• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that have e-ticket enabled but without barcode scanner at gateline

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
My ticket from Paddington to Taplow is an e-ticket, however there are no barcode scanners at the gateline at Taplow.

Are there any other gated stations for which e-tickets are enabled but without barcode scanners?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not been there recently, but that was the case at Moorgate. Gateline is run by TfL, but also used by passengers on Great Northern trains, with London Terminals e-tickets. Think it is similar at Old Street and Highbury and Islington on that route.

Class800

Established Member
Not been there recently, but that was the case at Moorgate. Gateline is run by TfL, but also used by passengers on Great Northern trains, with London Terminals e-tickets. Think it is similar at Old Street and Highbury and Islington on that route.
But I recall reading about many issues with such tickets being accepted at these stations

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes, lots. Farringdon for example. There will be too many to list.

Flying Snail

Established Member
My ticket from Paddington to Taplow is an e-ticket, however there are no barcode scanners at the gateline at Taplow.

Are there any other gated stations for which e-tickets are enabled but without barcode scanners?

It is possible to have an e-ticket valid at every station on the network so unless you want to restrict your query then the list will just be all stations without optical scanners.

Mikw

Kettering.

Although there are barriers there now they weren't in service yet the last time i travelled, but been using e tickets there for some time even before they were there.

That's one of the reasons why it's my go to station, so easy to just walk in and out.

miklcct

On Moderation
It is possible to have an e-ticket valid at every station on the network so unless you want to restrict your query then the list will just be all stations without optical scanners.
Do you mean that, for every gated station on the National Rail network, there exists a ticket which is valid to enter or exit that station and has e-ticket fulfillment enabled?

lxfe_mxtterz

Pretty sure there was a similar thread on this topic a few weeks back.

Based on my (very limited) experience, Battersea Park has no barcode scanners - at least on the "inside" of the gateline, not sure about the "outside" as I've only exited there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Do you mean that, for every gated station on the National Rail network, there exists a ticket which is valid to enter or exit that station and has e-ticket fulfillment enabled?
Quite probably.

Do you think there are any stations at which there would be no validity on any flow that is enabled for e-tickets? I'm not even sure how you'd possibly be able to work this out.

Flying Snail

Established Member

Not just every gated station, every station. 100 virtual £ to you if you can figure out why I am confident in that assertion.

bcarmicle

Do you think there are any stations at which there would be no validity on any flow that is enabled for e-tickets? I'm not even sure how you'd possibly be able to work this out.
If we were to only consider origin/destination validity (not starting short, break of journey, etc.), I would think that any station which has inter availability between LU and NR services should not have any enabled tickets. Whether they do in practice is of course a different matter, and once you introduce break of journey that no doubt makes it practicaly impossible to check.

Not just every gated station, every station. 100 virtual £ to you if you can figure out why I am confident in that assertion.
Is an ALR issuable as an eTicket?

Alex365Dash

GWR.com are the only online retailer of ALRs I am aware of and they only issue them by signed for (registered I assume) mail, no e-ticket or TOD collection.
Whilst GWR aren’t the only online retailer of All Line Rovers as Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern and Southeastern also sell them, they are still sent with signed for mail with no other fulfilment options available.

I know it’s not quite the same thing, but you could probably manage to get an ALR on PRT (Paper Roll Ticket) stock…

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
BritRail and Interrail/Eurail passes are, of course, issued as m-tickets nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.