• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations Which Could Have New Platforms on Nearby Lines

Elybob

e.g. Loughborough Junction and Brixton, which have been discussed previously.

Knottingley is an interesting one. You could practically touch the Askern Line - would there be much demand to build a new platform here for Doncaster trains?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
e.g. Loughborough Junction and Brixton, which have been discussed previously.

Knottingley is an interesting one. You could practically touch the Askern Line - would there be much demand to build a new platform here for Doncaster trains?
Knottingley did have platforms on the Askern route, back in the day, I believe. I spoke to someone from the Friends of Askern Station years ago; I don't think they realised you couldn't extend Leeds-Knottingley services down that way to Doncaster without omitting Knottingley itself!
Ravensthorpe, Carnforth
Ravensthorpe is getting a rebuild and will be on both routes post-TRU, hurrah.

Grumpy

Knottingley did have platforms on the Askern route, back in the day, I believe. I spoke to someone from the Friends of Askern Station years ago; I don't think they realised you couldn't extend Leeds-Knottingley services down that way to Doncaster without omitting Knottingley itself!
Show up clearly on the National Library of Scotland georeferenced maps

daodao

Established Member
Dore and Totley.

Trains also serving Dronfield could call, which would give 2 tph from Sheffield and thus a more useful service.

Nottingham59

Established Member
HS2 Curzon St. It runs alongside the WCML.

The whole Moor St/Curzon Street area could/should have been developed as a single Hauptbahnhof for the National network (a role that New St currently has but is too small for), and New St retained as a city centre station for commuters.

alxndr

Established Member
Pollokshields East - on the Cathcart circle but more or less touching the Barrhead lines. Also close to the Larkfield Curve (to the WCML at Polmadie) and Terminus Curve to the Clydesdale lines (heading to Shields) but I can't see that joining those up would ever make much sense.
Rutherglen - used to have a platform on the WCML but now is just the Argyle lines
Newton - similarly used to have platforms for the WCML
Barnhill - could have a platform on the line towards Stepps

BayPaul

Established Member
Yeovil Junction? Only about 500m from the east end of the platforms to the Castle Cary-Dorchester line. A platform there would make a far easier change between lines.

daodao

Established Member
Oulton broad north is really close to the east Suffolk line
There is already a station called "Oulton Broad South" on the East Suffolk line, so additional platforms on this line at Oulton Broad North would be of minimal value, unlike most of the other suggestions on this thread.

The Planner

Veteran Member
HS2 Curzon St. It runs alongside the WCML.

The whole Moor St/Curzon Street area could/should have been developed as a single Hauptbahnhof for the National network (a role that New St currently has but is too small for), and New St retained as a city centre station for commuters.
You wouldnt have the room between the tunnels and Proof House Junction. Its also on a viaduct and the gradient changes in the vicinity to about 1 in 45, so I doubt platforms would be ideal on that. Its also in the second signal section out of New St, so you couldn't plan a train out of New St until a train had departed the Curzon St station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Maryport on the Cumbrian Coast line, which for historic reasons, only has a single platform. Not sure if there is sufficient traffic to warrant the expense of a second platform. Similarly, Malton on the York -> Scarborough line. Possibly other forum users will consider otherwise.

Nottingham59

Established Member
You wouldnt have the room between the tunnels and Proof House Junction. Its also on a viaduct and the gradient changes in the vicinity to about 1 in 45, so I doubt platforms would be ideal on that. Its also in the second signal section out of New St, so you couldn't plan a train out of New St until a train had departed the Curzon St station.
I was thinking of new platfoms off the WCML mainline. So more a redevelopment, with new terminating platforms in the space between Moor St and Curzon St accessed by new chords from WCML.

There was an opportunity to make Curzon St/Moor St a new hub station for the whole national network, with chords to the WCML and Camp Hill lines, giving HS2 trains access to the Brisol, Oxford and Milton Keynes. But as always happens in the UK, HS2 focused purely on its own needs and did not optimise for the wider rail network.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was thinking of new platfoms off the WCML mainline. So more a redevelopment, with new terminating platforms in the space between Moor St and Curzon St accessed by new chords from WCML.

There was an opportunity to make Curzon St/Moor St a new hub station for the whole national network, with chords to the WCML and Camp Hill lines, giving HS2 trains access to the Brisol, Oxford and Milton Keynes. But as always happens in the UK, HS2 focused purely on its own needs and did not optimise for the wider rail network.
On this occasion, I don't think it was broken up planning but more just the basic practicalities of it. As mentioned, the Alignment of the WCML and proximity to New Street here makes anything connecting into it basically impossible to achieve without destroying the functionality of the existing railways.
Birmingham Interchange fulfills a lot of these functions anyway and the distance between New Street, Moor Street and Curzon Street is not significant - especially if the tram is then extended.

Brixton on the Overground Pair definitely should have them.
Yeovil Junction? Only about 500m from the east end of the platforms to the Castle Cary-Dorchester line. A platform there would make a far easier change between lines.
It'd be nice to do it but the question is how do you get to the other line for passengers. The other way to do it would be to put in a second curve to allow Pen Mill trains to call at Junction.
Maryport on the Cumbrian Coast line, which for historic reasons, only has a single platform. Not sure if there is sufficient traffic to warrant the expense of a second platform. Similarly, Malton on the York -> Scarborough line. Possibly other forum users will consider otherwise.
If either of these are ever resignalled they'd likely gain a second platform then.

MarkyT

Established Member
On this occasion, I don't think it was broken up planning but more just the basic practicalities of it. As mentioned, the Alignment of the WCML and proximity to New Street here makes anything connecting into it basically impossible to achieve without destroying the functionality of the existing railways.
Birmingham Interchange fulfills a lot of these functions anyway and the distance between New Street, Moor Street and Curzon Street is not significant - especially if the tram is then extended.
It's a ~5 minute walk through the St Martins Queensway tunnel between Moor/Curzon St and New St, which might be further improved with a travelator. You'll likely wait longer for a tram before even starting to move, though it's good that it will exist for those who can't move easily over such a distance, or other mobility solutions between the terminals might be laid on.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member

Not sure of the benefits of chords off the WCML and also, again, how you could build them. In terms of HS2 and your proposed chords, thats a different conversation on what HS2 is for. Particularly whether the proposed network and Delta Jn and elsewhere could cope with it.

Farigiraf

Greenwich Park line (Nunhead-Lewisham) passes directly above Brockley station

Chiltern Main Line (and the Metropolitan) goes through West Hampstead without stopping

St Albans City deserves EMR platforms, although it would remove the 'Express' from the LTN/Corby service

Harrow & Wealdstone's WCML fast line platforms are disused, but there's no case for Avanti to serve it

Pilning/Polesworth ;)

Last edited:
There is already a station called "Oulton Broad South" on the East Suffolk line, so additional platforms on this line at Oulton Broad North would be of minimal value, unlike most of the other suggestions on this thread.
Yeah I know. I was just suggesting that there could be platforms there if they wanted

MarkyT

Established Member
If either of these are ever resignalled they'd likely gain a second platform then.
At Malton, NR replaced the original 55-year-old panel in 2020. That suggests an old relay interlocking with electric points and colour lights. The interlocking might itself be or have been replaced like for like with a newer relay or processsor-based installation. The benefits of moving control to York must have been considered when the panel was renewed. VDU workstations can remotely control older relay interlockings if desired as well as computer types. Maybe the issue is workload. The York station desk may already be at capacity. Adding Malton might overburden the position, especially considering the number of level crossings supervised (evident from the new panel pictured in the article). like Triggers Broom, all parts of the signalling including point motors, signals, equipment cabinets and cables could be or may have been renewed gradually around the existing layout and single platform. The new platform and access could be provided today as the layout would support it. Maybe when the crossover points come up for renewal, that's the time to consider contributing a portion of that PW budget towards a platform scheme to eliminate some or all of the pointwork.

zwk500

Veteran Member
At Malton, NR replaced the original 55-year-old panel in 2020. That suggests an old relay interlocking with electric points and colour lights. The interlocking might itself be or have been replaced like for like with a newer relay or processsor-based installation. The benefits of moving control to York must have been considered when the panel was renewed. VDU workstations can remotely control older relay interlockings if desired as well as computer types. Maybe the issue is workload. The York station desk may already be at capacity. Adding Malton might overburden the position, especially considering the number of level crossings supervised (evident from the new panel pictured in the article). like Triggers Broom, all parts of the signalling including point motors, signals, equipment cabinets and cables could be or may have been renewed gradually around the existing layout and single platform. The new platform and access could be provided today as the layout would support it. Maybe when the crossover points come up for renewal, that's the time to consider contributing a portion of that PW budget towards a platform scheme to eliminate some or all of the pointwork.
That article does say it's specifically a life extension of existing assets, rather than a recontrol or upgrade of the interlocking. The level crossings may well have been a factor in workload, although I'd expect the line from Haxby to Scarborough to all be on the same workstation, rather than Malton be on York Station's area. I agree that when the time comes from a full S&C renewal the platform may get revisited.

Presumably one problem at both locations is that the new platform would need to be accessible, increasing costs and particularly at Malton posing questions about visual sensitivities.

MarkyT

Established Member
That article does say it's specifically a life extension of existing assets, rather than a recontrol or upgrade of the interlocking. The level crossings may well have been a factor in workload, although I'd expect the line from Haxby to Scarborough to all be on the same workstation, rather than Malton be on York Station's area. I agree that when the time comes from a full S&C renewal the platform may get revisited.
The article only mentions the panel project, but other assets in the area may be renewed in the future or may have already been renewed without a wholesale resignalling. The British Power Signalling Register states Malton to be a free wired interlocking dating from 1966, but this may have been rewired to a greater or lesser extent and relays are often replaced - smaller simpler installations like that are often much easier to carry out piecemeal renewals on than the big interlockings of the main lines and major cities. That's why I mentioned the Trigger's Broom phenomenon. I agree an additional workstation covering all of York (exclusive) to Scarborough would appear to make sense but there are other boxes to the east that have also had work carried out in recent years, including Seamer's assumption of the Scarborough station area of control, for which a new free wired interlocking was built in 2010. Seamer is also a modern panel like Malton and controls further remote interlockings along the coast towards Hull. There's an intermediate box too, Weaverthorpe, also with a heap of crossings. There are still three small boxes on the line between Malton and York, of which Strensall forms the Fringe between York's TCB and AB that applies to the rest of the line to Seamer.
Presumably one problem at both locations is that the new platform would need to be accessible, increasing costs and particularly at Malton posing questions about visual sensitivities.
Yes, accessible bridges can be highly visually obtrusive in addition to being costly. An alternative at Malton might be a 'Penryn style' long platform extension with the facing crossover part way along it (either in the existing position or moved a little as shown here:
1714309814564.png

zwk500

Veteran Member
St Albans City deserves EMR platforms, although it would remove the 'Express' from the LTN/Corby service

Harrow & Wealdstone's WCML fast line platforms are disused, but there's no case for Avanti to serve it
For both of these all lines have platforms, so not quite sure where your new platforms are going.
Pilning/Polesworth ;)
Pilning could arguably be resited rather than the old platform reopened. Polesworth should probably just have the money spent on getting the platform back up.

Killingworth

Established Member
Dore and Totley.

Trains also serving Dronfield could call, which would give 2 tph from Sheffield and thus a more useful service.

A 2015 feasibilty study considered that and the new second platform has passive provision for it.

It won't happen. When Dore had 4 platforms there were 4 tracks into Sheffield and that made a big difference to capacity down the Sheaf valley.

However Dore could get a 2 tph service if those EMR services stopped on the Hope Valley route. Previously they crossed with Northern services close to the single track station so Northern stoppers had to be held. Now they can both pass through the station at the same time.

A lot cheaper solution than more new platforms, albeit requiring enduring the Sheffield reversal to get from Dore to Chesterfield.

Farigiraf

No they aren't
Platforms 3 and 4 are disused, although the station map from the NR website may be outdated.
For both of these all lines have platforms, so not quite sure where your new platforms are going.
Even if the platform is already there at SAC, the point is that no EMR trains serve it, despite it being a large enough city to justify it.
That's another discussion though, and I'm pretty sure the Bedford trains use the fast platforms already.
I'd also suggest a platform at Netherfield on the Nottingham-Lincoln line, replacing Carlton (or vice versa) and Shadwell on the LT&S (c2c) line.