• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stock used on the Cleethorpes to Barton - upon - Humber line

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveyBee131

Since the timetable changes, it would appear that Cleethorpes - Barton trains have been run by the same unit.

Previously, the line had a different unit every weekday which worked up from Doncaster in service as 2F80, the 05:30 Doncaster to Cleethorpes, then worked Barton trains all day. It then stabled overnight at Cleethorpes, before working the 05:59 Cleethorpes to Barton, 06:58 Barton to Grimsby Town, then going ECS to Scunthorpe in time to work the 08:19 to Sheffield.

However, I have observed the same unit (153324) yesterday and today working the line. As Cleethorpes has only washing and fuelling facilities (I believe) and with no ECS moves or in service positioning moves shown on Real Time Trains until possibly Saturday, it got me thinking, how long could a unit stay away from it's home depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
The unit in question won't do a high amount of mileage compared to many so I would expect it probably could last a week if it isn't likely to need any exams. I think cleethorpes can do very light maintence as well.

Loop & Link

Stables at Lincoln now and comes up attached to EMT unit and back down later attached to EMT unit. Unit swapped over going back to Sheffield.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Seems that the entire Doncaster-Cleethorpes service plus the associated Barton-Grimsby train just doesn't run at all now, meaning that the first train out of Barton-on-Humber is now an hour later at 07:56. Hardly an improvement, but probably keeps things simpler with 1 unit in the mix not 2.

SteveyBee131

The unit in question won't do a high amount of mileage compared to many so I would expect it probably could last a week if it isn't likely to need any exams. I think cleethorpes can do very light maintence as well.
Agreed about the low mileage, Sunday to Friday the total mileage for 1 unit running the service would be 2,068. Plus 47 for each round trip until it goes with one of the Saturdays only services to Sheffield (at least twice so another 94 miles) plus the mileage for a round trip from Sheffield (and Leeds Neville Hill of course) would still be under 2,500 miles.

So that would be quite a reasonable idea, until Northern are on strike on Saturday, so the Saturdays only isn't running this week! We shall see what happens...

Last edited:

SteveyBee131

Stables at Lincoln now and comes up attached to EMT unit and back down later attached to EMT unit. Unit swapped over going back to Sheffield.

This idea sounds feasible to a point. However, on closer inspection, the last EMT service from Grimsby (and/or Cleethorpes) is too early to take the Barton unit back with it. Also, there doesn't appear to be any Northern units finish up at Lincoln in the evening for there to be one there to bring up in the morning. I do like the idea though... ;)

SteveyBee131

Seems that the entire Doncaster-Cleethorpes service plus the associated Barton-Grimsby train just doesn't run at all now, meaning that the first train out of Barton-on-Humber is now an hour later at 07:56. Hardly an improvement, but probably keeps things simpler with 1 unit in the mix not 2.

Indeed, the first round trip, that needed a second unit, now doesn't run. It isn't shown on Real Time Trains, but is on Northern's PDF of the leaflet. There aren't any printed copies available at the station at the moment, perhaps this is why?

SteveyBee131

Update: saw 153324 working Cleethorpes - Barton again this morning, so looks like it may well do a unit swap on a Saturday with a fresh unit coming attached to one of the Saturdays only Sheffield to Cleethorpes workings (unless they don't run, as they won't this week due to strikes)

Crossover

Established Member
May have to do a swap sooner now - I read elsewhere that the unit was struck by something around New Clee this afternoon (suspected vandalism) and hasn't run a service since

rick pike

May have to do a swap sooner now - I read elsewhere that the unit was struck by something around New Clee this afternoon (suspected vandalism) and hasn't run a service since
According to the local paper youths got off at New Clee, walked on to track and chucked stones at the windows breaking at least one window

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

153373 ran ECS from Neville Hill tonight to replace.

clagmonster

Established Member
I'd assumed it was going to become an EMT unit. Was the plan something along the lines of a 153 going on the back of the last Sheffield - Lincoln to get two Northern units stabled at Lincoln, with the unit swapped off the Barton going on the back of the next morning's Lincoln - Sheffield?

The plan was for the first Barton to be a 185, although some last minute issues have been found so whilst these are hopefully sorted this is a replacement bus.

This idea sounds feasible to a point. However, on closer inspection, the last EMT service from Grimsby (and/or Cleethorpes) is too early to take the Barton unit back with it. Also, there doesn't appear to be any Northern units finish up at Lincoln in the evening for there to be one there to bring up in the morning. I do like the idea though... ;)
The last train was also to be a 185, leaving the 153 free to go on the back of the 21:17 Cleethorpes - Lincoln. As again the 185 currently can't happen, it seems plan b is to keep the 153 to work the last Barton, hence it having to stay all week (or not as is unfortunately the case this week).

Loop & Link

20:59 Sheffield - Lincoln stables there overnight a 153, then goes up to Cleethorpes the next day with an EMT unit.

The units are swapped over with the 153 going back on 20:17 Cleethorpes - Lincoln (EMT) and then 22:42 Lincoln - Sheffield.

These changes may have been done in preparation for it being transferred into the East Midlands Franchise as supposedly one of Northern's 153s will be going with it. I believe the original plan was for it to transfer with the May 18 timetable change but presumably the EM Franchise being delayed has pushed that back.

SteveyBee131

Interesting:o

Shame about the vandals last night :rolleyes: but I guess the cloud has a silver lining with an ex-GWR 153 ending up doing the honours. Hopefully I might get chance to catch up with it while it works the Bartons.

Sounds like some interesting things going on when they can go to plan. It's been a while since 185s worked to Barton. And Northern and EMT stock working together :D

I wonder if there's anywhere else where different TOCs work trains together?

Bovverboy

Established Member
I wonder if there's anywhere else where different TOCs work trains together?

From the time when the Manchester Airport to Blackpool, Barrow, and Windermere services were transferred from TPE to Northern to the start of the present timetable a TPE 185 operating a Glasgow to Manchester Airport combined at Preston with a Northern 185 (hired from TPE) operating a Barrow to Manchester Airport service and they ran together from there. Coming back they would split at Preston and continued to Glasgow (TPE) and Windermere (NT). This happened every Saturday (1300 from the Airport).

SteveyBee131

That sounds cool! :D wouldn't look unusual to those who didn't know any different as they in same livery, but to those that do it sounds an interesting working.

SteveyBee131

Briefly back to the Barton 153 (if or when things settle down to the original plan...) how many different companies train crews can run one units diagram...? A Northern crew work it to Lincoln (and up until there of course); then an EMT crew work it (along with an EMT unit) to Cleethorpes; then TPE crews work it for the day to and from Barton. Then of course the reverse happens to take it back... thats one complex bit of working together to provide a service! o_O:o:D

Crossover

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that a 185 used to run to and from Barton in a morning until relatively recently (probably a few years ago now)?

SteveyBee131

You're absolutely right, it did. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped, but I know it's been at least 5 years, because it stopped before me and my wife got married. Wow, where does time go! Anyway, there must have been some changes on the branch at some point in the meantime, as apparently there were problems of some sort when they took 185127 up there recently on test.

Crossover

Established Member
The regular 185 didn't call at Thornton Abbey I don't think (may have been another stop too) due to the severe step off the train to the platform

clagmonster

Established Member
1458 Cleethorpes - Barton was a 185 this afternoon, very odd.
Said train is not booked to run in the current temporary timetable. Seems it ran as empty stock in the booked path. From RTT the others seem to have been 153 as booked.

2L70

On Moderation
That’s the only time I can remember it happening bar the 0600 and 2104 services...

Next departure up the line was cancelled.

For the last few weeks it has been a EMR 153+ Northern 153 as a pair due to Covid restrictions. A set swap normally takes place midweek.

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
Likewise - don't recall it happening on anything other than the first and the last. Indeed today was unusual in that there was a spare 185 at Cleethorpes to run in the path.

Both 153s were swapped this evening in different moves. Slightly notable, the EMR 153 which went on the back of the last Lincoln had a Bardic as a temporary tail light. There is a path for another EMR swap on Thursday.

2L70

On Moderation
2x EMR 153 on the Barton Line this week.

EMR crew may be starting to learn the route soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.