• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport/Wilmslow to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESHIRECAT

Hello
Did I remember seeing a post regarding a TFW/LNWR only ticket
I've searched but ro no available!
TIA!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have you tried Trainsplit in value/cheaper mode? If no joy, try advanced options, using only TfW and West Midlands Trains (WMT; the train company providing trains branded LNR and WMR).

What date/time are you looking at?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The TfW/LNR only fare only exists from Manchester, not from Stockport or Wilmslow. You can buy it from Manchester and then travel from Stockport or Wilmslow - there are no break of journey restrictions.

jfollows

Established Member
Remember that it's TfW-only between Stockport/Wilmslow and Crewe, you can't use Northern services with this ticket.

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
you could also buy a LNWR crewe to london ticket and then a separate ticket to crewe to avoid limiting yourself to just the TfW services for that section

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
you could also buy a LNWR crewe to london ticket and then a separate ticket to crewe to avoid limiting yourself to just the TfW services for that section
Although this would cost quite a bit more - the TfW & LNR ticket only costs about 50p more than the LNR only fare to Crewe. So you might as well buy that, and if the timings of the TfW services don't suit on the day, you can probably still bag a cheap Northern Advance.

erk

The TfW/LNR only fare only exists from Manchester, not from Stockport or Wilmslow. You can buy it from Manchester and then travel from Stockport or Wilmslow - there are no break of journey restrictions.

brfares.com reports that break of joirney is not permitted on the outward jouurney. However I don't recall ever being alerted to this when buying the ticket...

mangyiscute

Established Member
brfares.com reports that break of joirney is not permitted on the outward jouurney. However I don't recall ever being alerted to this when buying the ticket...
from what I could see it isn't permitted on the super off peak but the normal off peak does allow break of journey so i think you would have to use this ticket - if the super off peak journey times are fine than this makes splitting at crewe a lot more feasible, although from what i can tell the TfW services are pretty well timed anyway

kieron

Established Member
I think you're referring to the flexible tickets here. There are TFW/LNR/WMR only advance tickets on the same routes, which do ban break of journey.
from what I could see it isn't permitted on the super off peak but the normal off peak does allow break of journey
What can you see, exactly? According to nre.co.uk, the restrictions for JN (the ticket code for the super off peak tickets) are:
Outward Travel
Not valid on trains timed to depart Manchester Piccadilly after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.
Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.

Return Travel
Not valid on trains timed to depart Manchester Piccadilly after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.
Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 or before 10:30 and not between 16:00 to 19:00.
There is no reference to break of journey, and the ticket type permits break of journey. As such, you are allowed to buy a Manchester-London super off peak ticket and start your journey in Stockport or Wilmslow.

realemil

I think you're referring to the flexible tickets here. There are TFW/LNR/WMR only advance tickets on the same routes, which do ban break of journey.
Outward Validity:​
SEE RESTRICTNS (1 day)
Break of journey is not permitted​

This is from BRFares, however, upon further investigation I can’t see any restriction which denies BoJ. It’s only mentioned in that one specific area.

I managed to obtain a TfW + LNR only itinerary using LNER, setting “via” to Lichfield Trent Valley, travel after 10:30.

Nowhere does it say that BoJ is banned.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is another example where you need to be careful about interpreting what BR Fares is saying.

BR Fares is telling you that the fare type (OPR - confusingly this is a Super Off-Peak Return!) is marked in the industry data as having break of journey barred on the outward portion.

However, whilst there are some OPR tickets where BoJ is barred on the outward portion, this doesn't apply to all tickets. Super Off-Peak tickets don't inherently have a bar on BoJ and so it purely depends on what the restriction code says, as to whether any bar is even intended.

CHESHIRECAT

Although this would cost quite a bit more - the TfW & LNR ticket only costs about 50p more than the LNR only fare to Crewe. So you might as well buy that, and if the timings of the TfW services don't suit on the day, you can probably still bag a cheap Northern Advance.
Can't seem to find it even on TFW own website?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can't seem to find it even on TFW own website?
It's a lot slower than the direct Avanti services, so it won't come up by default. You'll have to force it, e.g. by entering via Atherstone.

jfollows

Established Member
Thanks will give it a go
Or use https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk and select "Our trains only".

I won't be using the TfW/LNR ticket myself, I will always buy some kind of ticket Wilmslow-Crewe and use the LNR-only ticket from there, the TfW trains are often crowded and run late and I don't want to restrict myself to a crowded, late-running hourly service from Crewe on the way back.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
This is from BRFares, however, upon further investigation I can’t see any restriction which denies BoJ. It’s only mentioned in that one specific area.
Thanks. I wonder if this is an error in the underlying data. It says that a break of journey is not permitted for a type of ticket which nre.co.uk says permits breaks of journey.

Even if it is, it seems a bit risky to rely on the accuracy of data which isn't used by the industry's public-facing systems.

WMT (who set this ticket) aren't the only TOC to have OPR tickets which permit break of journey, so this isn't simply an example of them picking the wrong ticket code.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I've been more than happy using the LNR trains from Crewe, good value for the service provided. No issues getting a seat on the outbound as it starts as Crewe. Use of OpenTrainTimes to locate the correct platform at Euston will always net you a seat on the return.

317 forever

Established Member
I used that ticket from Stockport this week. I bought it online on the LNWR website as an e-ticket. I was concerned that, had I picked it up as a ticket on departure and the gates been manned, it would look dodgy. In the event the gate was open and it was unstaffed.

I travelled down on Bank Holiday Monday when there were disruptions. (So what's new? ;)) Anyway, as the 16.33 from Crewe to Euston was cancelled we were allowed to use LNWR tickets on Avanti. I therefore reached Euston 24 minutes earlier and my hotel station (New Eltham) half an hour earlier than expected. :D

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Feeling a little ripped off - the fares from Manchester are only 20/30p more for than the off-peak and super-off-peak returns from Crewe!

6Gman

Established Member
Or use https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk and select "Our trains only".

I won't be using the TfW/LNR ticket myself, I will always buy some kind of ticket Wilmslow-Crewe and use the LNR-only ticket from there, the TfW trains are often crowded and run late and I don't want to restrict myself to a crowded, late-running hourly service from Crewe on the way back.
Also not unusual for a late running S Wales-Manchester to turn at Crewe leaving a gap.

CHESHIRECAT

ah yes thank you; I was under the impression there was a through ticket from MAN which encompassed TFW and LNWR services

jfollows

Established Member
ah yes thank you; I was under the impression there was a through ticket from MAN which encompassed TFW and LNWR services
There is, but I think we're going round in circles; if you want TfW+LNR there is a ticket from Manchester to London (and vice-versa) which restricts you to TfW services between Crewe and Manchester but which costs little more than the LNR London-Crewe ticket. If you don't want to be restricted to the hourly/unreliable/busy TfW service between Crewe and Manchester then you can buy a London-Crewe ticket with LNR and get a separate ticket (maybe a short-notice advance) for the rest of the journey. Or just a standard single/return if it's cheap enough.

Puffing Devil

Established Member

There is - Trainsplit will sell them if you restrict the operators to London Midland and TFW.

Same day is hard for the super-off-peak as the restrictions are:

Outward & Return:​
VALID ON DEP BETWEEN 1031-1531 & AFTER 1930​

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is, but I think we're going round in circles; if you want TfW+LNR there is a ticket from Manchester to London (and vice-versa) which restricts you to TfW services between Crewe and Manchester but which costs little more than the LNR London-Crewe ticket. If you don't want to be restricted to the hourly/unreliable/busy TfW service between Crewe and Manchester then you can buy a London-Crewe ticket with LNR and get a separate ticket (maybe a short-notice advance) for the rest of the journey. Or just a standard single/return if it's cheap enough.
Given the tiny difference in price for a Manchester-London TfW+LNR ticket over a Crewe-London ticket, I'd say it's almost always going to be worthwhile buying the Manchester ticket and then 'throwing away' the Crewe-Manchester portion if need be. Obviously if you buy the Crewe-London ticket and then decide there's a TfW train that suits, you are almost certainly going to be refused the sale of an excess so you'll have to stump up for a new ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.