• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

State of GWR’s IETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernbelle

I would assume a lighter green is a design choice to lighten up the interior, a dark green would quite probably make the interior feel quite dark and gloomy.
Indeed it was. It was also chosen to help differentiate between standard and first class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E27007

B and H is horrendous at present. I had to pass up to London recently and couldn't believe how poor the ride was. Its not as noticeable up front, but back in the train , it was certainly lively.
From your description, the track needs the attention of an OTM ( On-track-machine) Tamper to sort out degraded top and line

irish_rail

Established Member
From your description, the track needs the attention of an OTM ( On-track-machine) Tamper to sort out degraded top and line
Its been like it on and off forever. B and H will never be smooth, whether or not its the constant pounding by the Mendip stone trains I don't know. Cant see it ever getting any better too be honest.

heathrowrail

Its been like it on and off forever. B and H will never be smooth, whether or not its the constant pounding by the Mendip stone trains I don't know. Cant see it ever getting any better too be honest.
B&H has soft ground underneath so the tracks frequently move. Near Aldermaston is the worst as the track violently rocks from one side to the other.

GWVillager

On a heavily overcrowded IET (short formed as per usual), and aside from the intense rattling of the partition in the composite coach, the air conditioning and kitchen have suffered a loss of power, preventing any catering. At least the ride quality is decent, however.

Edit: now the PA is playing up too!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Your Great Western Railway has arrived…

IMG_2592.jpeg

Cardiff Central, just now - London, Swansea and Penzance services

Seriously though, there, although painted 802017 (R) is looking immensely shiny, painted 802114 (C) is completely riddled with tasteless graffiti, and vinyled 800004/800036 (L) are looking very faded compared to their painted counterparts. I do hope one day they get painted, and it’s a shame that GWR put them out in a state, but if mindless hoodlums will vandalise the sets, unfortunately availability is so low that it’s put out a scribbled-on train or cancel a diagram.

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
View attachment 140292

Cardiff Central, just now

Seriously though, there, although painted 802017 (R) is looking immensely shiny, painted 802114 (C) is completely riddled with tasteless graffiti, and vinyled 800004/800036 (L) are looking very faded compared to their painted counterparts. I do hope one day they get painted, and it’s a shame that GWR put them out in a state, but if mindless hoodlums will vandalise the sets, unfortunately availability is so low that it’s put out a scribbled-on train or cancel a diagram.
Some of the 802s are currently getting painted, I believe 802017 is one that’s just been done which is why it looks so shiny.

View attachment 140292

Not my 114! :(

802018 has some of the worst graffiti I've ever seen. Found it yesterday.

Anonymous10

Established Member
View attachment 140292

Think I saw this at central this morning. Let's see what it's like in a few hours.

LiftFan

Are there a lot of TSRs on or are the IETs just really struggling in diesel mode now? Getting the train from Westbury to Plymouth today and it seems like they are a lot more sluggish than they used to be. Working round Westbury I’ve noticed a lot of IETs have been losing time up the B&H recently.

Established Member
Are there a lot of TSRs on or are the IETs just really struggling in diesel mode now? Getting the train from Westbury to Plymouth today and it seems like they are a lot more sluggish than they used to be. Working round Westbury I’ve noticed a lot of IETs have been losing time up the B&H recently.
Potentially 1 GU locked out?

irish_rail

Established Member
In the Up direction there are some major TSRs now, including the Westbury avoided now 20mph which costs a few minutes. I also haven't driven a set with all engines running this week, and several have 2 out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I personally quite like the matt look of a vinylled unit, though them having left the door surrounds white looks really cheap.

I personally quite like the matt look of a vinylled unit, though them having left the door surrounds white looks really cheap.
A clean painted unit always looks smarter, just a shame they didn’t bother replacing or touching up the external egress handles, the vinyl units there are multiple cut marks where they’ve had to cover over for damage etc so some look noticeably rough, they also don’t clean up as well as a painted unit does

LiftFan

In the Up direction there are some major TSRs now, including the Westbury avoided now 20mph which costs a few minutes. I also haven't driven a set with all engines running this week, and several have 2 out.
Makes sense! I understand the TSRs but I have been curious with so many of these being incredibly slow to accelerate and not reaching line speed on diesel in recent weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.