• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with little service when there is service disruption...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

Over the past weekend, I decided to use a 4 of 8 day Freedom of the North West Rover either side of the fantastic BLS Railtour. This is quite long, so sorry in advance.

On Monday, I decided to visit Salwick on the Preston-Blackpool line. It receives about 3 trains in each direction and has no Sunday service. I identified a 40 minute fester by catching a train from Blackpool late evening around 5PM and catching the last train towards Blackpool at 18:01 (a 40 gap to take photos and relax in the middle of nowhere). I checked on the 18:01 service beforehand and RTT showed it 'at platform' in Manchester way before departure time; a good sign. On checking again at Salwick (I had phone issues) it turned out it departed Manchester 22 down and lost even more time along the way. It got caped at Preston for passengers to board the following service to Blackpool not too far behind (one that does not call at Salwick!). A quick call to Northern (after Twitter got no quick response) and asking if a Special Stop Order could be arranged, a train finally stopped at 19:45 to take me onwards to civilization. I must commend Northern customer service in doing this and keeping me updated on events. Top marks :)

On Tuesday, I was in the Burscough area and noticed I could travel to Hoscar with a reasonable 20 minute wait. This station receives about 1 train every 3 hours in each direction. Again, I checked RTT and noticed the return train was running late. When I got off at Hoscar, I asked the guard if trains skip-stop when running late and was told 'no'. This didn't then help when the service was cancelled at Wigan Wallgate!! Now, the situation today was a little different. It was HOT! VERY HOT. I had a full bag with me as I was returning back to London later on. A call to Northern and again, I asked if a Special Stop Order could be arranged. The guy I was talking to was very understanding and told me upfront this probably wont be possible as there were other trains- albeit 3 hours wait. Just as he was updating me, the call got dropped. I called back and got a different person who was aware of the situation (same call centre and overhead Hoscar).

This person was not so understanding. I asked if he could take my mobile number down in case of disconnection again, but was only interested in taking my name to create a reference number. He looked on a map and said it's only a mile 'as the crow flies' to Burscough and I should probably walk it there, as Northern were not going to compensate me to take a taxi when I asked. Google maps showed it at 1.9 miles to Burscough Junction, and having walked from Burscough Junction to Burscough Bridge earlier, that's at least another 0.5 mile! I explained it's too hot to walk that far and I have a heavy bag. No dice. At this point, I was 80-90 minutes into the 3 hour wait, so decided to wait it out and hope a train in either direction would stop. Waiting in the shelter out of the sun, a train sounded it's horn (Network Rail were working up the line), and I thought nothing of it. Next minute, the train stops and picks me up! (I'm guessing the first person I spoke with took the time to arrange something, which I am very grateful for). It was running 20+ late, but also stopped at the other two shacks that receive little service on the way to Southport. This caused the return journey (the one train every 3 hours that is meant to stop at these stations) to run fast to Wigan Wallgate!! Oh, I mentioned I travelled the country trying to visit all the stations to the second guy and was told it was probably best to not visit the stations that have little service (or words to that effect)!

Surely there needs to be some failsafe for stations with such infrequent service. I can only imagine what would happen to an elderly passenger with no mobile in such a situation. Services that stop should be given a special headcode and if cancelled, signallers can see that and arrange for the next available service that can stop without disruption to do so?

Sorry again to make this so long. Just coincidental that I had this happen twice in two days, which severely messed up my plans. On that note, how does delay repay work for rover tickets?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hoscar, New Lane and Bescar Lane are odd stations, they really serve very little at all, New Lane in particular is very close to Burscough. From Hoscar I'm surprised he didn't suggest you to walk to Parbold, though, it's a fair bit nearer.

The service isn't quite as bad as you suggest for most of the day, though - it receives (as I thought it did) an approximately two hourly service at even:07, though you get a large gap because instead of 1407 it has 1507. I'm not quite sure why this is, but I wonder if it might have something to do with school traffic (though it seems a *bit* early for that as most local schools in the area finish at 1525 or 1530). There's another gap where it gets 1907 instead of 1807. Southport bound there is a similar odd pattern.

New Lane and Bescar Lane seem to get the same trains, which strikes me as quite odd - if I was designing that timetable I'd alternate the slower of the 2tph (the Victoria one, I imagine, classically was) between Hoscar and New Lane/Bescar Lane which would allow the Takt to be more consistent. As it is you get xx24 semifast (which I suspect is the one that will go to Picc in future) and either xx47 or xx52 depending on whether it does the stops or not.

gazr

I think it was Bescar Lane that I noticed new housing being built next to the station, so this station may have a future. The other two really serve no purpose and should probably have their service reduced to a token 1 a day in each direction. No so sure on Salwick, but have to say it's VERY windswept and I wouldn't want to be there in Winter. It has a new bridge for the electrification and a great big brand new accessible ramp put in! The day that sees use by someone who needs it with be a rare day indeed I imagine. Think they could have gotten away with making this station 1 platform and having people double-back via Kirkham if they really wanted to use it, thus re-aligning the running lines and doing away with the island.

AMD

It's going off topic but New Lane gets as many passengers as Bescar Lane.

Back on topic - Corrour has no service in the event of disruption as there is no road access.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Services that stop should be given a special headcode and if cancelled, signallers can see that and arrange for the next available service that can stop without disruption to do so?
Arranging special stops is nothing to do with the signaller, that’s what Control is for.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It can be very difficult to get Northern to organise additional stops. I've had the last stopping train be cancelled before, and rather than subsequent trains making additional stops, to cover, they had everybody wait around for road transport, resulting in a delay of more than 2 hours on some occasions. The subsequent trains ran fast, as booked.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's going off topic but New Lane gets as many passengers as Bescar Lane.

I think New Lane is a destination of convenience, the reason being that Northern's evening peak restrictions apply only as far as Burscough Bridge. This would account for the doubling of passengers in the year said restrictions were introduced. Without break of journey restrictions there is little Northern can do to stop people purchasing a ticket to New Lane and ending their journey earlier (or vice versa, done online rather than arguing with the guard, though I bet *some* guards offer it).

Why this has dropped back (halved since last year) I'm not quite sure, as this is still the case. Perhaps a change in calculation of some form.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Reminds of a few years ago when I got a special stop order put in for British Steel Redcar, back when it only got one train each way a day.

Or a few weeks ago getting a special stop order put in on a Southport - Leeds service when the Pacers working the Blackburn stopper went pop just outside Southport.:lol:

(Nobody else was at New Lane/Hoscar but there was someone else boarding at Bescar Lane). Salwick used to serve a nearby factory, although I didn't get the chance to explore the area as when I visited it was on a +4

Status
Not open for further replies.