• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with platforms that have been renumbered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magdalia

Established Member
Hitchin was renumbered in the late-80s / early-90s. Previously platform 1 was the Down Slow, and is where the entrance is located. Now platform 1 is the Up Slow, and platform 2 is the Down Slow. The two platforms swapped numbers as I think there was an intention on that part of the ECML to number the platforms consistently at all stations with platform 1 on the Up Slow side, and then number them upwards from there.
This was rumoured to be a Chris Green thing at the start of Network SouthEast. Welwyn Garden City was also renumbered, but not St Neots.

And I think York has not had a mention yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Reading isn’t really the type of project the OP was asking about, he’s asking for examples where they renumbered even though there was no real advantage to doing so, ie ‘the benefits were very small’.

By any normal reckoning Reading had so many changes it had to be renumbered.
Fair comment, I was thinking that it *could* have been done by renumbering 6 and upwards and keeping 1 - 5 much the same except for adding a 4c. But I agree that wouldn't have made much sense when so much else was being changed.

Veteran Member
Many years ago (1959) Bromley South was renumbered from North to South (L to R from the station building on the overbridge) to S to N, bringing it into line with Shortlands and Bickley for consistency.
To be fair, at the same time the running lines were completely reorganised, so the "fast train" platforms remained 3 Up and 2 Down and only the "stoppers" changed.
(After 60 years, I've only just realised it was cleverer than I thought!)

YorksLad12

Established Member
Kings Cross was renumbered in the 1970s. Prior to that, there had not been a platform 3 or 9 for many years. (3 had originally been a bay let into 2, but later abolished to extend platform 2: 9 had been a siding between platform roads 2 and 10) Platforms 4-8 were renumbered 3 to 7, and platforms 10-17 renumbered 8-15. (11-15 have since been abolished, and platform 0 added, to give the current platforms 0-10)

And indeed the current platform 10 at Kings Cross was platform 11 before the recent remodelling. I wonder if anyone's added 9 3/4 signs on the abandoned former platform 10? :lol:
This map shows that Kings Cross used to be numbered the other way around. I don't know when or why it changed, and I don't know where I found the map either - perhaps a forumite or two could answer both questions?

Attachments

• KX2 copy.jpg
    KX2 copy.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 66

D6130

Established Member
When I transferred to Skipton in 1991 the two main line through platforms - now 2 & 3 - were numbered 1 & 2 from the station building side. Upon remodelling for electrification in 1994, the Up bay and Down Slow platforms were reinstated and took their original numbers (1 & 4 respectively) and the main through platforms were re-numbered accordingly.

BeijingDave

Reading isn’t really the type of project the OP was asking about, he’s asking for examples where they renumbered even though there was no real advantage to doing so, ie ‘the benefits were very small’.

By any normal reckoning Reading had so many changes it had to be renumbered.

Yes, I was sort of more interested in the seemingly pointless ones, that at best 'tidy things up' and at worst could be considered work for its own sake.

Southsider

Glasgow Central was originally numbered from right to left but was changed when it was expanded to the west. There was further renumbering when the car park was changed into platforms.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
This map shows that Kings Cross used to be numbered the other way around. I don't know when or why it changed, and I don't know where I found the map either - perhaps a forumite or two could answer both questions?
Alan Jackson's book "London Termini" suggests the date of the map to be between 1893, when the platforms shown on that map as 2 and 3 (now 5 and 4 respectively) were built, and 1895 when a new island platform was added on the suburban side (what is now platform 10). The suburban platforms were then numbered A to E from west to east: B being the one leading from the Hotel Curve (later No 16) and E being what is now platform 9.

His book includes a 1905 map in which the arrival (east) side platforms (3 to 6 on the earlier map) have been renumbered from east to west, 1 to 5. Platform 4 was the only one to keep its old number, but the bay platform let into platform 4 now had its own number (3). The two departure side platforms (now 5 and 8) were still numbered 1 and 2, from west to east, duplicating two of the numbers on the arrival side.

Jackson says that this numbering anomaly continued until 1921, when the departure side and suburban platforms were renumbered consecutively with the arrival side ones, but leaving gaps in preparation for further expansion, becoming Nos 6, 10-13, 16 and 17.
Two extra suburban platforms (14 and 15) were built in 1924 on the former loco yard, which had been relocated to the famous "gasworks" site as the old yard was too small to accomodate the Gresley Pacifics (not that the new site was exactly roomy!), and platforms 7 and 8 (now 6 and 7) were created in 1926 by building over sidings in the departure side of the station.
Bay platform 3 was abolished in 1934, and platform 8 was widened in 1938 by abolishing No 9 siding.
The resignalling in 1972 led to all the platforms except Nos 1 and 2 being renumbered to close the gaps left by the abolition of No 3 and the never-did-exist No 9, resulting in most of the main line platforms (4-8) having 1 substracted from their numbers, and Platforms 10 to 17 having 2 subtracted. However, five of the suburban side platforms had a very short existence with their new numbers 11-15, as they were abolished in 1976 following the diversion of local services via the Northern City Line to Moorgate

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Newport (South Wales) has been renumbered several times. It's a bit complicated to explain here, so this is a link to the advice currently provided by Mr W Pedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_railway_station. Suffice to say, though, that the current numbers (1 to 4 from the main entrance) are completely different from what they were previously.

Taunton

Established Member
Taunton was renumbered in the 1980s WofE resignalling, to no obvious reason as the overall station platform structures are unchanged, just some don't have tracks any more, and the 'left-to-right' sequence was retained, just what used to be 1 to 9 became 1 to 6, missing out the now trackless bays. So the four principal through platforms, which were 1, 5, 6 and 7, became 2, 3, 4 and 5.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Although Cardiff Central has had two platforms added (nos. 0 and 8) and one removed (no. 5, which was a bay between the west end of numbers 3 & 4), there hasn't, as far as I know, been a general renumbering of the platforms. If there was, I guess that number 0 would become number 1, numbers 1 to 4 would become numbers 2 to 5, and numbers 6 to 8 wouldn't change.

MarkyT

Established Member
Taunton was renumbered in the 1980s WofE resignalling, to no obvious reason as the overall station platform structures are unchanged, just some don't have tracks any more, and the 'left-to-right' sequence was retained, just what used to be 1 to 9 became 1 to 6, missing out the now trackless bays. So the four principal through platforms, which were 1, 5, 6 and 7, became 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Carried out at time of major resignalling, so logical again. Lucky they didn't omit the middle island numbers on the up and down mains in the sequence as it wasn't normally open to passengers at the time, although could be utilised in an emergency (appalling stepping gap I recall as the mains were aligned for high through speed with no regard for passenger convenience or safety!). Access via subway was possible but there were no facilities on the platform ISTR and all buildings had been removed in the 1970s. It was properly reinstated in 2000 with further access improvements in 2007.

Railsigns

Established Member
The following two-platform stations have all had their platform numbers swapped in recent years, which could be seen as pointless:
Carstairs
Ardlui
Lairg

JamesT

Established Member
Oxford's through platforms had been 1 and 2, probably since the station opened in 1850. Now they are 3 and 4 with the Up side bays being 1 and 2.
But that does bring a benefit as the platforms are now numbered in a single direction and a new platform 5 will be the other face of an island with 4.

GB71

I believe Bletchley was renumbered from platforms 3 - 8 to platforms 1 - 6. Not sure when this occurred - I believe the "original" platforms 1 & 2 were used for Oxford bound services but happy to be corrected. I recall in the 1980's pre Milton Keynes Central that InterCity services used platforms 3 & 4 which as a kid struck me as very strange that there was no platforms 1 & 2

ls2270

Established Member
(Mentioned on another thread, but relevant here). Woking was renumbered twice within what seemed like a fairly small number of years. The first renumbering (mid/late 1980s?) reduced all the platform numbers by 1, so 1 became the up slow rather than the long-vanished bay. The second (1990-somethng?) resulted from the construction of the new bay platform between the up and down fast lines at the London end of the station -- that became 3, so while the up platforms didn't change, the down ones reverted to their original numbers.
The bay platform (3) was added in approximately 1997 to 1998 when the area was resignalled, resulting as you correctly sat in the former platforms 3 to 5 becoming 4 to 6

jfollows

Established Member
I believe Bletchley was renumbered from platforms 3 - 8 to platforms 1 - 6. Not sure when this occurred - I believe the "original" platforms 1 & 2 were used for Oxford bound services but happy to be corrected. I recall in the 1980's pre Milton Keynes Central that InterCity services used platforms 3 & 4 which as a kid struck me as very strange that there was no platforms 1 & 2
You're right - Bletchley was platform 3 (down fast) to 8 (up branch) after the 1966 electrification, I have an early diagram which shows this.
EDIT Shows also 3-8 in 1990 Quail map 4, first edition, but as 1-6 in the second edition, 2005.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is it possible the original 1 & 2 were the still-visible north-facing bay (parcels?) platforms, as Nos. 1 and 2 Roads, but not signed publicly?

oglord

Newport (South Wales) has been renumbered several times. It's a bit complicated to explain here, so this is a link to the advice currently provided by Mr W Pedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_railway_station. Suffice to say, though, that the current numbers (1 to 4 from the main entrance) are completely different from what they were previously.
The odd thing is that the order of platforms at High Street was flipped twice! Platform 1 became Platform 6 in 1961 with resignalling and then Platform 1 again. Platform 5 remained Platform 5 in 1961 but is now Platform 2. Platform 8 became Platform 1 in 1961 but is now Platform 4. Clear? The second renumbering did not coincide with any resignalling, but when it was resignalled in the 21st century the numbers stayed the same.

Falcon1200

Established Member
But that does bring a benefit as the platforms are now numbered in a single direction and a new platform 5 will be the other face of an island with 4.

Indeed; Although as a traditionalist and user of Oxford station since 1971 I am still coming to terms with the new numbers, they are logical!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The odd thing is that the order of platforms at High Street was flipped twice! Platform 1 became Platform 6 in 1961 with resignalling and then Platform 1 again. Platform 5 remained Platform 5 in 1961 but is now Platform 2. Platform 8 became Platform 1 in 1961 but is now Platform 4. Clear? The second renumbering did not coincide with any resignalling, but when it was resignalled in the 21st century the numbers stayed the same.
Thanks - I'm glad that you tried to explain it!!

xotGD

Established Member
Newcastle Central was renumbered after 6 platforms were considered redundant following the Metro completion. I guess it would have worked ok with platforms numbered from 7 upwards, but most people would have thought it rather odd.
Newcastle worked fine with 7 upwards. It was the addition of four extra platforms (the current 5 - 8) that instigated the renumbering.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Waterloo was renumbered when new platforms 12 and 13 were created in lieu of the previous cab road and parcel docks.

plugwash

Established Member
Matlock station has two platforms, the former "UP" platform is used by national rail services and is now numbered 1, while the former "Down" platform is used by peak real services, iirc no platform number is visible on the down platform, though peak rail's website reffers to it as platform 2.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure I remember reading that the original numbering was the reverse of this.

Rob F

Nottingham was partially renumbered on remodelling. Platform 4 became a long west facing bay and the far end of 4 became 5, built out to meet the only remaining through line. Then 5 became 6 and 6 became 7.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Alan Jackson's book "London Termini" suggests the date of the map to be between 1893, when the platforms shown on that map as 2 and 3 (now 5 and 4 respectively) were built, and 1895 when a new island platform was added on the suburban side (what is now platform 10). The suburban platforms were then numbered A to E from west to east: B being the one leading from the Hotel Curve (later No 16) and E being what is now platform 9.

His book includes a 1905 map in which the arrival (east) side platforms (3 to 6 on the earlier map) have been renumbered from east to west, 1 to 5. Platform 4 was the only one to keep its old number, but the bay platform let into platform 4 now had its own number (3). The two departure side platforms (now 5 and 8) were still numbered 1 and 2, from west to east, duplicating two of the numbers on the arrival side.

Jackson says that this numbering anomaly continued until 1921, when the departure side and suburban platforms were renumbered consecutively with the arrival side ones, but leaving gaps in preparation for further expansion, becoming Nos 6, 10-13, 16 and 17.
Two extra suburban platforms (14 and 15) were built in 1924 on the former loco yard, which had been relocated to the famous "gasworks" site as the old yard was too small to accomodate the Gresley Pacifics (not that the new site was exactly roomy!), and platforms 7 and 8 (now 6 and 7) were created in 1926 by building over sidings in the departure side of the station.
Bay platform 3 was abolished in 1934, and platform 8 was widened in 1938 by abolishing No 9 siding.
The resignalling in 1972 led to all the platforms except Nos 1 and 2 being renumbered to close the gaps left by the abolition of No 3 and the never-did-exist No 9, resulting in most of the main line platforms (4-8) having 1 substracted from their numbers, and Platforms 10 to 17 having 2 subtracted. However, five of the suburban side platforms had a very short existence with their new numbers 11-15, as they were abolished in 1976 following the diversion of local services via the Northern City Line to Moorgate
Very interesting - thanks!

In the time it's taken Google to build their new place we could have had the higher-numbered platforms reinstated as bays for the locals... 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.