• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steel Sleepers - Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mugby

Established Member
I know for sure they have been used in jointed track.

There is a section on the Stoke to Derby line between Upper Leigh and Leigh Crossing.
The two sleepers either side of each joint are wood to enable packing if the joints become dipped.

LesS

Yes they can be used with jointed rail as well as with welded rail.

Steel sleepers have been used on "pioneer" class lines in New South Wales for at least a century. Mostly, they were used where timber sleepers were subject to attack from termites. They continue to be used more widely around Australia in circumstances where it is appropriate.

For the record, on the long run from Parkes to Broken Hill in the west of the state, most of the line was on steel sleepers with jointed rail. The principal express of the time; "The Silver City Comet"; ran on this track at constant speeds up to 70mph.

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
I don't think rails over 60'-0" long are allowed anymore, (there was an instruction about it issued summer before last I think), and jointed steel is a bad idea because of the problems with packing at the joints anyway.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I don't think rails over 60'-0" long are allowed anymore, (there was an instruction about it issued summer before last I think), and jointed steel is a bad idea because of the problems with packing at the joints anyway.

Out of the doghouse mate?

Anyway, I agree, we wouldn't get jointed on steel accepted, though I thought 120' jointed was still OK? I don't get all the LOI :roll:

Steel sleepers are currently bad-taste-in-the-mouth-of-the-month, as we are running into big issues with raising speeds on steel sleepers which were laid without reballasting ...

Boodiggy

Off the top of my head I believe the maximum length is now 100ft for jointed track. Although there was no requirement to remove any existing 120ft rails

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.