• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations that should have their platforms renumbered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tio Terry

The problem isn't the wires and cables; it's that the signals at some stations, especially larger ones, have route indicators that display a platform number to drivers of approaching trains.
Believe me it is a major problem!

Many, many drawings, not just S&T but Civils, E&P and many more would need to be changed.

I got involved in estimating the cost and timescale for changes to a station in BR days. Things like Gas, Water, Electricity, Sewage, Aircon and many other things use platform numbers. The cost back then was enormous and for no tangible gain. It was also going to tie up much needed resources for something like 6 months, that's 6 months not working on a new project that would bring operational benefits and improve revenue.

Railsigns

Established Member
Believe me it is a major problem!

Many, many drawings, not just S&T but Civils, E&P and many more would need to be changed.
Yes, of course. My reply was in response to the notion that a wholesale re-labelling of signalling wires and cables would need to be undertaken because they're "all fully labelled with the platform numbers", which they are not.

Steve Harris

Was it not more that the station building is listed Grade II and alteration on that scale too expensive?
I think it was a case of, lack of space ment that to put it where it ideally needed to be ment the need to alter the building, which as you correctly pointed out is listed. So I'd say it's the former bringing the latter into play, rather than latter being more important than the former.

Or in other words, if there had been enough space then the matter of the building being listed wouldn't of mattered, as the bridge wouldn't of been connected to/gone through/been attached to the listed structure.

Hence why the bridge ended up where the platform 5 buffers used to be ! As it was only the (1 of 2 I can think of) place(s) which has enough room for it to fit without interfering with the listed structure. (The other being at the stops to platform 2, which would of ment shortening platform 2 which was/is more problematic compared to platform 5!)

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
Bristol. Temple. Meads. Numbered to 15, but it’s only got 9 platforms even if you count the unused platform 2. Not to mention the disappearing number 14. I’m sure the numbering system is only there to make GWR think it’s bigger than it is :p
Temple Meads platforms were completely renumbered in 1970, when the station was resignalled. The old layout had platforms 1 and 2 furthest from the entrance, with 12 to 15 being the terminal platforms in the Brunel train shed. The main departure platform for London was no. 9. Those are the numbers I still remember, rather than the new-fangled 1970 ones!

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
I find New Street confusing, the new refurbishment hasn’t helped much.

The platform numbering is in a logical sequence, the issue for me is that at one end of the station there is barrier-free access between all platforms, but not at the other end ! It took me a while to work out which stairs to use.....

Status
Not open for further replies.