• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

storage on the Tyne and Wear Metro

squ9re

A While back whilst visiting Newcastle I was locked in St James Station, only for a short while. Most people would’ve of been annoyed but I really enjoyed myself. Anyways while I was in there I realised that the last train had been stabled in there. Does this happen often or was this a rare occurrence???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jh64

I believe stabling there is happening more often to make space for the new trains at the main depot.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I believe it also has the added bonus of keeping the temperamental old Metrocars out of the bad weather.

Volvictof

It’s part of the “winterisation” plan to stop them freezing up in the morning. There will be 4 stabled There each night until such time as it’s deemed safe to put them into Howdon satellite depot without the risk of a below freezing night. It used to happen ad-hoc but now is written into the planning.

DanNCL

Established Member
4 sets have been booked to stable there each night since the timetable change in December, one set in each platform and one in each of the overrun tunnels. As mentioned above it keeps the worn out units out of the cold but it also allowed two more 555s to be delivered last month before extra stabling space at Gosforth is ready.

Of note is that one of the trains stabling there each night is from the Green line. The set comes out of service at South Gosforth, runs empty to Manors via the empty stock line then reverses to get to St James, and does the reverse in the morning.

Volvictof

4 sets have been booked to stable there each night since the timetable change in December, one set in each platform and one in each of the overrun tunnels. As mentioned above it keeps the worn out units out of the cold but it also allowed two more 555s to be delivered last month before extra stabling space at Gosforth is ready.

Of note is that one of the trains stabling there each night is from the Green line. The set comes out of service at South Gosforth, runs empty to Manors via the empty stock line then reverses to get to St James, and does the reverse in the morning.
And I’m doing that exact thing tomorrow morning. T107

Volvictof

If you are taking the one out of the overrun tunnel please take a photo for me hahaha. Would love to see a shot of that in the tunnel.
Unfortunately it was just in the platform. One or both of the ones in the overrun tunnels were heavily graffitied overnight also. I can’t imagine that it will be a one off.

squ9re

Unfortunately it was just in the platform. One or both of the ones in the overrun tunnels were heavily graffitied overnight also. I can’t imagine that it will be a one off.
Wow, I wonder how they done it. I thought once that maybe the Taggers have more knowledge of the railways than most Enthusiasts or Workers.

Volvictof

Wow, I wonder how they done it. I thought once that maybe the Taggers have more knowledge of the railways than most Enthusiasts or Workers.
since the trains are stabled in the station every night now, I imagine that they realised this and then hid in the overrun tunnel fire escape area till the station was closed and then did the deed and either spent the night there, getting on the first train to leave or they left through the station doors. (Maybe they did some tunnel walking)

squ9re

since the trains are stabled in the station every night now, I imagine that they realised this and then hid in the overrun tunnel fire escape area till the station was closed and then did the deed and either spent the night there, getting on the first train to leave or they left through the station doors. (Maybe they did some tunnel walking)
I believe the other Tunnel Sidings on the metro, Stoggart Street (forgive me if i got it wrong), were closed due to vandalism. It’s a shame really.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe the other Tunnel Sidings on the metro, Stoggart Street (forgive me if i got it wrong), were closed due to vandalism. It’s a shame really.
Stoddart St sidings are not in tunnel, they’re in the open air between the Metro and Network Rail tracks, just west of the Byker bridges.

Volvictof

You’ll be thinking of Stoddard street Sidings. Though they aren’t in a tunnel, they’re out in the open on the approach to Mannors. They weren’t closed and are still used from time to time, but pretty much anything that gets put there gets tagged, and tbh they wouldn’t have been any use for this job anyway as the trains need to be kept in the warmth.

Tramfan

Their primary use used to be to get trains between the Depot and St James, by coming round Manors Curve. Since Howdon Depot opened, trains can run from their straight to St James instead.