• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Saturday 21/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Indeed, and this is part of the fragmentation brought on by privatisation. Introduced by the Government which now says the railways cost too much to run.
But that was not necessarily caused by privatisation, or by government (of whatever hue; privatisation has been under long periods of both major administrations) decision. It was determined by railway staff. The government did not say "Go out and buy trains incompatible in controls and couplings with what those in the depot next door have"; it was railway staff who decided to buy them. They did not say "Don't train crews from Plymouth to know the way to London by both Westbury and Bristol". It was railway staff who decided to stop regular rostering across a range of routes there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class43lover

Meaning "special service", so I would suspect some kind of weird emergency timetable was in operation.
Most likely - it’s interesting that operators chose to use the letter Z as the rest of the HEADCODE stayed the same as normal service - I hope no one attempted to go and watch these thinking it was a steam/diesel charter

Also did anyone noticed that GWR were running a 14 car 800 between Paddington and Swansea via parkway? A 5 + 9 car formation. As it returned with the whole set doing a there and back I’m confused as it could’ve just been a stock movement for the 5 car but no, does anyone know anything about this? For starters this was pointless as it wouldn’t have fit into most of the stations

is this to avoid overcrowding or to do with storm Babet?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Meaning "special service", so I would suspect some kind of weird emergency timetable was in operation.
Certainly was weird. Nothing between Leeds and Derby even though Leeds to Sheffield was fully open and only an hourly 170 operating between Derby and Birmingham,

Most likely - it’s interesting that operators chose to use the letter Z as the rest of the HEADCODE stayed the same as normal service - I hope no one attempted to go and watch these thinking it was a steam/diesel charter

Also did anyone noticed that GWR were running a 14 car 800 between Paddington and Swansea via parkway? A 5 + 9 car formation. As it returned with the whole set doing a there and back I’m confused as it could’ve just been a stock movement for the 5 car but no, does anyone know anything about this? For starters this was pointless as it wouldn’t have fit into most of the stations

The 14 car is probably an error in RTT.

Purple Train

Established Member
:lol:

Genuine question - were they actually, or is this just RTT not correctly displaying a set swap? I would suspect the latter, as it's been a fairly common problem during widespread disruption.

Trainguy34

Looks like the 9 Car ran it. going back the 5 Car was the original allox however it was cancelled then the 9 Car alloxed over the top.

Class43lover

Also just a query last Sunday I was up at temple meads and I wondered why Gwr reinstated a service delayed by 45 minutes after it had been cancelled when the next train was in 10 minutes. It also compromised half of the station as they put it on platform 5/6 where it sat for at least 15 minutes before leaving - in that time it made cross country passengers almost miss their train as it caused a platform change which was extremely last minute - made as the train pulled in late so left 3 minutes after arriving at the station

Spartacus

Established Member

I've not looked but with the levels of disruption I suspect they've been using different portions of the original schedules but with gaps where the flooding is. You can't do that with just one schedule, cancelling it here, reinstating it there, and creating extras with the same headcode would create a duplicate, and all sorts of problems, so the obvious move is any new schedules created being 1Zulus.

Established Member
Also just a query last Sunday I was up at temple meads and I wondered why Gwr reinstated a service delayed by 45 minutes after it had been cancelled when the next train was in 10 minutes. It also compromised half of the station as they put it on platform 5/6 where it sat for at least 15 minutes before leaving - in that time it made cross country passengers almost miss their train as it caused a platform change which was extremely last minute - made as the train pulled in late so left 3 minutes after arriving at the station
Gwr didn’t put it on 5/6, the signaller did, therefore the signaller not Gwr made the xc need a platform change

Class43lover

I've not looked but with the levels of disruption I suspect they've been using different portions of the original schedules but with gaps where the flooding is. You can't do that with just one schedule, cancelling it here, reinstating it there, and creating extras with the same headcode would create a duplicate, and all sorts of problems, so the obvious move is any new schedules created being 1Zulus.
Ok makes sense

WAB

But that was not necessarily caused by privatisation, or by government (of whatever hue; privatisation has been under long periods of both major administrations) decision. It was determined by railway staff. The government did not say "Go out and buy trains incompatible in controls and couplings with what those in the depot next door have"; it was railway staff who decided to buy them. They did not say "Don't train crews from Plymouth to know the way to London by both Westbury and Bristol". It was railway staff who decided to stop regular rostering across a range of routes there.
Because they were being sat on by their commercial masters, perhaps?

MikeWM

Established Member
Also, BBC reporting Kings Cross currently closed to passengers, as the concourse area is full and over crowded.

I arrived at KGX today at about 1430 and it was in a rather odd state - all the doors at the front, both the 'exit' and 'entrance', were closed, with lots of people standing outside the entrance doors waiting to be let in - but the doors on the 'semi-circle' nearer to platforms 9 and 10 were totally open for passing through in both directions (?!).

The internal escalators down to the underground were roped off too, which seemed a little odd if they were trying to move people out of the station.

The concourse itself was averagely busy. Nothing remarkable.

Somewhere

It won't be a 14 coach train. Due to the disruption they won't be able to keep up with where the units are, so the computer will think there's two units allocated to that train, and there'll be another train somewhere else without a unit allocated to it

Last edited:

josh-j

Here's what happened to 3 EMR drivers who were being taxied around
I was trying to travel yesterday and the train, already disrupted, was effectively delayed indefinitely due to "waiting for a driver". This caused someone I was near to say something along the lines of "well the train got here so how can there not be a driver".

This line of thinking must be very common in disruption - the typical "it's just an excuse, they can't be bothered" mindset - and its pretty understandable really where it comes from, even though it isn't correct.

I think if the announcement said "waiting for a driver who is trying to travel from elsewhere" it would go down a lot better I think and put people in mind of the fact staff are working very hard to try and run services during disruption like that.

ld0595

Without wanting to complain much given the circumstances, it seems (on the face of it) a bit OTT that ScotRail cancelled services up to Dundee. There was hardly any rain in the area and I'm fairly sure Network Rail announced last night on X/Twitter that the line was open. I arrived at 2 and the ground was bone dry with a light rain starting just after 3.

Appreciate that there could be operational issues (especially since Perth tends to have a staff change) but it seemed a bit OTT to me.

InOban

Established Member
Without wanting to complain much given the circumstances, it seems (on the face of it) a bit OTT that ScotRail cancelled services up to Dundee. There was hardly any rain in the area and I'm fairly sure Network Rail announced last night on X/Twitter that the line was open. I arrived at 2 and the ground was bone dry with a light rain starting just after 3.

Appreciate that there could be operational issues (especially since Perth tends to have a staff change) but it seemed a bit OTT to me.
The lines through Fife were opened during the morning and the line between Perth and Dundee opened later.

The decision by Scotrail to announce the closure of certain routes well in advance was undoubtedly correct .It meant that there were no stranded passengers in stuck trains, or trains and crew out of position. They were able to progressively restore services smoothly.I think many parts of England wish they had been able to do the same.

The only disruption was on the WHL which hadn't been closed but then suffered from trees blowing on to the line between Crianlarich and Oban (The road suffered in the same way but there are lots of people with chainsaws who don't need years of training before removing such obstructions )

Omnishambles

@Class43lover
5+9 14 coach GWR most definitely not in real-life Passenger service. As one poster put, a data overlap which is seen quite regular and more so during disruption..
As for 1Zxx head does this is standard practice during any disruption or even a single partial cancellation, so for instance you may have seen 1V01 running as that from Newcastle to Birmingham, cancelled to Bristol and then 1Z01 from Bristol to Plymouth, as a plucked from the air example….and don’t get me started on how much that completely differs from 1Zxx headcodes in my youth and how that’s changed over the years

ScotRail cancelled services as the infrastructure wasn't available to them. The lines has been closed by Network Rail.
Following a red weather warning (danger to life - trains stop) with a surrounding Amber warning (trains removed for safety) which encompassed the eastern side of Scotland; the routes required to be "proved" (free of obstruction) before passenger services could commence.
This, obviously, takes time.

Moderator note:

For travel advice today, please use:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/travel-advice-sunday-22-10.256560/

To discuss travel experiences during Storm Babet please use:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/travel-experiences-during-storm-babet.256507/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.