• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Step free route from Kings Cross (p11) to LU sub-surface lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Sterbs

Being not sound of wind nor limb I have to count every step and need advice on getting from (probably) platform 11 Kings Cross to the Circle Line tube in the lest of them.
I have looked at maps and diagrams galore but cannot make head nor tail of them. I do not know what lift to take nor where I might find it. If indeed it is a lift or more than one.
Please if anyone can just give me a start such as 'leave the platform, turn right and you will find the lift about xx yards ahead' I would be over the Moon. If I could jump that is!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
https://www.google.cz/search?q=tfl+kings+cross+step+free&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqpe3Ax8rVAhWCwxQKHX55B_cQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=1024#imgrc=AuAHueCe8dgVHM:

This is the best 3-D plan I can find quickly.

It shows a lift down to the new ticket hall not far from p11, a long-ish below-ground walk (part sloping back upward!) and then another lift down from the Circle Line booking hall below the front of St Pancras.

Because of that slope you might find it easier to walk on the surface as far as the front of Kings Cross, and use the lift right at the front of the "old" station, or even cross the road to the front of St Pancras, where there is an entrance to the Underground almost at the road junction; if I understand the plan right, there is then a lift down to ticket machine level, but my memory says there's a long ramp.

Other people may well be more accurately informed, but I hope this is a start.

robbeech

Established Member
From what i remember there is (until at least the end of this month) no / severely reduced step free access to the sub surface lines at King's Cross St Pancras. The only way i can see this being possible is if they are working on the lift between just below street level (just down from the barriers in what i think they call the Western Ticket Hall) and platform level. Suggestions are to use Farringdon for step free access. Where exactly are you trying to get from and to, it may be we can suggest alternatives.

Under normal circumstances, the lift just outside the exit near Platforms 9 to 11 at King's cross, a walk down the corridor, around the corner and up to the Western Ticket Hall, through the barrier and down the lift to platform level would be your best bet i'd think. You could (as mentioned) do a bit more in the station and go almost to the front of the station and use the the lift there which brings you out further down the corridor.

Mick Sterbs

Thanks. Was going to pick up friend at Tower Hill then on to Westminster. We are now going to meet at Westminster so I guess I shall go Victoria/Jubilee.
I suppose the mainline to tube will still hold the same problems.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The only way i can see this being possible is if they are working on the lift between just below street level (just down from the barriers in what i think they call the Western Ticket Hall) and platform level.

Yes, pretty sure that was boarded up when I passed through a couple of weeks ago. Mention of Farringdon makes me think you could access the sub-surface lines there by turning right at the KX suburban ticket barrier and across at ground level to the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras. A bit further than it sounds but probably shorter than walking to the sub-surface platforms at KXSP.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, pretty sure that was boarded up when I passed through a couple of weeks ago. Mention of Farringdon makes me think you could access the sub-surface lines there by turning right at the KX suburban ticket barrier and across at ground level to the Thameslink platforms at St Pancras. A bit further than it sounds but probably shorter than walking to the sub-surface platforms at KXSP.

Or stay on Thameslink right through to Blackfriars, then District/Circle to Westminster from there. Step free all the way without an excursion all the way round the circle.

Veteran Member
Thanks. Was going to pick up friend at Tower Hill then on to Westminster. We are now going to meet at Westminster so I guess I shall go Victoria/Jubilee.
I suppose the mainline to tube will still hold the same problems.

Heading to the deep level lines just use the lift I first mentioned near the exit from P11.

Vic to Jub at Green Park is quite a walk IIRC, but then so is Kings Cross to the Thameslink platforms. Take your pick!

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
For anyone that might be reading earlier posts, as of today the lift serving the sub-surface lines at KXSP is in use - I posted earlier it was out of use so either I was wrong or it's back. However the lift from the Euston Road end of St Pancras down to the western ticket hall is out of use, with the alternative step-free route being via the Tube ticket hall lift outside KX.

Nym

Established Member
Sorry. Should have said right at the outset we are 85 and 86 and every bl**dy step is agers!

In that case, if you would like to do it with buses.

Get the 91 or 59 (59 starts here) from Kings Cross to Aldwych (south side) then;
Get the 11 or 87 (87 starts here) from Aldwych to Westminster Station.

This would be the minimum number of steps by my memory.

Mick Sterbs

Thank you Nym. We took the 59 + 87. Very frightening but we got there. Boy! This place has changed since 1950. I think we shall stick to the 'sticks'. Maybe try Frinton on Sea next!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.