• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stephenson's Rocket Working Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Wetzel

I'm curious to know what duties Stephenson's Rocket did during its working life. Did the locomotive pull passengers/goods trains? Did the locomotive work at a mine or harbor?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Wikipedia has quite a lot of information about Rocket - it was much modified very early in its working life (as you might expect for a prototype), was sold to Lord Carlisle's Railway in 1836 but only operated for a few years, being stored there and then given into preservation,in about 1862. Curiously Locomotion No 1 seems to have had a longer operating life - about 25 years. I guess that's because Rocket was very quickly obsolete in the changing environment of the Liverpool & Manchester, whereas on a colliery railway all you had to do was trundle along!

Status
Not open for further replies.