• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations not near their names

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Sandwell and Dudley is a good distance from Dudley but I am told it's named after Dudley Metropolitan Borough rather than Dudley town.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vic-rijrode

Verney Junction was nowhere near Verney. But the Verney Arms was adjacent to the station. Before the First World War, one could have had a snifter at the 'Arms', then boarded one's Pullman carriage and been conveyed in some style by the Metropolitan Railway to Baker Street, passing Winslow Road, Granborough Road, Quainton Road and Waddesdon (not Road - which was on the Brill Tramway), all of which were some distance from the villages/town they purported to serve.

Djgr

Established Member
Sandwell and Dudley is a good distance from Dudley but I am told it's named after Dudley Metropolitan Borough rather than Dudley town.
From what I recall both Sandwell and Dudley councils put money into its upgrading to an "Inter-city" station and hence its renaming.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Tooting station (originally Tooting Junction) is actually just over the border in Mitcham (until 1965 this was the county boundary between London and Surrey), but was so named because when it opened it was the closest station to Tooting and there were already two stations in Mitcham. When, later on, the Northern Line reached central Tooting, the two stations on that line needed suffixes (Broadway and Bec respectively)

JRT

But it was a junction going to the WCML, you can still see the viaduct in the Lune gorge off the WCML. IIRC the Midland Railway built it before they built the S & C. But problems with the L.N.W.R. forced their hand.

Just had a look at Giggleswick and the distance to Giggleswick school, walking 1.1 miles.
Then I had a look at the distance to Giggleswick school from Settle and it's the same at 1.1 miles.
Btw Giggleswick station was originally called Settle.

Thought it was Sandwell Metropolitan Borough. Anyway original name Oldbury and that's where I was going when I got off there. I’ve no idea what other districts the station serves but I didn't go anywhere else . Actually Oldbury seems to be surrounded by other stations so something like Oldbury Main Line may be appropriate?

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but still related to place names. When Mark Steel visited St Davids in Pembrokeshire for his radio programme, a girl from the tourist office told a story about a couple who came in after driving from somewhere like Newport (Gwent). They asked her where the shopping centre was: the St David’s Shopping Centre is in Cardiff.

prod_pep

Established Member
More strange merseyisms I seem to remember from living up there. Leasowe station (I think) sits in the north eastern tip of Moreton, whilst Moreton station is the closest to Leasowe Lighthouse
Yes, quite right. The district sign for Leasowe is about 100 yards north of the station on Reeds Lane. Leasowe Lighthouse is a bit of a misnomer nowadays as it is adjacent to Moreton Shore.

A couple of other Mersey curiosities: Aintree station is far less convenient for Aintree village, where most of the area's population lives, than Old Roan. The pub from which the latter station takes its name has long closed. Both stations also serve Netherton to their immediate west.

Southport's Meols Cop is something of an oddity, located over half a mile north of the retail park of the same name. I'm not sure if there is a suburb of Southport named Meols Cop.

Mikey C

Established Member
Elstree and Borehamwood isn't especially near Elstree BUT it fits in with the misnamed film studios which are all in Borehamwood even if they say they're in Elstree :E

brad465

Established Member
Pluckley is around 1.5 miles from its station, and depending on where their residents want to go, and Charing station is almost as convenient to get to from there. Frant station is located in a village called Bells Yew Green, and is also 1.5 miles from its station.

thenorthern

Established Member
There are several stations which are named after things that were seen as important during their time despite now being seen as relatively minor or a long distance from the thing they are named after. Villages where the aristocracy lived or public schools are some examples.

Some I can think of are
  • Repton & Willington - after Repton School although it's now just Willington.
  • Box Hill and Westhumble - after Box Hill School.
  • Windsor and Eton - Eton I think you know what that is.
  • Cark and Cartmel - Cartmel is seem as posh.
  • Mid Calder - Kirknewton was called this as at the time Mid Calder was relatively important.

Djgr

Established Member
Yes, quite right. The district sign for Leasowe is about 100 yards north of the station on Reeds Lane. Leasowe Lighthouse is a bit of a misnomer nowadays as it is adjacent to Moreton Shore.

A couple of other Mersey curiosities: Aintree station is far less convenient for Aintree village, where most of the area's population lives, than Old Roan. The pub from which the latter station takes its name has long closed. Both stations also serve Netherton to their immediate west.

Southport's Meols Cop is something of an oddity, located over half a mile north of the retail park of the same name. I'm not sure if there is a suburb of Southport named Meols Cop.
You'd think so but as you can see from the attached photo the road sign for Aintree Village is right by the (Aintree) railway station.

Attachments

• 240px-Aintree_Village_sign.jpg
    240px-Aintree_Village_sign.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 13

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You'd think so but as you can see from the attached photo the road sign for Aintree Village is right by the (Aintree) railway station.

There's quite a bit of confusion about the name of places round there. I grew up in the area around Old Roan station until age 7 (Bradfield Avenue behind the shops) and we only ever referred to that as "the Old Roan". My Nan lived on Greenwich Road by Walton Cemetery and we always called that "Aintree", though you'd not need to go far down the main road for it to be "Fazakerley" (one way) or "Walton Vale" (the other). The term "Aintree Village" was not in common usage at all.

I suspect those signs (which appeared in the 90s, the other one is by the big Asda near Switch Island) may well have influenced what people call it more recently.

Meols Cop is the area around that station in Southport (also Blowick according to the OS map), though it's probably in minority usage - most probably years ago it was a standalone village. The retail park came much later (again 90s).

There are several stations which are named after things that were seen as important during their time despite now being seen as relatively minor or a long distance from the thing they are named after. Villages where the aristocracy lived or public schools are some examples.

Some I can think of are

I think we should rename that "Slough West" and see how far away the bloke with the signage van gets before he is lynched :)

It is quite nice, but then so is Cark. I suspect this isn't about it being posh, but rather that it served Cartmel in the days before the car (e.g. for farmers taking their livestock and produce to market on the railway by horse and cart). While Grange is a bit closer (I've walked to/from both) it's up a massive hill.

To add confusion the road signs for Cark say "Cark In Cartmel".

Last edited:

Kingspanner

Is the winner in this category the (closed) station at Gatehouse? According to Sustrans it is 6 miles from Gatehouse of Fleet for which it was the station.

prod_pep

Established Member
Sefton Council seemingly refer to the entirety of Aintree as 'Aintree Village' but I've heard it more often used exclusively for the area of housing centred on Altway. The point still stands that Old Roan is more convenient for the village of Aintree itself.

As for 'Old Roan', we've had this more than once before. It might occasionally be used to refer to the crossroads (and adjacent Bleasdale shopping parade) but never the housing beyond and I've lived in around Liverpool all my life.

urbophile

Established Member
There's quite a bit of confusion about the name of places round there. I grew up in the area around Old Roan station until age 7 (Bradfield Avenue behind the shops) and we only ever referred to that as "the Old Roan". My Nan lived on Greenwich Road by Walton Cemetery and we always called that "Aintree", though you'd not need to go far down the main road for it to be "Fazakerley" (one way) or "Walton Vale" (the other). The term "Aintree Village" was not in common usage at all.
'Village' is a bit of a misnomer for a sprawling suburb like Aintree. Presumably there was some sort of settlement in the 19th century and earlier; there was a Victorian parish church there until a few years ago, and there are Victorian and Edwardian terraces along the main road north of the racecourse, but nearer Aintree station than Old Roan. If there was an ancient village in the Old Roan area I have never found it: most of the housing appears to be post-WW2 semis. I'd guess that the development around Aintree station is the original one; in any case it's the obvious name for it as it is opposite the racecourse.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think the village was originally called Cark-in-Cartmel.

With Cartmel it used to be the most important place in that area which is known as the Cartmel Peninsula, obviously now Grange-over-Sands is the most important.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I think we should rename [Windsor & Eton] "Slough West" and see how far away the bloke with the signage van gets before he is lynched :)
That would be very confusing, as both Windsor and Eton are south of Slough. (Both W&E stations are actually in Windsor, but cross from the Eton side of the Thames to get there).

WesternBiker

I think we should rename that "Slough West" and see how far away the bloke with the signage van gets before he is lynched :)
That would be very confusing, as both Windsor and Eton are south of Slough. (Both W&E stations are actually in Windsor, but cross from the Eton side of the Thames to get there).
Well, we could try "Slough South" or better still, "Slough Riverside". :smile: I don't reckon the signage van would get across the bridge...

(Bearing in mind Bletcheyite is only kidding...)

HSP 2

It is quite nice, but then so is Cark. I suspect this isn't about it being posh, but rather that it served Cartmel in the days before the car (e.g. for farmers taking their livestock and produce to market on the railway by horse and cart). While Grange is a bit closer (I've walked to/from both) it's up a massive hill.

The road sign is quit correct I did try and explain it in post #120.

Cartmel is the small district a bit like Furness is the larger district that had the Abbey of Furness. Cartmel had the Priory of Cartmel.

scragend

'Village' is a bit of a misnomer for a sprawling suburb like Aintree. Presumably there was some sort of settlement in the 19th century and earlier; there was a Victorian parish church there until a few years ago, and there are Victorian and Edwardian terraces along the main road north of the racecourse, but nearer Aintree station than Old Roan. If there was an ancient village in the Old Roan area I have never found it: most of the housing appears to be post-WW2 semis. I'd guess that the development around Aintree station is the original one; in any case it's the obvious name for it as it is opposite the racecourse.

I find any settlement which starts to refer to itself as "village" (i.e. as part of its name) is usually anything but a village - it's just trying too hard because it makes it sound nicer.

Actual villages just have names, and the V word usually isn't in it.

The exile

Established Member

Box Hill and Westhumble - after Box Hill School.
Remarkably prescient, as the station has had “Boxhill” or “Box Hill” in its name since 1870 - 89 years before the school opened.
There’s a better example a few stations further south….

zwk500

Veteran Member

Some I can think of are
  • Mid Calder - Kirknewton was called this as at the time Mid Calder was relatively important.
Probably the most famous example is Christ's hospital, although in it's defence it is reasonably close to the school (even if the school has never offered much traffic).
Staying in Sussex, the now-closed Ardingly station was closer to Ardingly College than the village of that name, and I believe had 'for Ardingly College' on the station name boards. (There is a photo here on Disused Stations but it isn't very clear.) It was about 1 mile from the village.

Western Sunset

Established Member

Some I can think of are
I thought that Repton was named after the village it served, rather than Repton School per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.