• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with a suffix where that station is the only station with the town name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara

It's a bit of a funny one is Lambeth North. It's had at least two previous names, Westminster Bridge Road which it is on, and Kennington Road which starts right opposite. Also, Lambeth has two connotations. Firstly, it is the name of the council, whose area it is undoubtedly at the north of - the council stretches right down as far as Streatham. Secondly Lambeth is the name of an area just north of Kennington from which the council gets its name. The underground station is also without doubt at the north end of that area and simply calling it 'Lambeth' would be geographically incorrect. So, it could be argued, that the tube station does not fit the criteria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trog

Established Member
I have often wondered what came first at Junction Road Junction station in North London.

richw

Veteran Member
how about St.Keyne Wishing Well Halt on the liskeard-looe branch line, and also on the same branch, Coombe junction Halt, the station with the lowest passenger numbers in 2009 fo the whole country i believe there was 54 passengers a week using the station!

ert47

Just gunna throw this out there...

City Thameslink

*hopes for the best*

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Did Appleby change its name when the other station, Appleby Midland [?] closed?

Appleby in Westmoreland is the original Midland Railway station. The in Westmoreland bit is nothing to do with rail operations. When Westmoreland County was abolished in ?1975? due to regionalisation and the area was brought into Cumbria (formed from the former Cumberland, Westmoreland, the Furness area of Lancashire (det), & some small parts of Yorkshire eg Sedbergh) the good citizens of Appleby, as it was the former County Town (ie local capital), wished to commemorate the fact of their historic links with Westmoreland and therefore incorporated the former county name into the town name.

The other station in Appleby was (please check as I'm doing this of the top of my head) Appleby NER then Appleby LNER then Appleby East this was situated on the former NER route from Darlington to Penrith.

The current Appleby station started out as Appleby Midland then Appleby LMS then Appleby West then Appleby then Appleby-in-Westmoreland.

Cheers,

REB :)

deltic1989

Established Member
Im just going to throw one out here and hope, Swineshead Bridge, a small unmanned halt between sleaford and boston serving the small village of Swineshead, (Lincolnshire), but as another throw of the dice i could offer Derby Midland as well though not so confident on that one.

Scotty

The actual area the station is in, is called Swineshead Bridge (albeit it is a tiny hamlet). Swineshead is just up the road.

Wyvern

Established Member
On the timetabe yes, but its simply called Lincoln on the station boards

So it counts according to the OP

But Derby Midland which has been mentioned several times doesnt as it only has it on the external sign board,

Last edited:

imagination

Anyone said Didcot Parkway yet?

Unlike most parkway stations it actually is in the town it is named after.

deltic1989

Established Member
The actual area the station is in, is called Swineshead Bridge (albeit it is a tiny hamlet). Swineshead is just up the road.

Ah well worth a try, same with Derby they were both gambles. And after reading the thread again I gracefully retract my statment regarding Lincoln Central. Time to get my thinking cap on again :) ........... Grimsby Town?? another stab in the dark really can you tell im getting desperate? :lol:

Any Permitted

There's the odd situation of Sudbury Hill Harrow and Sudbury & Harrow Road if you take one as Sudbury Hill's only NR station and one as Sudbury's only NR station.

- Northolt Park
- South Merton
- Morden South
- Elmstead Woods
- Mill Hill Broadway
- Dalston Kingsland (before the ELL extension)
- Edmonton Green
- Smallbrook Junction
- Cooden Beach

It's tricky because places like Edmonton Green and Mill Hill Broadway have assimilated their names with the railway station but they're still Edmonton and Mill Hill primarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.