• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station rationalisation - those where a platform or two could easily be removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
Newcastle Central lost a platform this year. P12.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Burrows

Lincoln Central could lose at least one of the east-facing bays (if they haven't been removed already).
Both the east facing bays (platforms 1 & 2) are used by services starting or terminating to/from Grimsby or Peterborough so could not be easily removed.

The exile

Established Member
Pretty sure there was always a platform 7 too - next to the old motorail platform.
IIRC Pl. 7 was also a reinstatement - but much earlier than anything else at that end (could it have been with the coming of the HSTs as they didn't need loco release facilities?)

Travelmonkey

Most fast line platforms on quadruple track lines could be removed with the only impact being during engineering works or infrastructure problems on the slows.
On one of my recent journeys a platform on the fasts could have been useful as they had to pull a Rugley Trent Valley stop due to a broken freight on the slows,

I'd get rid of the stubby little platform 4 at Nottingham and connect the line up of 5 for another thru road

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I'd get rid of the stubby little platform 4 at Nottingham and connect the line up of 5 for another thru road
Noting that Platform 4 is already a through line and Platform 5 is well used by services terminating from the West I am unclear how this would improve things.
Nottingham really needs a west-facing bay given the prevailing service patterns.

Lots of the eastern end bays at Edinburgh Waverley. Time was when there was only the short bay platform 2 for the North Berwick trains.
But that time was presumably before the reopening of the Borders line and also the increased frequency of ECML (including XC) services and the addition of Lumo, so it's not hard to see why things have moved on.

Having said that, there are four eastern bays, which, even if that qualified as 'lots', all appear to be used extensively - all are occupied at the time of posting, for example....

Edit: didn't spot that the quoted post was in the section of the thread where the logic had temporarily been reversed and was no longer talking about superfluous platforms!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Do all the six (?) platforms at Skegness station on the Lincolnshire coast still get regular use?

Lincoln Central could lose at least one of the east-facing bays (if they haven't been removed already).
It' still got 2 east facing bays & 3 through platforms plus 2 centre roads.
Originally there were 4 east facing bays & 4 through platforms with 2 centre roads.

vic-rijrode

Indeed, the title of this thread is oddly negative, a common trait on here. So, lets reverse this.

From memory, platforms that have or are being reinstated.
Swindon down, Taunton middle, Newquay, Axminster, Hartlepool, Sunderland, Barry Island?. More I'm sure.
There is no sign of the disused platform at Sunderland being reinstated (just yet).

geoffk

Established Member
Indeed, the title of this thread is oddly negative, a common trait on here. So, lets reverse this.

Swindon down, Taunton middle, Newquay, Axminster, Hartlepool, Sunderland, Barry Island?. More I'm sure.
Rochdale platform 4. Was Blackburn platform 4 ever closed?

jfowkes

Hull platform 1 is being bought back into service right now.

The exile

Established Member

Cardiff Queen Street, Dunbar

TheBigD

Established Member
Do all the six (?) platforms at Skegness station on the Lincolnshire coast still get regular use?

No.
Platform 6 and 7 are definitely out of use. Platform 2, whilst operational, isn't used.
Not sure about Platform 5, I think it's usable though.
Services tend to use platform 3 and 4 most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.