• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam to South Hampshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S2929

Apologies for duplicate post)
Hello
There is another Flying Scotsman : London, Reading, Salisbury, back via Southampton,Winchester, via Basingstoke to Reading and London on Wed 21st June 2023
I'm desperately trying to find the times of the return part (Basingstoke to Reading) but struggling to find it anywhere or to decode realtimetrains entries
Estimate 18:00-19:00 +/- 1 hour
If anyone could help I would be most greatful
I just missed it the last two times (last autumn)

ajs

As far as l can see the times for Wednesday trip to Salisbury have not yet been made public.

After the recent flurry, I think the next steam presence is for the Goodwood Revival charter, usually operated by Steam Dreams.
That’s the one on Sunday 10 September and should be hauled by Britania

ajs

Apologies for duplicate post)
Hello
There is another Flying Scotsman : London, Reading, Salisbury, back via Southampton,Winchester, via Basingstoke to Reading and London on Wed 21st June 2023
I'm desperately trying to find the times of the return part (Basingstoke to Reading) but struggling to find it anywhere or to decode realtimetrains entries
Estimate 18:00-19:00 +/- 1 hour
If anyone could help I would be most greatful
I just missed it the last two times (last autumn)
Details now on Real Train Times
Details now published

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
It's stretching "steam to Portsmouth" a little; but I couldn't resist incliding this morning's sailing of the world's last seaworthy paddle steamer, "Waverley".

Built in 1946, she looked and sounded fabulous.

Attachments

• Waverley_Portsmouth_1.JPG
    Waverley_Portsmouth_1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 37
  • 2023-South-Coast-Timetable-Small.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

SeanBentley

I don't have real-time information, but it seems like you're looking for more details about the B1 61306 "Mayflower" trip to Portsmouth on May 31st. While it might not be listed on the Steam Dreams website, you could try contacting them directly or checking with railway enthusiasts' forums and communities for updates on such trips. They often have members who track and discuss steam train excursions in real-time.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
I don't have real-time information, but it seems like you're looking for more details about the B1 61306 "Mayflower" trip to Portsmouth on May 31st. While it might not be listed on the Steam Dreams website, you could try contacting them directly or checking with railway enthusiasts' forums and communities for updates on such trips. They often have members who track and discuss steam train excursions in real-time.
Thanks Sean. My original post on this thread, stemmed from seeing the train listed on Realtime Trains site but not on RailtourInfo site. That's happened a few times and so I use RTT now as my main source.

"Mayflower" is out again on the Hampshire and West Sussex coastway this Sunday, with excursions related to Goodwood Revival.

trebor79

Established Member
'Waverley' is a wonderful vessel - and well-worth having a sail on - but I'm 99.99% certain that she's oil-fired.

Ah, thanks for correcting me; I've changed my earlier post. At least she has proper chimneys! The chime whistle - which her crew used, to call up a tug - was splendid to hear.
Yes, sailed on her about 20 year ago and was an oil fired boiler. Very modern looking installation that appeared to be completely automatic. Looking down on the triple expansion engine was mesmerising, especially when the reversed was operated!

Trig2385

Mayflower at Littlehampton during her afternoon trip along the coast to Brighton

Attachments

• 20230910_141108.jpg
    20230910_141108.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230910_141632.jpg
    20230910_141632.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

Sun Chariot

Established Member
I've expanded this thread's scope, to cover South Hampshire, not merely Portsmouth area.

That also gives the chance to share today's Swanage Belle excursion, with "Bahamas" - here passing Southampton's outskirts in typically gloomy conditions.

And now for something completely different and nothing to do with South Hampshire!! I was sifting Dropbox and I found main line stram photos I took years ago. Of those, here are:
"Duchess of Sutherland" at King's Sutton,
"Tornado" at Shalford.

Attachments

• 45596_Totton.JPG
    45596_Totton.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • _Duchess_Sutherland_KingsSutton.jpg
    _Duchess_Sutherland_KingsSutton.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • _Tornado_Shalford.jpg
    _Tornado_Shalford.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Bit of a dry spell, steam-wise. The next one runs through my locality early-December.

So, a departure from main line steam. Here are a few shots taken 8 to 10 years ago, at Bluebell Railway, at Mid-Hants Railway and at Swanage Railway.

Attachments

• 1638_BluebellRly.JPG
    1638_BluebellRly.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • 45379_MidhantsRly.JPG
    45379_MidhantsRly.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 92212_BluebellRly.JPG
    92212_BluebellRly.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • LNWR_BluebellRly.JPG
    LNWR_BluebellRly.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 30053_SwanageRly.JPG
    30053_SwanageRly.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 925_MidHantsRly.JPG
    925_MidHantsRly.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Waiting_Bluebell.JPG
    Waiting_Bluebell.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 92212_MidHantsRly.JPG
    92212_MidHantsRly.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 34070_SwanageRly.JPG
    34070_SwanageRly.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 14

Robin Procter

I've changed this thread name, to reflect Mayflower's 31st May and 10th June stints to Pompey, plus Flying Scotsman's 17th June trip.

Two photos of 10th June's run, local locations. I also caught it at Buriton as it climbed the South Downs - no photo, but what a fantastic sound!

I'd love to see photos from members of this forum. Go on, share the love!
.... 'Mayflower' is on my bucket list! She sounds glorious on some good YouTube videos. When she was rostered to pass through Winchester I was ready but she got substituted by the Bulleid 'Braunton'.

To check if I have any photos to contribute to your thread, is Eastleigh counted as being in the Havant area? It's probably too far west.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
.... 'Mayflower' is on my bucket list! She sounds glorious on some good YouTube videos. When she was rostered to pass through Winchester I was ready but she got substituted by the Bulleid 'Braunton'.

To check if I have any photos to contribute to your thread, is Eastleigh counted as being in the Havant area? It's probably too far west.
Yes, of course! Any south-biased steam photos or videos are welcome here!

The B1 has put in some fine acoustics in these parts, this year - June, climbing the South Downs on the Portsmouth Direct Line - and last month, accelerating hard out of Havant, with Goodwood Revival day trippers returning to London

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.