• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Naming for Commercial Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartland

I have noticed at Wolverhampton Station that the name boards state City of Wolverhampton with City Badge. I was curious as to when the change happened and more importantly I recognise a trend where universities and colleges appear on the station name boards of certain stations now. Is this a form of commercial advertising, or simply a modern way of advising local places like Chirk does for the World Heritage Site at Pontcysyllte

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's a bit of both. Merseyrail is quite a fan of "local attraction boards" which are not paid for, e.g. advertising Ormskirk market. Some of them like that Anglia Ruskin one (which also gives me a giggle) are paid for. No particular objection to these, though I do dislike having names of businesses in the station names unless it's a dedicated station like IBM Halt was.

gsnedders

Established Member
No particular objection to these, though I do dislike having names of businesses in the station names unless it's a dedicated station like IBM Halt was.
Though that, of course, runs the risk of becoming inaccurate, as IBM has.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Hardly a current example, but Ashburys station in Manchester was named after the nearby Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Ltd in 1855. The Works is long gone (relocated in 1902 according to WP) and there is no district called Ashburys, the station is in Openshaw.

Firesprite

Then there is Poole where it states on the name boards 'The home of Bournemouth University' which is a fact.

8A Rail

Established Member
It's a bit of both. Merseyrail is quite a fan of "local attraction boards" which are not paid for, e.g. advertising Ormskirk market. Some of them like that Anglia Ruskin one (which also gives me a giggle) are paid for. No particular objection to these, though I do dislike having names of businesses in the station names unless it's a dedicated station like IBM Halt was.
It is "Merseytravel" rather than Merseyrail, as the "local attraction boards" are also on the other lines too (i.e. L&M, CLC & LNWR line's) within the MT area.

Some examples:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8arail/27020216782/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8arail/20855902355/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8arail/36562609871/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I heard that Pal Meat for Dogs was sponsoring one London terminus -- 'Enriched with Nourishing Marylebone Jelly', as the adverts used to say.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hatfield now has University of Hertfordshire under the signs. I don’t know if it paid for that.

The newer onboard CIS mention Hatfield House.

trash80

Established Member
I have noticed at Wolverhampton Station that the name boards state City of Wolverhampton with City Badge. I was curious as to when the change happened and more importantly I recognise a trend where universities and colleges appear on the station name boards of certain stations now. Is this a form of commercial advertising, or simply a modern way of advising local places like Chirk does for the World Heritage Site at Pontcysyllte

Its advertising. I worked at BCU in the marketing dept when they got the "coup" of putting Birmingham City University adverts above the Wolverhampton nameboards. The management got all excited about it.

gg1

Established Member
I heard that Pal Meat for Dogs was sponsoring one London terminus -- 'Enriched with Nourishing Marylebone Jelly', as the adverts used to say.

'hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fenny Stratford'

I'll get my coat:D

Established Member
Sorry, photo apparently hasn't uploaded but I can't detach it from the post.

Attachments

• Chapel small.docx
    196.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Established Member
I kike this one (and I hope you will, if the photo's uploaded this time).

Attachments

• Chapel reduced.jpg
    Chapel reduced.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 119

eastdyke

Established Member
The new Cambridge North should have the other major education institutions in Cambridge i.e. Cambridge Regional College

snowball

Established Member
The bridge carrying the East Suffolk over Norwich Road in Ipswich had FERODO in big white letters along the span. Known locally as 'the ferodo bridge'.

No idea if it still carrys the lettering, although this 2013 article in East Anglian Daily Times suggests that it may well do.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ipswich-digger-collides-with-ferodo-bridge-in-norwich-road-1-2192428

Looking pretty faded when the Streetview car passed in 2016:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...4!1s8_S0So_mS-GZ3mZwmsNILQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A rail-over-road bridge in Oldham used to carry the message "Seton welcome you to Oldham, home of the tubular bandage", but the bridge was demolished when the line was converted to Metrolink.

eastdyke

Established Member
Looking pretty faded when the Streetview car passed in 2016:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0...4!1s8_S0So_mS-GZ3mZwmsNILQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A rail-over-road bridge in Oldham used to carry the message "Seton welcome you to Oldham, home of the tubular bandage", but the bridge was demolished when the line was converted to Metrolink.

Not as faded as the words 'DISC BRAKE PADS' across the parapet!
But good to see that the low bridge warning signs have been rationalised. There used to be 2, one imperial and one metric, now replaced by a single dual unit sign. The metric sign used to completely obscure the 'F'.

Much more about this and other FERODO bridges on freston.net:
http://www.freston.net/stuff/ip-ferodo.html

John Webb

Established Member
At some point during the previous 'Thameslink' TOC's tenure, one of their senior managers visited the preserved St Albans South signal box and was shown the original BR Midland Region 'Running In' board displaying "St Albans City". At that time the station nameboards just said "St Albans". Within 6 months they had been replaced by boards saying once again "St Albans City", which does help travellers to distinguish it from the St Albans Abbey station a mile or so away.

ChrisHogan

Not sure about profit as the station was a dead loss financially but Butlins Penychain on the Cambrian Coast is the best example.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hardly a current example, but Ashburys station in Manchester was named after the nearby Ashbury Railway Carriage and Iron Company Ltd in 1855. The Works is long gone (relocated in 1902 according to WP) and there is no district called Ashburys, the station is in Openshaw.

I have always thought that if they re-named the station Openshaw, and had a ceremony and did it in conjunction with improvements to platforms and waiting areas, installed a ticket machine, improved nearby signage and did a local marketing campaign, people might actually use it. If you are a local the station is almost hidden, has a very random name and is in a bit of a state - despite the excellent service it has rather few users.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
On a more mundane level, Heald Green station has similar sized station boards under those of the station name boards, that exhort passengers to visit Wythenshawe Town Centre.

Does that constitute bribery?:: Surely you'd need a financial inducement to do so.:lol:

Josie

I have always thought that if they re-named the station Openshaw, and had a ceremony and did it in conjunction with improvements to platforms and waiting areas, installed a ticket machine, improved nearby signage and did a local marketing campaign, people might actually use it. If you are a local the station is almost hidden, has a very random name and is in a bit of a state - despite the excellent service it has rather few users.
I think West Gorton or even Beswick would be more suited, the middle of Openshaw is quite a way away. The current Gorton station would probably do better as Openshaw.

Almost back on topic - and not very far away - the Metrolink stop at Etihad Campus was originally to be called Sportcity Stadium. (Velopark was to be Sportcity Velodrome.) It got renamed in line with the stadium sponsor before it was built.

Status
Not open for further replies.