• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Dwell Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordeh

After quite a worrying scenario last Monday, it got me wondering what are unacceptable dwell times in stations, or at least enough time to get off the train?

I was returning from Leeds Festival to Derby quite early on Monday morning on an XC HST with my hands completely full clutching chairs and as the train arrived into Derby I couldn't find my wallet. It took me a good 20-30 seconds to get it and then reach the doors of the carriage to get off the train. With my hands full, a little panic and no instructions or experience in opening the HSTs doors (i'm used to a simple button) I simply couldn't get the doors open. I banged on the windows to get the station staffs attention to help me but was simply informed "You've had your chance to get off the train" and the train was about to leave I believe. Some guys on the carriage then helpfully came over trying to help and informed the station staff they worked on the railway who then reluctantly opened the doors for me. With extreme tiredness, no money or phone on me, the prospect of continuing to Tamworth to come back to Derby was certainly not a nice one.

From what I understand the train was late, I haven't checked the times of it but there was certainly a lot of stopping around Sheffield and the fact the train was at Derby for no more than a few minutes suggests it was late when its not uncommon to see XC trains wait around in Derby for around 10 minutes. The whole experience has left me a little confused as I don't think I've done anything wrong, 20-30 seconds to get off the train really isn't that long?

I've no intention of bashing any TOCs or staff members for this or complaining but I'd definitely be interested in knowing what occured here happens regularly and whether 30 seconds or so to get off a train is acceptable, especially as I was pleading with the staff member with a whistle on the platform to let me off (Not sure the name of this position sorry!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Standard dwells for a HST should never be less than 1 minute, even that is pushing it really, 90 seconds is what is normally used.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
30 seconds is far more than enough in my opinion. Obviously, if there are large numbers of people getting on or off, it'll be more.

I always aim to be in the vestibule well before the train stops, and I've never had a problem.

rmt-driver

Ditto, carrying various chairs or furniture etc.. Next time I'd recommend a cab or car hire if long distance

N Levers

Although HSTs should be planned to have at least 90 seconds to stop, if it is running a minute late there is nothing to stop it leaving on time if there appears to be nobody else getting on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.