• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Tours to Par.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash20

Can anyone tell me how the operators turn the Steam Engines at Par? I know of the old turntable at St.Blazey and the loop back at Laira but curious as to how it is achieved when at Par.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The turntable at St. Blazey is currently being renovated.

St Blazey TT (Scroll well down)

St Blazey Turntable
Neil Phillips
Since it has been nearly a year since my last report on the restoration of St Blazey’s turntable, an update is overdue – however it has been difficult to gauge progress lately due to the erection of tent covers on the deck. However earlier this year the two vacuum tanks and four support wheels were removed to enable access to the main structure to allow preparation for painting. This has now begun and the wheels have recently been reattached. However the tanks are still separate and can be seen in front of the fuel tank in my pictures below.
In my last report in May 2022 I included two photos taken in March showing a pair of long-lost rails uncovered during vegetation clearance. I was very surprised to discover that, not only has this road off the turntable now been completely cleared, but it forms a loop back onto the branch into Par Docks – the set of points visible from the level crossing gates, which I had assumed had been retained as a catch point leading into bushes, was still connected to the turntable under the vegetation!
Photos taken on Saturday 1st April 2023.

Best regards,
Neil Phillips

jannerdunk

The steam engine often gets taken off at Plymouth and the tour goes down into Cornwall diesel hauled. The steam engine then runs back to the Laira to be turned on the triangle and returns to north road station to be coaled and watered.

DSCF1047.JPG

D Williams

St Blazey turntable is planned to be ready to use by the end of the month when Flying Scotsman visits. However, as it detaches at Plymouth with the train continuing to Par diesel hauled, it may well be turned at Laira before running light engine to Par for the return trip. As well as the required work to the turntable I understand that the connecting track from St Blazey yard requires considerable fettling as it has been out of use for a long time.

D Williams

20230422-22nd-66131-st-blazey-turntable-1_orig.jpg

St Blazey turntable now back in working order. It's on handmatic at present, the vac reservoirs and motor are still being fixed. (OK this won't have helped with turning the big red thingy). Network Rail has been busy returning the connecting siding to a serviceable condition.

G30RG3

Hi. I understand the flying Scotsman may pass Plymouth this Saturday, 29.04.

Anyone know what time is best to try and get a look in?

G30RG3

Thanks for the clarification. Been searching high an low to find a time. Hopefully catch it coming in

Railcam is saying its passing Saltash at 1351 and 1851. If heard that it will stop at Exeter at 2004 which I was hoping to see. Does anyone know anything about it or are times still restricted?

MiNi

Railcam is saying its passing Saltash at 1351 and 1851. If heard that it will stop at Exeter at 2004 which I was hoping to see. Does anyone know anything about it or are times still restricted?
All times are out now. Realtime trains is the site to visit. Exeter arr 20.47,dep 21.17 on RTN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.