• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Loco Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evening, a few years ago I travelled on the mainline with some Steam Dream railtours using a loco called STD 5, does anyone know what has happened to this loco, I think it may have gone to the Watercress Line with a plan for overall anf return to main line working. It certainly was a great loco to travel with. Like wise I went on a couple of main line rail tours with 850 Lord Nelson that had recently returned to mainline working, but that seems to have disapeared as has Green Arrow. Just curious. Rgds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

73096 (Standard Class 5) is awaiting overhaul at the Mid Hants. I'm not sure when it will reappear or if it will go main line again.
850 was at Eastleigh the last I heard of it.
Try Google; you may be able to find out the current state of play.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Lord Nelson is back in service at the Mid-Hants, but it's not currently main line ticketed, I think. This is a reasonably up to date list of MHR locos.

GearJammer

I can't ever see 73096 steaming at the Mid-Hants again, does it not belong to John Bunch, who also owns i believe (please feel free to correct me) 34016 'Bodmin' and others, im sure i read somewhere that due to the falling out between the MHR and JB he will move his locos away from the line when the agreement expires, hence why the MHR has invested in its own fleet of locos such as 35005 and the black 5, its so they are'nt dependant on other peoples steam locos to provide them with traction.

IF 73096.... and 34016 do leave the MHR and move elsewhere and are managed by John Bunch i would'nt be in the least bit surprised to see them both overhauled and returned to the mainline, they were both good performers, especially 73096.

If anyone does know exactly whats happening with John Bunch's locos regards the leaving the MHR, id be interested to hear.

hughesfowler

73096 has been purcahsed by wcrc at Carnfortrh afaik and is to be restored to main line running.

curb

73096 has been purcahsed by wcrc at Carnfortrh afaik and is to be restored to main line running.

According to wikipedia there are 5 'black 5' loco's certified for mainline use, West Coast's 73096 has recently been fitted with gsm-r cab radio to keep it's certification up to date.

GearJammer

According to wikipedia there are 5 'black 5' loco's certified for mainline use, West Coast's 73096 has recently been fitted with gsm-r cab radio to keep it's certification up to date.

73096 has'nt changed owners as far as im aware, as far as i know its still at the MHR, i think someone could be getting there 'Standard 5s' muddled up with there 'Black 5s'.

curb

73096 has'nt changed owners as far as im aware, as far as i know its still at the MHR, i think someone could be getting there 'Standard 5s' muddled up with there 'Black 5s'.

Oops, got that wrong, not a good start is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.