• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station announcements at Preston stating Moss Side is a request stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

All platforms

As it says on the tin. I was at Preston last week as part of my doing the Blackpool South line and the stations announcements there all mentioned Moss Side as a request stop. No such announcements on any of the trains i was on and i actually alighted at Moss Side without issues before hearing any mention of a request stop. I know the guard activates the level crossing in the Preston direction so perhaps that was it.

Does anyone know where the request stop element has come from? Likely to happen? or just a mistake that's got into the system somehow?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It seems to be in the data for trains towards Blackpool only, e.g.:

but not:

No idea if it's a mistake - one way only is odd.

RPI

Established Member

but not:

Quintrell downs is a request in one direction and booked stop the other, due to the driver having to operate the level crossing heading towards Par, so its not as unusual as it sounds.

Clip

Established Member
Quintrell downs is a request in one direction and booked stop the other, due to the driver having to operate the level crossing heading towards Par, so its not as unusual as it sounds.
Similar thing for Moss side in that the guard operates the crossing towards Preston - automatic towards Blackpool. didnt know it was a request stop though mind you i dont really pay much attention when im on it for looking out the window :)

skyhigh

Established Member
Does anyone know where the request stop element has come from? Likely to happen? or just a mistake that's got into the system somehow?
It's an error in the data and will be rectified as soon as possible. It's not a request stop and trains will stop there.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It keeps changing! I believe at the moment it's not a request stop in either direction (supported by RTT) But I've also know in times gone by it to be a request stop in both directions (which is odd because, as you say, it must stop heading to Par) Also I've know it not to be a stop at all, despite the train needing to stop (in one direction anyway) so it's all a bit of a mess!

RPI

Established Member
It keeps changing! I believe at the moment it's not a request stop in either direction (supported by RTT) But I've also know in times gone by it to be a request stop in both directions (which is odd because, as you say, it must stop heading to Par) Also I've know it not to be a stop at all, despite the train needing to stop (in one direction anyway) so it's all a bit of a mess!
Ah, not been there for a few years other than during Boardmasters (when all are non stop Par to Newquay and vice versa).

Certainly was the case previously that it was request in one direction only.

SargeNpton

Established Member
As it says on the tin. I was at Preston last week as part of my doing the Blackpool South line and the stations announcements there all mentioned Moss Side as a request stop. No such announcements on any of the trains i was on and i actually alighted at Moss Side without issues before hearing any mention of a request stop. I know the guard activates the level crossing in the Preston direction so perhaps that was it.

Informed sources tell me that this is correct.

Parallel

Established Member

but not:

Some stops on the Heart of Wales line are only request stops in one direction.

When travelling northbound, Ffairfach is a request stop in this direction only.

When travelling southbound, Bucknell, Dolau, Llangadog, Llanwrda, Llandybie and Ammanford are request stops in this direction only.

On the Conwy Valley Line, Tal-y-Cafn is a request stop northbound but is a mandatory stop southbound.

I think it relates to the adjacent crossings.

Hugo3000

Right. Well they're wrong as it's not a request stop in either direction. Though it'll take a while for the CIS system to be changed.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

The fact that it's marked as a request stop is unlikely to be an error - there has to be a deliberate decision on the part of the planner (at Northern and ultimately NR) to add in the request stop activity code, R (in lieu of the normal 'station call' activity code, T).

That said, it could have been copied over from an old timetable for example.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Right. Well they're wrong as it's not a request stop in either direction. Though it'll take a while for the CIS system to be changed.
The CIS screens are reflecting what is in the timetable data feed - as bid for by Northern and published by Network Rail. As Watershed has said above, inputting a request stop has to be done as a deliberate decision.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The CIS screens are reflecting what is in the timetable data feed - as bid for by Northern and published by Network Rail. As Watershed has said above, inputting a request stop has to be done as a deliberate decision.
But it doesn't mean it was a correct deliberate action!

Hugo3000

There is nothing to take up. Northern have requested that the error is rectified but as I said it'll take a while.

ayubdaud

Surely if it is an error it is a quick fix for Northern to request to NR planning as a data fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.