• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations within m25 that dont accept oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

Apart from Denham and Denham golf club,are there any other railway stations within the m25 that do not accept oyster / contactless forms of payment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sharpley

Ashford (Surrey) and Staines are outside the Oyster zones but within the M25

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Staines
Ashford (Middlesex)
Chertsey
Addlestone
Shepperton
Upper Halliford
Esher
Hersham
Walton-on-Thames
Weybridge
Byfleet & New Haw
Hinchley Wood to Cobham (inclusive)

Kempton Rark
Sunbury
Woldingham.
Interesting that so many are SWR.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not really that odd, given that the M25 isn’t an administrative boundary for any known purposes...
Though it's a reasonable indication of whether or not somewhere is in the sort of "London" region, and it would seem logical (too logical for the rail industry!) to simply say that Oyster is accepted at all stations within the M25.

Railcar

Although Epsom station now accepts Oyster, the Freedom Pass boundary was not changed so a ticket from Ewell East or Ewell West to Epsom is still required. This despite the two 'racecourse' stations on separate branches (Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner) being a mile or more to the south, yet still within the M25.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Though it's a reasonable indication of whether or not somewhere is in the sort of "London" region, and it would seem logical (too logical for the rail industry!) to simply say that Oyster is accepted at all stations within the M25.

"Inside the M25" is a well-recognised geographic region.

Even more remarkable when, technically, the M25 isn't a circle.... :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Although Epsom station now accepts Oyster, the Freedom Pass boundary was not changed so a ticket from Ewell East or Ewell West to Epsom is still required. This despite the two 'racecourse' stations on separate branches (Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner) being a mile or more to the south, yet still within the M25.
You’d need to change Epsom to be in a London Borough to extend the Freedom Pass surely?

PeterC

Established Member
Maybe because the M25 is well into Surrey at that point, the M25 isn't the border for London :rolleyes:
While TfL services extend beyond the M25 in several places. I get pretty hacked off with friends from London getting smug about how they can visit me for nothing with their Freedom or 60+ Passes while I have to pay in the reverse direction.

Hophead

Established Member
Knockholt?

The station is in zone 6. The Greater London (Bromley) / Kent border runs slightly to the south of the station (indeed it follows the railway for a couple of hundred metres towards Sevenoaks)

Railcar

You’d need to change Epsom to be in a London Borough to extend the Freedom Pass surely?
Epsom Downs station is in the Borough of Epsom and Ewell, no Tfl trains call, yet is in the Freedom Pass area. The Tattenham Corner line is the same, plus it also passes through Reigate & Banstead.
Other examples of National Rail stations without TfL presence but in the Freedom Pass area include Upper Warlingham, Whyteleafe, Whiteleafe South and Caterham.
The Freedom Pass area seems to be simply what TfL decide it will be.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

The decision to extend Zone 6 to the end of the Epsom Downs, Tattenham Corner and Caterham branches (which of necessity also included Upper Warlingham because it is 'across the road' from Whyteleafe) was made in the early 2000s and reflects the fact that there is little point running trains to the end of these lines which are empty beyond the London boundary with lots of passengers railheading to the last stations inside the London boundary.

It isn't just a case of TfL deciding that the freedom pass should be available at those stations on a whim.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Epsom Downs station is in the Borough of Epsom and Ewell, no Tfl trains call, yet is in the Freedom Pass area. The Tattenham Corner line is the same, plus it also passes through Reigate & Banstead.
Other examples of National Rail stations without TfL presence but in the Freedom Pass area include Upper Warlingham, Whyteleafe, Whiteleafe South and Caterham.
You don’t need “TfL trains” to call for a station to be in the Freedom Pass area, that’s quite an unnecessary point.

James H

And it's worth noting that the Freedom Pass is not a TfL-owned and managed product in any case.

It is funded and administered by London Councils (the boroughs working together) as successors to the GLC.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
While TfL services extend beyond the M25 in several places. I get pretty hacked off with friends from London getting smug about how they can visit me for nothing with their Freedom or 60+ Passes while I have to pay in the reverse direction.

I have relations who live a couple of hundred yards from Stoneleigh station, but as they live in Epsom borough they don't get the Old Codgers' Oyster card, although Stoneleigh station is in the London Oyster area (Zone 5). I live in a London borough, so I use my Old Codgers' Oyster Card when I visit them, which narks them a little.

I notice that on the TFL map, Epsom station is in a peculiar little unnumbered zone of its own within the 'pay as you go' area, as are some other stations on the northern and eastern borders of the map. What does that represent?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have relations who live a couple of hundred yards from Stoneleigh station, but as they live in Epsom borough they don't get the Old Codgers' Oyster card, although Stoneleigh station is in the London Oyster area (Zone 5). I live in a London borough, so I use my Old Codgers' Oyster Card when I visit them, which narks them a little.

I notice that on the TFL map, Epsom station is in a peculiar little unnumbered zone of its own within the 'pay as you go' area, as are some other stations on the northern and eastern borders of the map. What does that represent?
That Oyster and contactless is accepted but that it is not in a numbered Zone. Except that Zone 8 Travelcards can still be used to travel to and from Epsom, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.