• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with other TOC's signs/branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Just wondered why stations managed by a TOC allow other TOC's branding on signs etc?

To give a couple of examples.

Peckham Rye - Southeastern platform signs on the platforms which serve SET destinations. Station is managed by Southern.

Clapham Junction - London Overground branding, including direction signs and orange handrails going onto their platforms. Southern branding on their served platforms. Station managed by South West Trains.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At a first thought, Clapham Junction (CJ) is an example of a station where under normal circumstances, (ie outside of diversions for engineering works or random failures), the three TOCs will never usually appear on each others platforms.

Otherwise, there seems no straightforward rule that is generally applied. Look at Richmond for a counter example, where all the platforms are marked up as SWT, even the Underground, let alone the Overground...

bicbasher

Established Member
I think in the case of Clapham Junction, each TOC has staff on their own administered platforms.

Is Stratford a dual TOC managed station, as I've seen GA branding and staff on their platforms or the same as Clapham Junction where a lead operator manages the station?

SS4

Established Member
What about stations that only receive XC services but are managed by another TOC (like CEH)

wintonian

Established Member
I was going to say at Clapham Junction there is even Southern staff there, but when you think about the logistics of the station in reality it is quite reasonable, indeed not having Southern staff there could cause minor issues particularly with passenger queries.

mister-sparky

Clapham Junction is effectively run as 3 separate stations by the 3 TOCs anyways. Hence the different brandings on their relevant platforms.

barrykas

Established Member
Is Stratford a dual TOC managed station, as I've seen GA branding and staff on their platforms or the same as Clapham Junction where a lead operator manages the station?

Stratford transferred to LU management with the opening of the Jubilee Line Extension in 1999, though Greater Anglia (obviously) still have a presence and ticket office there.

Rather logical when you think that 12 platforms are served by TfL services (Central Line, DLR, London Overground and Jubilee Line) with just 7 served by National Rail (Greater Anglia and occasional c2c services).

Cheers,

Barry

atomicdanny

Peckham Rye - Southeastern platform signs on the platforms which serve SET destinations. Station is managed by Southern.

Really, last time i was there those platforms were in southern colours for platforms 3 and 4? (as shown in the picture below - Southern Green rather than Southeastern Blue / Purple!

Attachments

• peckham.jpg
    peckham.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 48

bicbasher

Established Member
Really, last time i was there those platforms were in southern colours for platforms 3 and 4? (as shown in the picture below - Southern Green rather than Southeastern Blue / Purple!

I must be going colour blind! When I last looked at this video taken in December from a 378 at Peckham Rye, I thought the signs on the Southeastern platforms had changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jZb8-gW2c

Electrostar

The last time I went to Stratford the Overground signs were in the conventional National Rail style rather than the larger, LU-style enamel plates with station name inside the roundel crossbar that has become more associated with LO.

I'm sure for many years Streatham was a Southern station but had more Thameslink services stopping there. Not sure if this is still the case.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just wondered why stations managed by a TOC allow other TOC's branding on signs etc?

To give a couple of examples.

Clapham Junction - London Overground branding, including direction signs and orange handrails going onto their platforms. Southern branding on their served platforms. Station managed by South West Trains.

Clapham Junction - the orange handrails are SWT - they are also present at other platforms. Also, I'm sure the Overground platforms have standard SWT dark blue nameboards?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Carlisle looks to be in Arriva train wales livery! Certainly not Virgin!
Alsager, Kidsgrove and Longport dont look to be in EMT livery either

NSEFAN

Established Member
Dean and Mottisfont & Dunbridge stations have First Great Western branding, even though FGW haven't called at these stations for several years.

Why these stations haven't been passed to SWT I don't know.

wintonian

Established Member
Dean and Mottisfont & Dunbridge stations have First Great Western branding, even though FGW haven't called at these stations for several years.

Why these stations haven't been passed to SWT I don't know.

Possibly because the maintenance and staffing requirements are such that nobody's been bothered to look at it, rest assured though as soon as the platforms need resurfacing SWT will find themselves with an extra couple of stations.

I might be wrong though.

Ok I'll include Ryde Pier Head even though it most likely doesn't count. Managed by Wightlink but with Island Line branding on the platforms.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Possibly because the maintenance and staffing requirements are such that nobody's been bothered to look at it, rest assured though as soon as the platforms need resurfacing SWT will find themselves with an extra couple of stations...

The transfer to SWT is planned for the next GW franchise start date, as per the ITT. I did ask SWT about this a couple of years ago though, and they seemed ambivalent about taking the stations on. Although they're unstaffed there's still possibly a few costly changes behind the scenes, such as transferring the PIS and announcement systems from FGW's system to SWT's?

I'd have thought there was a reasonable case for transferring Romsey as well - as it's a bit of an outpost for FGW regarding staffing?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Clapham Junction - the orange handrails are SWT - they are also present at other platforms. Also, I'm sure the Overground platforms have standard SWT dark blue nameboards?

I believe that's a pretty recent change (ie within just a few weeks) to adopt SWT's current style on P1 and P2. Previously the station name boards on what was P2 definitely used the TfL style with Orange strip.

Anyone know if the SN platforms have changed in the same way, as if they have it makes some of the earlier comments in this thread out of date...

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
I agree with you on Romsey, what with the figure of 6 service these days and when the other 2 are moved over it will create an area of isolation which isn't particularly logical, add in the fact that FGW perhaps understandably seem to have neglected the station over the last few years, it all makes good sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.