, a treadle. Unfortunately, I can’t go back in time to my signalling training course at Beckenham Junction, where there were lads from both Star Bridge and Star Lane.

Veteran Member
Star Bridge down IBS home shown on the link below

Thanks - hadn't thought to look there!

It's the box section signal (or starter in old money) and clearly 2-aspect as the OP describes.

It doesn't answer their question though - I wonder whether it was a 3-aspect head with the yellow blanked off, in anticipation of it taking over the role of Merstham down distant? Or would that not have been the procedure - these days I am sure the signal head would have been replaced? Just speculation, I am not a S&T engineer!

A cab view video from the 1970's/early 80's in the down direction will give the answer if it exists on u tube.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Comparing the two diagrams, the Section Signal in circa 1950 (lever 3) has become an IB signal with the same lever number, and the Home (? - lever 2) has become a 3 aspect colour light. This means that with a train in section beyond the overlap of signal 3, a following train can approach with signal 1 showing green and only brake on sighting signal 2 at yellow. Previously it would have to be cautioned at Signal 1 then brought nearly to a stand at Signal 2 before being allowed forward to Signal 3. So this is a minor increase in capacity.

I'm not sure when this section was fully re-signalled but it can't have been much after 1983 (and a search indicates Three Bridges power box opened that year). It seems to me quite possible that either the above change, or the replacement of Signal 3 by a three-aspect head with the yellow blanked out, was part of the stageworks for the full MAS scheme.

Gloster

Established Member
Star Bridge closed on 26 February 1983 according to the Signalling Record Society’s Signal Box Register, Volume 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.