• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations which have given their name to a settlement they serve

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbette165

Middleton Junction on the line between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale.

Have any Parkway stations had their name used by the area surrounding the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Llandudno Junction or Crewe?
Crewe is an interesting one, it has come up before on here. Crewe village already existed before the railways came, but it was a couple of miles from the station. The name was 'borrowed' for the area around the station and gradually effectively replaced the old Crewe.

ian1944

On the A72 west of Peebles is a sign to Lyne Station (only), a bit borderline but as there is definitely no station there (it was on the long-closed Caledonian line between Peebles and Symington) the sign must refer to its ghostly identity.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On the A72 west of Peebles is a sign to Lyne Station (only), a bit borderline but as there is definitely no station there (it was on the long-closed Caledonian line between Peebles and Symington) the sign must refer to its ghostly identity.

It does indeed appear so - the station has given rise to a (very small) settlement, and it has kept that name. So small indeed that it isn't named on the OS map!

Hallyne and Lynesmill appear to be nearby (almost non-)places from which I guess the name derives.

Edit: there's also a tiny settlement called Lyne about a kilometre and a half to the north west.

Lyne railway station served the village of Lyne, Scottish Borders, Scotland from 1864 to 1950 on the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway.
History

The station opened on 1 February 1864 by the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway. The goods yard was to the north. A temporary signal box was built in 1906 to accommodate extra traffic for the Royal Highland Show. The station closed in 1950.[1][2]

ian1944

Further to Lyne, the road in question doesn't serve only the ex-station but cuts the corner to the B712 down to the A701 south. The B712 goes through Stobo of spa fame and the hamlet of Drumelzier (silent z), of which it was alleged that the council made sure that the bin lorry and mobile library never came on the same day to avoid too much excitement.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
There must be plenty in London, where a district has taken its name from the Underground (or mainline) station - eg Rayners Lane. The station was named after the road of that name (before the area was so fully built up), but for generations now the whole district around the station has taken on that name.

D6130

Established Member
Eaglescliffe - named erroneously by the Stockton & Darlington Railway after the nearby village of Egglescliffe - is a good example. A wee bit further North, in central Co. Durham, there are settlements called Ferryhill Station, Trimdon Station, Wingate Station....and even Station Town! - all named after stations which have long been closed on lines which, with the exception of Ferryhill, have also all been long closed.

plugwash

Established Member
Crewe is an interesting one, it has come up before on here. Crewe village already existed before the railways came, but it was a couple of miles from the station. The name was 'borrowed' for the area around the station and gradually effectively replaced the old Crewe.
I don't know how true it is, but i remember someone saying similar things on a smaller scale about Bramhall, that the center used to be the area round bramhall park but then it shifted to the area near the station.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There must be plenty in London, where a district has taken its name from the Underground (or mainline) station . . .
Loughborough Junction in South London springs to mind.

In similar vein, Lostock Junction in Greater Manchester and Rainford Junction on Merseyside are both distinct parts of larger settlements of the same name (and marked as such on OS maps), where the railway station has since lost its suffix. Obviously, the districts of Lostock and Rainford preceded construction of the railway, but the parts now named 'Junction' became built up as a result of the station being there.

Triddle

The Ladybank area in Fife was previously called Ladybog, but that wasn't posh enough for Edinburgh and Northern Railway when they built an engine shed and station. The settlement that grew up around the station is called Ladybank.

BrianW

Established Member
There must be plenty in London, where a district has taken its name from the Underground (or mainline) station - eg Rayners Lane. The station was named after the road of that name (before the area was so fully built up), but for generations now the whole district around the station has taken on that name.
Indeed. The next station at South Harrow is in an area formerly known as Roxeth (and maybe still is by the 'right kind of person'?

Also thinking of Bicester Town renamed as Bicester Village to recognise the adjoining 'designer outlet shopping centre' (without apparently a financial contribution)

What's in a name?- quite a lot.

mirodo

Nelson. Took it's name from the nearby pub when the local area was known as Marsden.

Brierfield railway station was originally called Marsden, and Nelson railway station was known as the Nelson Inn station, Great Marsden, after the adjacent public house, the Lord Nelson Inn (named after Admiral Lord Nelson). As the villages developed into a town, the name Nelson was chosen to differentiate it from Marsden across the Pennines in the neighbouring county of Yorkshire (West Riding).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Also thinking of Bicester Town renamed as Bicester Village to recognise the adjoining 'designer outlet shopping centre' (without apparently a financial contribution)

But that’s the complete opposite of what this thread was supposed to be asking about, ie places developing and taking on the name of a station?

Taunton

Established Member
Amused me that when Battersea started its social rise from 1990 onwards, among various estate agent-driven euphemisms for it such as "South Chelsea", there was "Nearest Tube Sloane Square" as a neighbourhood description. Which of course was geographically correct. A bit like saying somewhere in Stevenage is "Nearest Tube Cockfosters".

No longer true nowadays with the Northern Line extension, of course.

johntea

Established Member
Clapham Junction. This one is more of a borderline case. Technically Clapham Junction Station is in Battersea but most Londoners refer to the area around the station as Clapham Junction.

Oddly I've had an issue several times in the past when staying at the Clapham Junction Travelodge and getting a taxi there the drivers have initially taken me to the Battersea Travelodge!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Indeed. The next station at South Harrow is in an area formerly known as Roxeth (and maybe still is by the 'right kind of person'?

Yes - the Roxeth name remains in some street names and (still, I think) in some local parish names [eg a CoE church], and in some ward names. The place where I played as a kid was called Roxeth Recreation Ground - Roxeth Rec.

Though I'm not sure whether the South Harrow name simply replaced it, since much of the built-up area there only dates from the time of the Underground line.

And, as per Bicester, elsewhere in London there's the renaming of Surrey Docks as Surrey Keys, and Canada Docks as Canada Water - where the station names might not have been the cause of the area's name change (iwhich were developer-led) but have been used to reincoforice them.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes - the Roxeth name remains in some street names and (still, I think) in some local parish names [eg a CoE church], and in some ward names. The place where I played as a kid was called Roxeth Recreation Ground - Roxeth Rec.

Though I'm not sure whether the South Harrow name simply replaced it, since much of the built-up area there only dates from the time of the Underground line.

And, as per Bicester, elsewhere in London there's the renaming of Surrey Docks as Surrey Keys, and Canada Docks as Canada Water - where the station names might not have been the cause of the area's name change (iwhich were developer-led) but have been used to reincoforice them.
Quays :D

Brent Cross was renamed from Brent after the shopping centre opened, and to an extent the residential area around it has taken the name, even though Brent Cross station isn't that near the shopping centre

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Woops!!

Brent Cross was renamed from Brent after the shopping centre opened, and to an extent the residential area around it has taken the name, even though Brent Cross station isn't that near the shopping centre

An instance of a borough - Brent - taking its name from one part of the area and leading to conceptual (and geographical) confusion. Like Camden, the borough named after Camden Town - lots of strange conversations round my way [elsewhere in that borough] between tourists and pedantic locals... (Yes, I'm a pedantic local.)

DelW

Established Member
Woking developed similarly. The original village had grown up around St Peter's church about a mile and a half south-east of the new LSWR station. Initially the new settlement on the north side of the station was called "Woking Station" on OS maps, and there was open countryside between it and Woking village as-was. In time that intervening area was built up, the new town based around the station became Woking, and the original village centre became Old Woking.

Mikey C

Established Member
Woops!!

An instance of a borough - Brent - taking its name from one part of the area and leading to conceptual (and geographical) confusion. Like Camden, the borough named after Camden Town - lots of strange conversations round my way [elsewhere in that borough] between tourists and pedantic locals... (Yes, I'm a pedantic local.)
Brent station was a strange choice of name, a station named after an 18 mile long river, and not even a particularly famous or notable one either!

RH Liner

In this neck of the woods, Sutton Junction is an area of Sutton-in-Ashfield named after the former station, which was replaced by Sutton Parkway when the line re-opened. The residential area is still known as Junction though.
Also, Langwith Junction, although joined on to Shirebrook, was a place in its own right and not just the name of the closed station (which became Shirebrook North).

RPI

Established Member
Perranwell Station, is the name of the settlement around Perranwell railway station.

St Columb Road, now the name of the settlement around the station (originally the station was called Halloon)

Ken H

On Moderation
Probably worth looking in N London. The Mertropolitan and the Northern Line were driven into open countryside. The Met unashamedly had an estates department to build homes by the railway on greenfield sites, and have a captive audience for the railway.
Yerkes (who 'built' much of the tube network) reportedly rode out towards Golders Green and decided to terminate what is todays Northern Line there.
Someone who knows that area better than I would maybe like to comment.
We forget how small the built up area of London was back in 1900....

Bevan Price

Established Member
Loughborough Junction in South London springs to mind.

In similar vein, Lostock Junction in Greater Manchester and Rainford Junction on Merseyside are both distinct parts of larger settlements of the same name (and marked as such on OS maps), where the railway station has since lost its suffix. Obviously, the districts of Lostock and Rainford preceded construction of the railway, but the parts now named 'Junction' became built up as a result of the station being there.
And Rainford Junction has lost its "Junction" suffix and is now plain Rainford -- and is about a mile from the main part of Rainford.

So the brick terraces are railway cottages?
I think so yes.

As far as I am aware there aren't any buildings that look like they could pre date the railway. My mum always used to go on about Oxenholme being the station name but Natland being the village it served. We went past it a lot as kids. She was brought up in a house that was built when the canal came and I haven't seen anything that looks like that in the vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.