• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke-on-Trent to Middlesbrough on Feb 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
A friend of mine needs to get from Stoke to Middlesbrough on Feb 9th getting there for around 12:00 and leaving at around 17:00. The walk up fare is £87 and the cheapest I have got it down to is £65 by buying Stoke-Stockport-York-Middlesbrough.

Is there any way of getting it cheaper? Preferably with not too many changes as the person travelling isn't a train fan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
A friend of mine needs to get from Stoke to Middlesbrough on Feb 9th getting there for around 12:00 and leaving at around 17:00. The walk up fare is £87 and the cheapest I have got it down to is £65 by buying Stoke-Stockport-York-Middlesbrough.

Is there any way of getting it cheaper? Preferably with not too many changes as the person travelling isn't a train fan.
Have you tried entering the journey on TrainSplit?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Stoke to Manchester Off Peak Return (Saver),
Manchester to Middlesbrough advance.

Should have read the question properly.

If traveling there and back the same day, a Blythe Bridge to Manchester CDR is cheaper (£15.80) than a Stoke to Manchester any operator SDR at £19.05 or any operator OPR at £17.65. Trainsplit and similar sites are not clever enough to know this! The any operator CDR Stoke to Manchester disappeared in January but was more than that from Blythe Bridge anyway.

At short notice the cheapest Advances seem to be £3.50 + £29.30 / £29.30 + £5.50

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Trainsplit gets it down to below £65 on the 1138 arrival and 1657 departure.
Stoke to Manchester Off Peak Return (Saver),
Manchester to Middlesbrough advance.
Are you sure? Which trains are these TPE Advance fares on?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Trainsplit gets it down to below £65 on the 1138 arrival and 1657 departure.

Are you sure? Which trains are these TPE Advance fares on?
Indeed, £58.80 if you do the dirty by using trainsplit, then going to buy the tickets direct!

Sorry, I didn't look up the specifics first. I was going on experience last year of getting TPE advances at £13.90 each way. I haven't planned any trips that way this year so don't knowe what TPE's general ADV offer is.

The intricacies of on-line planners. Trainsplit offers £5.00 on the 1935 Manchester to Stoke, whilst NRE offers £5.50 for the same!

BlueFox

Transpennine have a January sale at the moment, a third off Advance tickets. Ticket splitting sites won't be able to offer these discounts, you have to buy them directly from their sale page here: https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-offers/january-sale

*The 1/3 discount applies to TransPennine Express Advance Purchase tickets bought between Monday 7 January and Thursday 31 January 2019. Tickets must be for travel between Tuesday 8 January up to Friday 5 April 2019 and must be purchased through the link on this page or using promo code JANSALE through the app

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The intricacies of on-line planners. Trainsplit offers £5.00 on the 1935 Manchester to Stoke, whilst NRE offers £5.50 for the same!
Looks like the last £5 fare has just been sold (or been added to someone's basket; it may return if it's in a basket and doesn't get sold).

Status
Not open for further replies.