• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Henk travel disruption 02/01/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sly Old Fox

Almost every time it rains that tunnel gets flooded. They usually halve the service and divert via Bath Spa which adds 45 minutes if the train makes it or otherwise gets turned at Reading.

I’ve got to travel from Cardiff to London now to do emergency rail replacement, fingers crossed it doesn’t take all evening :)

It’s not actually the tunnel that floods, it’s about half a mile west of the tunnel portal. Chipping Sodbury Tunnel is just an easy marker to identify the location.

It’s also been closed for three days straight now.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Looks like we're at a standstill between Wickford and Southend Vic now.
EDIT - Southminster branch now closed too.

6Gman

Established Member
Flooding reported at Madeley (between Stafford and Crewe)
Appears to have shut the Fast but Slow still open at 1600-ish.

9M55 left Crewe on the Up Fast, stopped between Basford Hall and Betley Road. Then reversed to Crewe and left again (45 minutes late) on the Up Slow.

Slow lines ... busy!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Almost every time it rains that tunnel gets flooded. They usually halve the service and divert via Bath Spa which adds 45 minutes if the train makes it or otherwise gets turned at Reading.

I’ve got to travel from Cardiff to London now to do emergency rail replacement, fingers crossed it doesn’t take all evening :)
It was flooding there 40 years ago when we lived a couple of miles from it.
Various attempts have been made to cure it, but the local geology seems to defeat all attempts.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Southminster line reopened, must have been a small branch. Southend Vic still at a standstill.

MrB

Issuing "Do Not Travel" warnings after everyone has got to work, and just before they start their evening commutes, often with no alternative routes, is rather farcical.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Tree on the line - Worcester Park. Might be on the junction as there's a Chessington not moved from Motspur Park for over an hour.

Another one at Bookham.

Possibly one at Cheam - looks like a Horsham service has been sitting there for nearly two hours now.

Couru

From what I can tell, there's about seven lines blocked by fallen trees in the Farnham/Farnborough area.

Screw trainspotting, I want to go treespotting!

Established Member
Issuing "Do Not Travel" warnings after everyone has got to work, and just before they start their evening commutes, often with no alternative routes, is rather farcical.
It’s more aimed at people who would be starting there journey who could possibly replan.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Have they?
According to the Met Office many areas received twice the amount of rainfall in Dec than is normal, and I think Aberdeen three times. That is not "typical British weather"
It will be typical British weather once you average it out over the course of the whole winter. For example, most reputable weather websites are predicting a dry spell of nearly two weeks once we get today's rain out of the way

Couru

Is it me, or is this turning out far worse a storm than was forecast?
Yes, it is. Henk was only named this morning, the intensification was so unexpected. To quote the Beeb, from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67861206:

"The storm, which will track across mid-Wales through to Lincolnshire, was named much later than usual - only hours before the impact was due to be felt.
This was down to its small size and because it was still developing early on Tuesday morning.
Early forecasts were for gusts of around 70mph but some computer models were suggesting a stronger swathe of winds, while others weren't - leading to uncertainty.
But as higher resolution models confirmed the potential for stronger wind gusts, there was greater certainty in the forecast and its potential impact."

Ken H

On Moderation
Extreme events are more frequent , but this is not an example of an extreme event and the last couple of weeks have been typical British winter weather. Climate Change is not an excuse to defund infrastructure and pretend the inevitable results have got nothing to with the government.
River heights at Worcester. Its be the river gate into the cathedral close. The highest one is 1672.
(Link goes to image of stones set into a wall by River Severn with dates, showing highest flood levels.)

Trainguy34

Medway Valley is getting somewhere I think, a 1Z99 is appearing on Traksy, along with a 2Z02, annoyingly not in RTT as I've been looking for the unit forming this (375 309). Anyone know what 1Z99 is?

ABDeltic

No main line departures from Waterloo since around 1500. Currently on 1550 to Salisbury with no prospect of leaving.

Wivenswold

Established Member
I agree in principle but sometimes nature throws-up unexpected events. I'm sure the TOCs would have preferred to have issued that warning last night rather than have full trains suck between stations but the Met Office and TOCs would have got even more flack if they'd warned everyone not to travel and this was a non-event.

We've all seen the comments on here over the years complaining that services are cut when the weather isn't that extreme. The TOCs can't win but it's better to put a warning out now so those making evening journeys are prepared.
EDIT: Just checked the BBC lunchtime forecast, winds of 40-60mph mentioned for the South, latest highest gusts approaching 70mph.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Is it me, or is this turning out far worse a storm than was forecast?

Our recent regional forecasts (Bristol based) had all mentioned it for 2-3 days.

Although all said probably be in channel, but could track nearer M4 corridor and be very windy and disruptive.

Couru

Would that bridge have been maintained by Network Rail , or considering the vintage look of the station, by some kind of "Friends of Okehampton" group?
The council. Okehampton was only reopened in 2019, and the council retained responsibility for the two disused platforms and the (unused) footbridge.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Nine stood on the Up Main RDG to PADD Up Relief moving would have been a lottery at Reading which GWR IET to take

ricoblade

All trains cancelled betwen Sheffield and Lincoln (flooding at Kiveton again?), daughter stuck at Meadowhall, have sent the Thunderbird car, will see if the roads are any better :(

Omnishambles

From what I can tell, there's about seven lines blocked by fallen trees in the Farnham/Farnborough area.

Screw trainspotting, I want to go treespotting!
Also on Rdg-Bsk line so no diversionary route to Basingstoke

Wivenswold

Established Member
It'll be frozen points in a week's time. No, really.
Confirmation on the signal maps that the line is blocked between Hockley and Rayleigh.
Up Electric Line GEML between Forest Gate and Maryland now also blocked.

If you're heading to Southend, use C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.