• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Grade B - Shunter including relief - Yoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT18

Hello everyone, I saw this advert on the ScotRail website and a bit confused with the title and salary. If it’s a shunter’s role how can it be a station grade and is the salary of £29,652 not a bit low to be a shunter?

Please excuse my ignorance if this all makes sense and it’s just me being clueless but any information would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hello everyone, I saw this advert on the ScotRail website and a bit confused with the title and salary. If it’s a shunter’s role how can it be a station grade and is the salary of £29,652 not a bit low to be a shunter?

Please excuse my ignorance if this all makes sense and it’s just me being clueless but any information would be much appreciated.
Quite often shunters are lumped in with station grades in collective bargaining and are paid on the payscale accordingly.

Sadly, no. For a pure shunter it very much depends on the size of the depot in question, how many other shunters you have to work with etc (although Yoker isn’t by any means small, there may be other factors I’m not aware of). Don’t forget as well that that’s a basic salary, not the complete package.

CloudyManday

I thought that myself, but looking back the ones that are advertised with a higher salary are being described at a Engineering Shunter role. No idea what the differences are between the roles and differences in responsibility. My dad was an engineer with ScotRail, so I'll ask him and see if he knows that the difference is.

MT18

Quite often shunters are lumped in with station grades in collective bargaining and are paid on the payscale accordingly.

Sadly, no. For a pure shunter it very much depends on the size of the depot in question, how many other shunters you have to work with etc (although Yoker isn’t by any means small, there may be other factors I’m not aware of). Don’t forget as well that that’s a basic salary, not the complete package.

I thought that myself, but looking back the ones that are advertised with a higher salary are being described at a Engineering Shunter role. No idea what the differences are between the roles and differences in responsibility. My dad was an engineer with ScotRail, so I'll ask him and see if he knows that the difference is.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.