• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with excellent facilities....not provided by the station, but adjacent businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
As a point of order, I must object to any suggestion that a branch of Greggs is an "excellent facility". The coffee is just about passable but everything else is utter trash.
I was going to say the same when I saw some suggested McDonalds.

Crisps

As we seem to be counting supermarkets close to stations as “facilities”, both Bishop Auckland and Darlington North Road stations have historic Morrison’s stores nearby that were both built on former railway land. The North Road branch dates back to 1980 (I believe it was one of the first Morrison’s to open outside Yorkshire) and is built on the site of the Stockton and Darlington Railway’s North Road Works, and still has the original clock from the works attached to the store facing North Road. Bishop Auckland’s Morrison’s is slightly younger, opening in 1987 on the site of the former Durham platforms of the now, much truncated Bishop Auckland station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This rather loose interpretation would also seem to mean that the rather basic East Didsbury railway station can also be considered to be a station with "excellent facilities" simply by virtue of it having a Tesco Superstore in close proximity. :rolleyes:

Alex365Dash

I wonder what station has the closest proximity to a cinema? I think East Didsbury might be in with a chance, assuming Covid hasn't claimed the one at the Parrs Wood Entertainment Centre.
Not the closest (unless you’re going as the crow flies, then it might be), but Portsmouth Harbour has Vue next door to it, although actually getting in requires going round through the Gunwharf Quays entrance on the main road.

Speaking of, Portsmouth Harbour with a closed Pumpkin store doesn’t have much open retail to speak of unless you expand to Gunwharf Quays next door or the Costa in the Wightlink ferry terminal. (Is the ferry terminal part of the station?)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This rather loose interpretation would also seem to mean that the rather basic East Didsbury railway station can also be considered to be a station with "excellent facilities" simply by virtue of it having a Tesco Superstore in close proximity. :rolleyes:

I would probably consider that a bit far away, though I indeed didn't state a distance in the criteria. However directly adjacent "full service"* supermarkets certainly count, as they were in my original suggestion - Windermere being one of the finest. Bache is another one.

* I would not count an Aldi or Lidl as those typically don't have toilets or a cafe.

james60059

Nuneaton:

Asda is just a stone throw away complete with a McDonalds inside, there's a KFC the other side too.

Nuneaton Station hasn't really been the same since Derek and his little coffee shop went though :(

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

I would probably consider that a bit far away, though I indeed didn't state a distance in the criteria. However directly adjacent "full service"* supermarkets certainly count, as they were in my original suggestion - Windermere being one of the finest.
To be fair, the Tesco superstore at East Didsbury is probably nearer to the station than the Morrison's in Hereford is to Hereford station.

Agree your observation as regards the Booths at Windermere. 8-)

InOban

Established Member
Oban being small, everything is close! In particular 'Spoons is next door, on the pier, and Costa is next door on the other side, although there are excellent local cafés as well. And of course there is the famous green seafood shack on the way to your ferry.

And BTW our local Lidl and Aldi both have toilets. I think all recent branches of both do, but not cafés. Indeed the toilets in Lidl are much nicer than in our Tesco.

LancasterRed

Preston has plenty nearby with at least McDonald's having a departure board, everything is seamless. There is also now a sushi restaurant at the station side entrance to the shopping centre which I'm sure most other stations can't boast.

Buckshaw Parkway may as well be named Buckshaw Tesco. From what I'm aware a very good one at that.

Bournemouth has plenty to do in the immediate area, such as coffee shops and a giant store.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Preston has plenty nearby with at least McDonald's having a departure board...

Moot point as to whether McDonald's is an "excellent" facility but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Buckshaw Parkway may as well be named Buckshaw Tesco. From what I'm aware a very good one at that.

As regards Buckshaw Parkway, reckon the Tesco there is actually further away than the equivalent one at East Didsbury.

Hardcastle

Alloa has a Asda next door Broughty Ferry is just off the shopping area. Penrith has a Home Bargains Aldi Morrisons McDonald's & of course the Agriculture pub.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
There's also the Station Cafe pretty much next to Waitrose, which is fine too. Assuming it's still there, it seemed to be doing ok last August when i visited a couple of days.
[NB: referring to Alton] Their breakfast seemed to be very popular with bikers last time I was there. Fortunately it was a nice day so plenty of room to sit outside (nothing against bikers, just there wouldn't have been room inside :)).
Speaking of, Portsmouth Harbour with a closed Pumpkin store doesn’t have much open retail to speak of unless you expand to Gunwharf Quays next door or the Costa in the Wightlink ferry terminal. (Is the ferry terminal part of the station?)
The Costa was takeaway only last month. The ferry terminal was rather cramped too, the usual ferry queuing area was closed off by hoardings with a temporary looking walkway round the outside to board the ferry.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Dundee station too.

I haven't been since the recent redevelopment but Elephant and Castle certainly was another 'New Street-like' station in terms of everything being in a shopping centre surrounding
Redevelopment at Elephant and Castle is at the demolition stage of the existing buildings, so no facilities in the area.

West Ealing is another station adjacent to a Waitrose, albeit further away from each other than they use to be. Firstly Waitrose built a new store on the car park of the previous one, demolishing the original to create a block of flats. Now TfL have built a new station building which is round the corner from the previous one.

Killingworth

Established Member
Edale, the Penny Pot cafe is immediately below the station and has a CIS board above the counter. Good place to stop before walking to Scotland, although some prefer the Rambler on the other side of the station.

20201222_090417.jpg

alangla

I can’t believe no-one has suggested Mount Vernon yet. What more could you want than (I believe) the biggest urban landfill in Europe across the road? You can even try to imagine where 27043 and the DMUs are buried while you wait!

trebor79

Established Member
Peterborough with the large Waitrose a minute's walk away. Pumpkin etc prices but much better quality and a better range than is available on the station. Just annoying that at present they have closed the doors next to the food to go section. Another stupid covid measure that actually means people buying food for their journey have to walk all the way through the entire store and back again. They could easily cordon off the food to go bit from the rest of the shop and have the doors open to help minimise contact whilst keeping control of numbers in the main shop.

Skie

Actually there you go - Liverpool Central - Sainsbury's Local and Costa in the mall straight outside.

And the newlyish opened WH Smith’s, which seems to have adopted the “in a station” rip-off pricing model. £2-3 for a drink vs 80p from Sainsbury’s or Greg’s directly opposite them!

plugwash

Established Member
I would probably consider that a bit far away
East didsbury is a tricky one.

On the one hand the tesco site seems to be directly across the road from the station site.

On the other hand the actual supermarket building and the station entrances (afaict east didsbury doesn't have a footbridge or subway, so you have to exit the station to the road to change platforms) are a fair way back from the road, and the road itself is a major A road junction that can be a pain to cross.

Despite having a rail station, a metrolink station and a load of bus routes the "east didsbury" complex feels a very car-focused place with each facility having it's own car park, and a major road junction in the middle making it awkward for pedestrians to move from one facility to another.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
The tearoom on the platform of Rannoch station is very good and not run by ScotRail, Network Rail, etc. Not sure it can count as an 'adjacent business' as it is within the station building, but can recommend if you find yourself up there with time to kill. Miles ahead of the 'Pumpkin'(?) cafe in Stirling station that always seemed to drain my wallet for very little reward when I was a student.

D6130

Established Member
.....and, talking of the West Highland Line, the wonderful cafe/restaurant/air b'n'b at the even more remote Corrour station is more than worthy of a mention.

matchmaker

Established Member
I can’t believe no-one has suggested Mount Vernon yet. What more could you want than (I believe) the biggest urban landfill in Europe across the road? You can even try to imagine where 27043 and the DMUs are buried while you wait!
It rejoices in the delightful name of Greenoakhill. Reality does not match the name! Anyway, Stirling must be in with a good shout. The station is in the centre of the city, beside the bus station. There are several eateries nearby, and the Thistles Shopping Centre is only a couple of minutes walk.

Last edited:

stuart100100

As a point of order, I must object to any suggestion that a branch of Greggs is an "excellent facility". The coffee is just about passable but everything else is utter trash.
My 'go to' place for breakfast when I'm out and about for a sausage, bacon and omelette barm (or bap, cob etc depending on where you're from :lol:)

D6975

Established Member
My 'go to' place for breakfast when I'm out and about for a sausage, bacon and omelette barm (or bap, cob etc depending on where you're from :lol:)
Seconded - the pasties are rubbish but their various brekky options are very good.

Factotum

.....and, talking of the West Highland Line, the wonderful cafe/restaurant/air b'n'b at the even more remote Corrour station is more than worthy of a mention.
Twenty odd years ago the owner of that station told me a rather amusing anecdote.
A Tax Inspector arrived at the station on the last train intent of seeing the books.
After a satisfactory discussion the Inspector asked the owner to ring for a taxi to take him back to Crianlarich ....

Status
Not open for further replies.