• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station announcements download

Status
Not open for further replies.

danners430

Hi folks,
I've been trying to find some station announcements to download and use on my model railway. Does anyone know where I can obtain downloads of Scottish announcements? I've hunted for a while, but can't find them. Also, I need German announcements too - any advice there?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Network Rail do provide them on a CD for those who make a Freedom of Information request for them.

The key thing seems to be to ask for (and limit your request to) announcements from a specific station that is managed by Network Rail.

As an example see this request which eventualy resulted on the requester being sent a CD of announcements from Euston.

Strathclyde Passenger Transport have provided them for the subway stations that are operated by them, as per their response here.

TFL have provided CD's of Overground announcement as referred to here (they also regularly send out ibus and underground announcement CD's).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I missed the key thing here - making my post relevent to the original question, which was for announcements from Scottish Stations!

Basically, you should make a Freedom of Information Act request to Network Rail for the announcements from Edinburgh Waverly or Glasgow Central stations (or two seperate requests).

If it of interest to you, you could also request the announcements from Strathclyde Underground.

It may also be worth making a FoI request to Strathclyde Passenger Transit for the announcements for the train lines that they run, though as their services are run by Scotrail they may not hold them.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Might I suggest that taking up staff time with FOI requests to help build your model railways isn't really in the *spirit* of the legislation?

Might I suggest that taking up staff time with FOI requests to help build your model railways isn't really in the *spirit* of the legislation?

I used to think like that, but then I spent too long on the whatdotheyknow.com website and saw:
= the number of obviously commercial companies who are using it to compile their own databases (do a search for tm44 air conditioning assessments);
= the amount of non-public FoI requests made to NHS organisations by drugs companies, pharmacy chains etc. so they can measure their own performance;
= the frivolous requests for information that ultimately get ignored or are of no use to the requester even when provided.

I have come to the conclusion that making a request for a CD of audio announcements for a model railway is 'not that bad' a request, and because it's made available under FoI for an individual to use, it gets around the possible copyright implications of a private individual making his own recordings of announcements (as the individual is making the copy, rather than the authority).

ash39

Established Member
I've always thought they'd be a good way to add an extra level of realism to a model without too much difficulty.

If anyone could get the rights to sell a full set of Phil Sayer announcements covering all TOC's, stations, times, platforms and other generic information, it would make an absolute fortune. Especially if easy to use. Trouble is I don't know who owns the rights to the recordings or how it would work legally.

LAX54

Established Member

Tine AND Costs ! plus you would not have though that it comes under FOI !
talk about wasting peoples time and money

danners430

Thanks for the help guys,
I made a FOI request to NR, but they responded saying that they couldn't supply the recordings, as they were held by a third party company, so it would be violating corporate interests. Fair enough - Link
I've checked out the website named above, it seems to be perfect - thanks for bringing it to my attention! I just need to get Audacity out, do a little editing, and I'll be able to create an (almost) full folder of announcements, simply needing put together. Thanks for suggesting that!

bramling

Veteran Member

He pays his taxes and all that ...

As a taxpayer there's a *lot* of things I would prefer my tax contributions not to go towards. The cost of a few FOI requests is pretty minimal in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.