• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

stone hut at Grindleford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakerbloke

I have recently noticed a small stone building built into the banking between Grindleford platforms and the tunnel entrance. It has a wooden gate as a door. What was/is this used for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincolnshire

At a guess, either a P.Way hut or a fog mans hut if there is or was a signal near it.

This is where the man on duty to replace the dets who was on fogging duties could keep warm till he was required to fit new dets etc.

In other locations these were often a bit like a sentry box with a seat in and a farmhouse kitchen style door on and a coke brazier outside to keep warm by it.

caliwag

There's some fantastic, seriously overgrown p.way huts on the main line in Cornwall. Mainly sleeper built or corrugated steel but with mature trees and ivy in and all over them...marvellous. I fancy photographing them all as a retirement project, but short of there being a national train strike I don't know how I'd get near them!

Any other lines with interesting, forgotten structures?

For years after the Lickey bankers shed was closed it was host to a whole forest of birch trees...seems to be a cleared site now. Er was that Bromsgrove shed btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.