• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Friday 20/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Many of the TfW routes are suspended... definitely flooding around Church Stretton.

WMRs Hereford to Birmingham services are currently facing cancellation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Merseyrail turning at Rock Ferry on the Chester/Ellesmere Port service.

Hope this doesn't go on 40 days and 40 nights! :)

Many of the TfW routes are suspended... definitely flooding around Church Stretton.

We must surely be due a Conwy Valley washout, particularly as I have plans to use it next month :)

TfW website is now claiming all services suspended but looking at Realtime Trains this doesn't seem to be actually true. The Valley does seem to still be running, astonishingly, RTT showing the 1137 Blaenau to Llandudno departing just 2 late.

Last edited:

thejuggler

This is the first real test for the new flood protection works alongside Leeds-Skipton line between the city centre and Kirkstall.

There are only a few weeks left to completion of works further up the river to Apperley Bridge which will reduce flows further downstream during heavy rain.

dk1

Veteran Member
Thetford-Brandon has reopened following earlier flooding.

Problems now however between Stowmarket & Diss and to a lesser extent Manningtree to Ipswich.

I think disruption must be expected on/off on all routes until at least late afternoon/early evening.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Weather apps showing "100% chance of precipitation" until midnight for my area of West Yorkshire. If the upper Calder Valley is the same I fear for the underpass at Mirfield in the next 48 hours.

CHAPS2034

According to NR Enquiries

Flooding at Swindon - all lines currently blocked

Chester to Crewe blocked by flooding

Wrexham to Bidston closed by flooding

Big problems at Derby in all directions

Chase line ops suspended due to severe flooding

Other issues as reported up thread plus some delays in the Stafford/Macclesfield/ Crewe areas

Not a good day to be out

Basher

Stuck at Carlisle came from Kirkby Stephen on route to Gasgow with an advanced ticket. The 10.48 to Glasgow train delayed at Lancaster, by the time it arrives it will be just turnaround at Glasgow. I am due back on the 18.30, may just give up and go home .
Will get my fare back from the return journey?

Bantamzen

Established Member
This is the first real test for the new flood protection works alongside Leeds-Skipton line between the city centre and Kirkstall.

There are only a few weeks left to completion of works further up the river to Apperley Bridge which will reduce flows further downstream during heavy rain.
The river levels upstream are all approaching flood level. I've just arrived in Shipley by road and the river is starting to breach onto the road at Baildon Bridge so it won't be long at all before the new works will be tested.

CHAPS2034

Stuck at Carlisle came from Kirkby Stephen on route to Gasgow with an advanced ticket. The 10.48 to Glasgow train delayed at Lancaster, by the time it arrives it will be just turnaround at Glasgow. I am due back on the 18.30, may just give up and go home .

Looks like there was a broken down freight train between Preston and Oxenholme earlier but this has just now been cleared according to NRE

According to RTT your train has now left Lancaster 122 late

6Gman

Established Member
If you abandon your journey isn't that a full refund?

(May be different on an Advance?)

sprunt

I'm supposed to be travelling from Manchester to Nottingham by train this evening, I've just seen that the 12.06 from Sheffield to Nottingham was cancelled due to flooding but the upcoming services are still showing as on time - can anyone say what the situation is and offer a prognostication as to whether I've any chance of doing my trip?

DanHST

This morning I looked at Traksy and it looked like some cross country and Hereford - New Street services were diverted via Stourbridge instead of Bromsgrove, but now they don't seem to be going that way. Are they just being cancelled and does anyone have a better idea of what's going on?

Sleepy

Established Member
It's sunny in Devon, so I'd hope no more Dawlish woes at least!
Points failure Castle Cary - Westbury, 1A78 1A80 etc. stationary.
Update : all moving again now, expect delays for return workings from Paddington to Devon/Cornwall this afternoon.

Last edited:

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I'm supposed to be travelling from Manchester to Nottingham by train this evening, I've just seen that the 12.06 from Sheffield to Nottingham was cancelled due to flooding but the upcoming services are still showing as on time - can anyone say what the situation is and offer a prognostication as to whether I've any chance of doing my trip?
The down line is currently blocked at Dronfield and there appears to be issues at Ilkeston.

1D54

Liverpool - Norwich EMR service departing Sheffield at 12:40 looks to be fine

CHAPS2034

Thanks both - just a question of keeping my eye on it through the afternoon I guess.
The previous Liverpool - Norwich (1L09) dep Sheffield 10 late having been delayed in the Hope Valley and RTT shows it got as far as Chesterfield at 1206 and is now showing 'at platform' 30 mins later.

Looking at Traksy, a 1Z09 is now northbound from Chesterfield via Barrow Hill, so may be this train returning to Sheffield?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
The previous Liverpool - Norwich (1L09) dep Sheffield 10 late having been delayed in the Hope Valley and RTT shows it got as far as Chesterfield at 1206 and is now showing 'at platform' 30 mins later.

Looking at Traksy, a 1Z09 is now northbound from Chesterfield via Barrow Hill, so may be this train returning to Sheffield?
Yes it is.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just seen on Twitter that Mirfield station is now closed!
Just checked NRE: still showing calls up to the 1342 Northern to Wigan Wallgate, then everything cancelled apart from the GC services and the Castleford replacement buses. If the Station Road underpass is flooded, anyone alighting from down services will be stranded- so presumably the last few are calling to pick up only and rescue anyone who's marooned there?

P.S. As an aside, what kind of a name for a storm is "Babet"? Who comes up with these names, and do they have children or pets with equally baffling names? :rolleyes:

Looks like there was a broken down freight train between Preston and Oxenholme earlier but this has just now been cleared according to NRE

According to RTT your train has now left Lancaster 122 late
There is a Tesco Express stuck at Shap, whilst the late-running Glasgow train is behind it at Oxenholme.

Rail Quest

Bizarrely, 4M27 is stuck at Warrington at the moment. A 1Z99 move from Crewe arrived a few mins ago to seemingly rescue it, has there literally been two DRS failures so far today?

Status
Not open for further replies.