• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stored Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

The Times - yesterday 17th March 2007

So who is responsible for all this stored but usable stock? Is it the railway operators or the DFT?

I reckon SWT could get a great deal from Angel to open a pig farm again but would the DFT let them?

pig016.jpg

pig017-1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kris

wow they even got the classes of unit correct. Good journalism, bring back the 442s.

It's the Times. Great paper. People still think that they will struggle to read it but they don't use unecessary long words like they used too.

A recent edition covered the figures available for model railways now. They showed armed German police and - what actually looked like - a quite innocent Asian family. But the article pointed out how topical the figures are now with grafitti ****s, people having sex etc etc.

Ditch the sun (I won't deign to give it a capital S) and read something more interesting instead.

kettlefan

A recent edition covered the figures available for model railways now. They showed armed German police and - what actually looked like - a quite innocent Asian family. But the article pointed out how topical the figures are now with grafitti ****s, people having sex etc etc.

who cares about what figures you can buy for layouts? Papers should get on with other stuff...like bringing back 442s

Kris

I was just pointing out that they diversify. Not going on about David Maceroon's latest hair parting and whether Tony Bliar is macho or not.

Daniel

Established Member
I was reading that in the times yesterday in First Class ;))), it's a good newspaper, no wonder it's what FGW give as a complementary! :P

Good to see they said it was the most comfortable!

Kris

sorry kris I wasn't having a rant, I just tire of seeing the uproar blummin Preiser cause with their figures, like the ones in bed for example. Its just a bit "o" fun after all.

Hi, sorry - I wasn't ranting either. The article actually praised the figures rather than condemned them. They thought that they are a bit of fun too.

I have the article somewhere - just trying to find it.

kettlefan

Hi, sorry - I wasn't ranting either. The article actually praised the figures rather than condemned them. They thought that they are a bit of fun too.

I have the article somewhere - just trying to find it.

lol I intend to get nudists for my Swedish HO layout...

in response to a previous note, after having 444 induced back spasms I wish they'd put the 442s back on!

Kris

The ones in bed - I was thinking how would one incorporate that in a layout?

Have a house close to the tracks and put a light in there for when a layout is in the dark?

thefab444

Established Member
It doesn't mention the 442's traction package as being well older than the train bodies themselves.

TBH with you, if they brough back the 442s, they would have to send 'em back to Ilford for a 'proper refurb' e.g. removal of buffet area, compartments in FC etc. to get those all important seats in.

Would be nice if the disabled toilet got a bit of a refurbishment, and new doors were fitted too.

T

Tom

The chances that whoever takes them on will refurb them, anyway.

richa2002

Established Member
It doesn't mention the 442's traction package as being well older than the train bodies themselves.

TBH with you, if they brough back the 442s, they would have to send 'em back to Ilford for a 'proper refurb' e.g. removal of buffet area, compartments in FC etc. to get those all important seats in.

Would be nice if the disabled toilet got a bit of a refurbishment, and new doors were fitted too.
What a ridiculous way of thinking. The First Class compartments are part of the attraction for commuters as is the buffet. Getting rid of those just encourages people to travel by car instead.

T

Tom

The centre car (can't be bothered with the abbrev cause I always get it wrong) was due to have the guards van ripped out and a smaller replacement built by a smaller buffet. Seating would have about 65S IIRC, about 20 more than a 444.

thefab444

Established Member
What a ridiculous way of thinking. The First Class compartments are part of the attraction for commuters as is the buffet. Getting rid of those just encourages people to travel by car instead.

It's not as ridiculous as you might think, comes down to two words... More Seats.

I think this 'smaller buffet' would've basically been the same as a 444, just a trolley stowage cupboard. Would they have installed a small 'guards office' like on 444/450s?

If you use the figures on TRC, have the MSRMB with 65 seats means it has 4 more SC than a 444. Instead of removing the compartments, they could convert the little saloon back to SC as it should be?

Hentis

The centre car (can't be bothered with the abbrev cause I always get it wrong) was due to have the guards van ripped out and a smaller replacement built by a smaller buffet. Seating would have about 65S IIRC, about 20 more than a 444.

Yes Tom is correct, I was about to bring this up. The whole idea was for the untis to go to Doncaster to have the works carried out. Instead the C6 was said about instead.

SWT mentioned to Angel trains that the 442's would be going off lease way before they knew for sure they paid for the over the odds franchise. Now to remove the pigs and workforce off their books saves them a fair bit of money.

The idea was for Southern to take the majority of the 442's to replace the 319s after having them cascaaded to North of the Thames.

Also SWT's "Bull****" excuse about commuters waiting to travel after the peak service to travel to London is just a backdoor excuse to get more money out of the rail travel because the bid too much for the franchise.

As to seeing the 442's running between Weymouth & Waterloo again.... only if its a special. I cant see it personally.

Cheers

Hentis

Hentis

No its not a ridulous way of thinking. It was the plan to get more seats into the train. I beleive as mentioned earlier tom and I worked out it would have been about 20 more than the current 444's. But the idea was shelved and the decision for a C6 by Angel trains was motioned.

Over the past few years the buffets were hardly ever used. It was a trolley service that would clatter its self up and down the train and smash into your elbows if they were no watching where they were going >OUCHIE< (boy I had bruises to prove it hurts as well).

Cheers

Hentis

Status
Not open for further replies.