• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that fell from grace- stations still in use today that once were significantly more impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Maybe Henley-In-Arden could join the list?
Agreed! The North Warwick must have been quite something back in GWR days given the remaining bits of stations and footbridges etc.

Whilst some work to keep the old bits in good condition, stations such as Henley would look even better with a station building restored and used as a community building similar to Stone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goofle

Cleethorpes.
6 platforms down to two (back to four now), now singled from / to Grimsby., turntable, carriage sidings...

Harvester

Established Member
Haltwhistle deserves a mention. The Alston branch platform is long gone, along with the goods yard, loco service facilities and turntable. The latter was used to turn the Alston branch locos and those off the Carlisle-Haltwhistle ‘stoppers’.

Nova1

stations such as Henley would look even better with a station building restored and used as a community building similar to Stone.
I think there is actually a plan for the local community taking over the station building on platform 1 and using it for something, not sure what though, I know the building needs a lot of work on the inside though.
Henley-In-Arden used to have a beautiful footbridge (that was removed to make way for a footbridge with lifts that are always out of service), although I think it was donated to Gloucester Heritage railway.

Some of the stations on the line are much closer to what the used to be, Wilmcote is a pretty one, the community keep up the flowerbeds etc and it has both buildings intact (although closed) with a pretty footbridge.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I think there is actually a plan for the local community taking over the station building on platform 1 and using it for something, not sure what though, I know the building needs a lot of work on the inside though.
Henley-In-Arden used to have a beautiful footbridge (that was removed to make way for a footbridge with lifts that are always out of service), although I think it was donated to Gloucester Heritage railway.

Some of the stations on the line are much closer to what the used to be, Wilmcote is a pretty one, the community keep up the flowerbeds etc and it has both buildings intact (although closed) with a pretty footbridge.
Yes, Wilmcote was the other station I was recalling. Though the footbridge did seem in poor condition last time I was down there.

Is there an opposite thread, stations which are grander than they have ever been? If not I’ll start one, though it will be shorter than this one!

Efini92

Established Member
OK...well if you think Man. Vic is a dump now, you clearly never had the misfortune when it truly was a dump

Bury St Edmunds..." somewhat depleted " compared to the 70's

Holyhead...as bleak, desolate and windswept as it always has been...so no change there.

Chester...at least Northgate was enclosed ...which is more than can be said for the current, somewhat run down looking, station.
At least it was a dump with character, now it’s just a dump.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Answering the original question, here’s my three:

Blackburn - used to have an impressive overall roof. Now looks like a small windswept station with barely more than bus shelters.

Stafford - until the 1960s brutalist rebuilding, was like a smaller version of Crewe complete with overall roof bridging the fast lines with ornate columns etc.

Morfa Mawddach - originally called Barmouth Junction, had four curving platforms where the Cambrian Coast and Dolgellau routes converged, perched on the southern end of Barmouth Bridge. Now a tiny unstaffed request stop.

och aye

Greenock Central and Oban certainly looked a lot grander in their heyday compared to, today.

ijmad

Established Member
No-one's mentioned London Cannon Street yet have they?

Used to be as grand as Charing Cross, now it's a giant office building with a couple of brick towers to remind us of what was.

Station roof is so low and flat that it feels positively claustrophobic sometimes!

Ken H

On Moderation
Victoria, seriously?! Apart from 1 and 2 plus the tram platforms, the other platforms are awful.
Putting buses and diesel trains in the basements of buildings never works.
Worcester bus stn is as bad as Man Vic. Dark and full of fumes.
Brum New St was bad while they did cross city with old DMUs. Marginally better now. Whoever specified the voyagers without pantographs?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
In terms of overall platform and space reduction? I think Manchester Victoria does that?
Manchester Victoria is still a significant station with an overall roof and plenty
of facilities. Manors is a half-forgotten halt with nothing at all; it looks almost completely closed when you pass it.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Is there an opposite thread, stations which are grander than they have ever been?

Haymarket (Edinburgh) is way better now than ever before, with even an extra platform!

Answering the original question, here’s my three:

Blackburn - used to have an impressive overall roof. Now looks like a small windswept station with barely more than bus shelters.

Not sure I would agree about Blackburn, I changed trains there in January and thought it a decent job of a modern station rebuild, definitely better than 'barely more than bus shelters'. Not far away however, if not already mentioned Accrington does not amount to much; It does have an enclosed ticket office/waiting area but it was closed when I was there, in the late afternoon.

E27007

I nominate Halifax West Yorkshire, , the original station buildings in a classical style and isolated "marooned" , and the current station just an island platform.
Halifax "Yorkshire Classical Greek" to "Asda shopping trolley porch",

Attachments

• 1855-Building-Halifax-Railway-Station-web-2134679542.jpeg
    1855-Building-Halifax-Railway-Station-web-2134679542.jpeg
    898.3 KB · Views: 49
  • the-entrance-to-halifax-railway-station-west-DCF3BC.jpg
    the-entrance-to-halifax-railway-station-west-DCF3BC.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Putting buses and diesel trains in the basements of buildings never works.
Worcester bus stn is as bad as Man Vic. Dark and full of fumes.
Brum New St was bad while they did cross city with old DMUs. Marginally better now. Whoever specified the voyagers without pantographs?
It can do if you install proper modern ventilation systems e.g Britomart in Auckland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britomart_Transport_Centre

Trackman

Established Member
Victoria, seriously?! Apart from 1 and 2 plus the tram platforms, the other platforms are awful.
(Manchester) Victoria has my vote too.
Did you see it before they butchered it?

Also someone else mentioned Blackpool South, now that was a complete butchering job.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
(Manchester) Victoria has my vote too.
Did you see it before they butchered it?

Also someone else mentioned Blackpool South, now that was a complete butchering job.
Unfortunately not, I'm only 20. I imagine it had looked a lot more light and spacious before.
Blackpool Central, I feel, was the greater loss in Blackpool.

urbophile

Established Member
Is there an opposite thread, stations which are grander than they have ever been? If not I’ll start one, though it will be shorter than this one!
If it counts (since it is technically a new station), Liverpool South Parkway is far more impressive than the dingy suburban halt (Allerton) that it replaced. And it's gained an extra couple of platforms too by the relocation of Garston station on Merseyrail Northern Line.

RH Liner

Mansfield (Town) once three platforms and overall roof, now just the two with just a bus shelter for the busier Nottingham-bound services. Most of the surviving main building let out to private companies.
Also Barnetby, again all station buildings gone, only two of the four platforms in use.
Retford also lost out when the underpass was put in, and it lost its status as an important junction.

Oxfordblues

Pontypool Road, once a major junction for branches to Neath and Monmouth with a 50-siding marshalling yard, engine shed and carriage sidings.

Now the platform is a windswept wilderness with a bus shelter.

Zagreb Glavni (Main station) and many others in the Balkans
And there must be numerous overseas examples, although Zagreb Glavni seemed both reasonably substantial and reasonably busy when I went there (and Sarajevo still had an impressive building, just with hardly any trains or passengers).

Status
Not open for further replies.