• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Gerrit related disruptions-27/12/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightonbd

I think the line from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is still closed, with LNER saying "no current estimate for reopening". Does anyone have any info on the chances of services running by Saturday 30th December, afternoon? Thanks
Scotrail are being v active on Twitter, to their credit and have just announced some buses Aberdeen-Perth for today. No word on the line reopening, though several of the closed lines (mainly around Glasgow, plus Inverness (INV) -Elgin and INV- Dingwall) have reopened. Not INV- Perth, though (which I am monitoring!). Today feels like a write off. The Chieftain is still indicated on RTT as going all the way to INV which will be a test case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Just had a WhatsApp - with video attached - from a friend in Saltcoats, saying that Kilwinning -Ardrossan/Largs has been suspended since about 14 00.

BRX

Established Member
Scotrail are being v active on Twitter, to their credit and have just announced some buses Aberdeen-Perth for today. No word on the line reopening, though several of the closed lines (mainly around Glasgow, plus Inverness (INV) -Elgin and INV- Dingwall) have reopened. Not INV- Perth, though (which I am monitoring!). Today feels like a write off. The Chieftain is still indicated on RTT as going all the way to INV which will be a test case.
I am monitoring inv-perth too. I have an interest in the chieftain making it through as I'm supposed to be traveling on the first southbound Scotrail service that follows it down the line in the morning...

uww11x

There's loads of trees down between Perth-Inverness Route blocked until Tomorrow at the earliest

gazzaa2

It is worth mentioning that in Scotland at least it was not just the railway affected by the weather but multiple roads were closed as well. Sometimes adverse weather will overcome all reasonable measures to cope with it.

Yeah, Scotland has had much of the worst of it the last week. With extreme weather all travel can be affected.

I've been stranded in the cold outside Preston station too often though to trust Avanti to get me north of Preston one way or the other.

BRX

Established Member
There's loads of trees down between Perth-Inverness Route blocked until Tomorrow at the earliest
They've just announced that it's re-opened now.

Most routes have now reopened. Check our app or website for the latest on your journey.

Only these routes remain closed for now:
Cupar - Dundee (until 29 Dec at least)
Kilmarnock - Dumfries (until 29 Dec at least)
Dundee - Aberdeen

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The above linked Tweet (post) from ScotRail, timed at 4.32 p.m. today, specifically states...
Most routes have now reopened. Check our app or website for the latest on your journey.

Only these routes remain closed for now:

Cupar - Dundee (until 29 Dec at least)
Kilmarnock - Dumfries (until 29 Dec at least)
Dundee - Aberdeen

amarshe

It ran, but around 3hrs late. But you probably know that by now :)

There was reports of issues with the OLE around Alnmouth that required inspection. Things got moving pretty quickly though.
:) thanks yes - they made it - a lot of mixed messaging (Lumo website saying it would terminate at Newcastle contradicted the twitter feed saying it would go through to Edinburgh). All credit to all involved for getting it there.

:) thanks yes - they made it - a lot of mixed messaging (Lumo website saying it would terminate at Newcastle contradicted the twitter feed saying it would go through to Edinburgh). All credit to all involved for getting it there.

It was originally cancelled from Newcastle, but then reinstated. Glad it ran for your family though.

ruaival

People should have travel insurance for this sort of thing, however many seem to think that travel insurance is only for foreign trips.
I thought travel insurance for UK trips required the claimant to have pre-booked accommodation if a claim is to be valid for travel disruption payout?

Established Member
I thought travel insurance for UK trips required the claimant to have pre-booked accommodation if a claim is to be valid for travel disruption payout?
I think even if pre-booked, policy has which covered uk stated you had to notify them of a trip within the uk before travel.

island

Veteran Member
I think even if pre-booked, policy has which covered uk stated you had to notify them of a trip within the uk before travel.
I've never come across that, but minimums of 2/3 nights and the requirement to have booked accommodation are commonplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.