• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Isha may affect your journey in parts of England, Scotland and Wales on Sunday 21 and Monday 22 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I would suggest however that "no reason" is untrue and although it might not appear outwardly obvious, there will be a (few) reasons.
Well yes, there obviously are reasons. Whether those reasons are genuine or not remains to be seen.

We've ran a service plan implemented during the day, they have shut down.

In fact, we're running trains on the same track that they could be right now. Surely they are able to plan crew at short notice too. And they have the bonus of having drivers on commited Sunday contracts (unlike here).

Were just left to pick up the pieces (and the vast majority of their passengers). Never happens the other way around, does it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

We are in Northern Ireland and all flights were cancelled today. Soonest to our destination was Tuesday (as everybody had grabbed the spare seats on the planes tomorrow), so we are going to Edinburgh and getting the train south in the later afternoon. Fingers crossed trains will be running then.

Banham7

Seen a Tenerife to Dublin ended up diverting to Bordeaux!
EasyJet U2319, from Edinburgh to Bristol diverted to Charles de Gaulle, I hope everyone had their passports, as typically ID is not needed for easyJet domestic flights o_O

Edit: The flight is actually pulling an all-nighter in Paris, leaving 1pm tomorrow!

Attachments

• DB74EBAD-3A93-4697-A3CD-783ABE4F82C3.jpeg
    DB74EBAD-3A93-4697-A3CD-783ABE4F82C3.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 121

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
We do seem to be heading towards a fair weather railway it seems.

Maybe we need a national program of vegetation management involving removing as many lineside trees as possible...
Yes we are more risk adverse but the reality is in high winds the infrastructure is just too exposed to fallen trees compared to the 1960's and before and we've seen only recently the consequences of collision with trees. The railway is dammed whatever it does but the last thing it needs at the moment is another Carmont.

Sorcerer

I wish that I accounted for Storm Isha when I booked tickets to travel on TransPennine Express tomorrow, but since it was done as part of a £1 sale I can't complain too much about cancellations. I'm just hoping I don't somehow end up getting stuck in Newcastle on the way back. Will have to play it by ear tomorrow.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
EasyJet U2319, from Edinburgh to Bristol diverted to Charles de Gaulle, I hope everyone had their passports, as typically ID is not needed for easyJet domestic flights o_O

Edit: The flight is actually pulling an all-nighter in Paris, leaving 1pm tomorrow!
The all-nighter is not entirely surprising; the crew will need a minimum of 12 hours' rest due to CAA regulations. Given the time of arrival and the time taken to get to and from the hotel, that's about the earliest they could depart.

6Gman

Established Member
For those comparing the railway to airlines can I just note that landslips, falling trees and flying trampolines are rare at 20,000 feet.

We do seem to be heading towards a fair weather railway it seems.

Maybe we need a national program of vegetation management involving removing as many lineside trees as possible...
Many incidents on the rail network are caused by trees on land outside the ownership of Network Rail

Suspension of train services due to winter weather (which is always very short notice) would probably cause less frustration for travelers if the railway didn't treat anyone booking a long distance journey less than two weeks ahead (let alone a flexible ticket!) as a nuisance they would much prefer to price out of existence. I delayed booking Bromborough - Banbury tomorrow until the 2-week notice period for strike action had closed (which meant a more expensive ticket, as advances were running out). It seems that passengers are encouraged to book ahead in a rigid framework when it suits the operators, but then to be flexible about traveling on different days when weather arrives!

There also seems to be a very blanket approach to wind speeds. 70 mph gusts happen here (Wirral) multiple times every year. The first one in autumn brings down some trees, but after that there is rarely much damage unless a designer has been stupid. There is a tale of an entire road's worth of streetlights being lost, after the (national) designer didn't believe the local information that they would see 80 mph every winter due to an exposed coastal location, but it got fixed - said road hasn't been closed due to high winds or damage for a long time. It feels like storm warnings are issued much more readily than they used to be, which leads to a perception that they are issued for conditions which won't actually have much impact (Merseyrail still running fine earlier this evening, despite dire warnings on their website. I see they now have a couple of trees down).

Saint66

Lines blocked on the Midland Main Line at West Hampstead due to an object caught in the OHLE.

Established Member

There’s a Tenerife to Edinburgh diverting to Cologne!

Lucy1501

I just got back home after going from Derby to Penrith via Sheffield, Leeds and Lancaster. Train was cancelled at Skipton, then was rerouted via the S&C. 30 minutes late on the train to Carlisle, and I got a train down the coast to Workington as I live halfway between the two! The Carlisle to Workington train 2C34 was quite an adventure!

Halfway between Currock Junction and Dalston we hit a tree and stopped to examine the train at Dalston station. Driver didn't see it because it was just after a signal.

We then hit another tree shortly afterwards and the driver had to get down on the cess to inspect the train!

Although there was a blanket 50mph restriction (vice 60mph), we slowed down to a maximum of 30mph until after Maryport.

We hit three more trees between Wigton and Aspatria, one of which was 12" thick and went from the Up cess to the Down 6 foot! We had an off duty driver on board who, alongside the driver, got down on the ballast to remove the tree from under it. The driver then drew forward at 2mph to try get over it whilst the off duty one watched.

After Aspatria a branch went under the train. Not a huge fuss.

I got into Workington 80 minutes late. All the staff were great and really helped along the way! Certainly one of the more exciting journeys I've had.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I just got back home after going from Derby to Penrith via Sheffield, Leeds and Lancaster. Train was cancelled at Skipton, then was rerouted via the S&C. 30 minutes late on the train to Carlisle, and I got a train down the coast to Workington as I live halfway between the two! The Carlisle to Workington train 2C34 was quite an adventure!

Halfway between Currock Junction and Dalston we hit a tree and stopped to examine the train at Dalston station. Driver didn't see it because it was just after a signal.

We then hit another tree shortly afterwards and the driver had to get down on the cess to inspect the train!

Although there was a blanket 50mph restriction (vice 60mph), we slowed down to a maximum of 30mph until after Maryport.

We hit three more trees between Wigton and Aspatria, one of which was 12" thick and went from the Up cess to the Down 6 foot! We had an off duty driver on board who, alongside the driver, got down on the ballast to remove the tree from under it. The driver then drew forward at 2mph to try get over it whilst the off duty one watched.

After Aspatria a branch went under the train. Not a huge fuss.

I got into Workington 80 minutes late. All the staff were great and really helped along the way! Certainly one of the more exciting journeys I've had.
A great example of railway staff going above and beyond but of course DafT have no idea of what really happens and that by their behaviour they are destroying the goodwill that sees the railway through the bad days. Loss of goodwill will be so much more negative for the industry than just giving a fair pay award.

Dan G

We are in Northern Ireland and all flights were cancelled today. Soonest to our destination was Tuesday (as everybody had grabbed the spare seats on the planes tomorrow), so we are going to Edinburgh and getting the train south in the later afternoon. Fingers crossed trains will be running then.
There are at least six airliners at one of the Belfast airports waiting for the wind speed to drop low enough to get air stairs to them

There’s a Tenerife to Edinburgh diverting to Cologne!
I've seen seven flights into Gatwick divert elsewhere tonight, six to Europe and one to Birmingham(!). Probably been many more when I've not been looking.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Seen a Tenerife to Dublin ended up diverting to Bordeaux!
Or the Manchester to Dublin flight that ended up diverting to Paris Beauvais!

Aviation is slightly more resilient in these conditions because the aircraft are built to handle landing in strong winds, it has to be something super major to close an airport fully. A Boeing 737 can land in gusts of up to 35 knots/40 miles per hour, anything above that means diversion.

A lot of the diverted flights had already departed their origin before things worsened, and airlines (especially the low cost ones) would rather chance their luck at landing than cancelling flights outright. Things can change quickly. BA had cancelled a number of domestic flights in advance today, but Ryanair and easyJet kept going. Granted they mostly got diverted, they at least tried to operate normally.

Up here in Edinburgh, it's been a bit blowy all day but worsened about 6pm, but within the last hour it's peaked. I'm in a third floor flat and I've never seen anything like it.

GordonT

Aviation is slightly more resilient in these conditions because the aircraft are built to handle landing in strong winds, it has to be something super major to close an airport fully. A Boeing 737 can land in gusts of up to 35 knots/40 miles per hour, anything above that means diversion.

A lot of the diverted flights had already departed their origin before things worsened, and airlines (especially the low cost ones) would rather chance their luck at landing than cancelling flights outright. Things can change quickly. BA had cancelled a number of domestic flights in advance today, but Ryanair and easyJet kept going. Granted they mostly got diverted, they at least tried to operate normally.

Up here in Edinburgh, it's been a bit blowy all day but worsened about 6pm, but within the last hour it's peaked. I'm in a third floor flat and I've never seen anything like it.
A Krakow-Bristol was diverted onwards to Edinburgh before the wind in Edinburgh got a bit more sporty.

Peter0124

Established Member
Also a TUI holiday flight from Egypt to Glasgow diverted to Manchester and took 7 hours, all on a 737!

kristiang85

Established Member
There was a Manchester to Dublin Ryanair diverted to Paris earlier apparently.

Established Member

There’s a Ryanair just gone around at Edinburgh again now heading for,Cologne

Scotrail314209

Established Member
A Krakow-Bristol was diverted onwards to Edinburgh before the wind in Edinburgh got a bit more sporty.
Edinburgh has fared generally well today compared to everywhere else, but three Ryanair flights in a row have both had to go-around and all three are diverting.

Although it was widely forecast that the peak of the storm will be in the early hours, getting to Ayrshire tomorrow will be fun.

Rhinojerry

Edinburgh has fared generally well today compared to everywhere else, but three Ryanair flights in a row have both had to go-around and all three are diverting.

Although it was widely forecast that the peak of the storm will be in the early hours, getting to Ayrshire tomorrow will be fun.
The Flt from Dublin made it,Stanstead is going round again,and the one from Shannon has given now hdg who knows where.31000 ft and climbing,feel for those on board,cant be nice.

The Shannon to Edinburgh now about to land at Cologne.Strangely enough 3 flights have just made it to Edinburgh,guess the wind is abating a bit.Here in Preston it has dropped off a lot.Crazy.

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
According to JourneyCheck, Scotrail are listing 2185 trains as cancelled.

I’m assuming this means that there won’t be anything tomorrow, or if there is something it’ll be very little.

Established Member
ECML to remain closed between Dunbar and Edinburgh until estimate of 12pm due to the OHl damage at Markle.
The winds over night hampering the attempts to repair.
LNER starting and terminating a couple of services at Dunbar.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There was a Manchester to Dublin Ryanair diverted to Paris earlier apparently.
There’s a Ryanair just gone around at Edinburgh again now heading for,Cologne
Why so far? Were the planes scheduled to be going there next anyway? And what happens to the passengers ending up in Paris, Cologne or wherever?

According to JourneyCheck, Scotrail are listing 2185 trains as cancelled.

I’m assuming this means that there won’t be anything tomorrow, or if there is something it’ll be very little.
For context, just how many train services do Scotrail operate on a 'normal' weekday? At the least, understand that most/all of their Monday morning timetable will be / has been binned off until lines can be properly inspected.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
For context, just how many train services do Scotrail operate on a 'normal' weekday? At the least, understand that most/all of their Monday morning timetable will be / has been binned off until lines can be properly inspected
As far as I can see on RTT, all Scotrail services all day have been removed from the timetable today.

Established Member
Just finished work. 50mph blanket ESR in place.

cuccir

Established Member
I notice that the 06:15 from King's Cross has set off for Edinburgh, due to arrive at 11:15 and is the earliest planned arrival into Edinburgh today

Status
Not open for further replies.